Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,566,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
A moment of inattention, with tragic consequences.
The teaching of gun handling was not irresponsible. Not continuing the teaching was. The child should have been allowed to actually fire the gun (in a safe environment), so he would know more than the fact that nothing happens when the gun is dry fired. He was not taught about loaded guns! THAT, IMO, was the failure!
Two is far too young to be handling a gun. Period. I mean, seriously, would you expect a two-year old to be able to cross the street alone, simply because someone had explained to him about traffic safety? At that age, kids will put their hands on a lit stove, just to see if it's really hot.

Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:19 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,827,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A 2-year old?
Local tv news station said the other night that "the mother would allow the two year old to pull the trigger after she unloaded the gun", so he could get the feel of it.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Way too young. My personal opinion is that kids shouldn't handle guns until they understand that guns can kill, and that dead means forever. That said, I made my kids take a safety course when they were 5, 7, and 8. They weren't allowed to actually shoot until they were older.
Can't rep you again.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,940,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Two is far too young to be handling a gun. Period. I mean, seriously, would you expect a two-year old to be able to cross the street alone, simply because someone had explained to him about traffic safety? At that age, kids will put their hands on a lit stove, just to see if it's really hot.

Good grief.
Perhaps two is too young. However, once started, the teaching MUST be continued. Daily, if necessary.
Even if the parent does not own guns, the teaching should be done.
Let me rephrase that: ESPECIALLY if the parent does not own guns, the teaching should be done!
If the kid is old enough to walk and talk, it needs to be taught about the dangers of the world. That includes busy streets, potato peelers, knives, hot stoves, and, yes, GUNS! It is very necessary to be sure the difference between toys and tools is well known. A gun is a tool, not a toy. THAT was the failure here!

Old 03-22-2017, 09:35 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,827,604 times
Guns are instant and final and don’t belong in the hands or near kids.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Perhaps two is too young. However, once started, the teaching MUST be continued. Daily, if necessary.
Even if the parent does not own guns, the teaching should be done.
Let me rephrase that: ESPECIALLY if the parent does not own guns, the teaching should be done!
If the kid is old enough to walk and talk, it needs to be taught about the dangers of the world. That includes busy streets, potato peelers, knives, hot stoves, and, yes, GUNS! It is very necessary to be sure the difference between toys and tools is well known. A gun is a tool, not a toy. THAT was the failure here!
I agree with you that the training must continue. When it comes to guns, the training must begin with the habit of treating any gun as loaded, even if you emptied it yourself five minutes ago.

However, I stand by my original statement. Two is much too young. The only thing a two-year-old has any business knowing about guns is that touching them is strictly forbidden.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:37 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,234,921 times
My 2 year old doesn't even know we have guns.
By they are ALL LOCKED UP IN COMBINATION SAFES.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM

19,712 posts, read 10,061,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
A TWO YEAR OLD?????

I know some people aren't going to like this but IMO I don't think kids under the age of 10 or so have the maturity to safely handle a firearm, and even 10 is pushing it. I think high school age (13/14) minimum would be more appropriate.
I was rabbit hunting by age 8. And cleaning them for supper. Most rural kids learn to shoot by age 6 or 7. We also learn gun safety.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:22 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,479,093 times
Sometimes stupid is self-correcting.

Other times, it's just tragic.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I was rabbit hunting by age 8. And cleaning them for supper. Most rural kids learn to shoot by age 6 or 7. We also learn gun safety.
There is a vast difference between two and six or seven. Surely you are not defending the actions of this idiot mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies