Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:59 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My 2 year old doesn't even know we have guns.
By they are ALL LOCKED UP IN COMBINATION SAFES.

You and your family will likely end up dead in an armed home invasion where the invader has no intention of letting anyone live. In that scenario those guns are less helpful than a corkscrew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I was rabbit hunting by age 8. And cleaning them for supper. Most rural kids learn to shoot by age 6 or 7. We also learn gun safety.

I started my firearm safety and shooting at 4. It's what some country folks do when they see their kids are capable and normal. Myself, I held off teaching our oldest until he was 7. He had a hearing defect that we had to overcome first. The 2nd boy, not until he was 10. Too much opposition defiance.

Each circumstance gets weighed based on the child.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This has nothing to do with the firearm itself, it is the neglect of the parent. Replace the word Firearm with Radial saw, J.i.g. saw, Power Drill, Blow Torch, Cut Off Wheel , Nail Gun , etc.....

THIS is reality. Living is dangerous. The world is especially dangerous for children learning. Should we just wrap them up in bubble wrap to protect them, keeping them away from any and everything like a Big Wheel or a bicycle just because it could hurt them, or do we guide and teach them?

Old 03-22-2017, 03:07 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
This has nothing to do with the firearm itself, it is the neglect of the parent. Replace the word Firearm with Radial saw, J.i.g. saw, Power Drill, Blow Torch, Cut Off Wheel , Nail Gun , etc.....
Agreed. I think anyone who allows a toddler to handle any of the items you just listed is guilty of criminal negligence, and that includes a gun. The law should reflect that, if it doesn't already.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Agreed. I think anyone who allows a toddler to handle any of the items you just listed is guilty of criminal negligence, and that includes a gun. The law should reflect that, if it doesn't already.

That statement is ridiculous. There are any number of things that can seriously harm a child including a spoon. That child can also inflict harm with a spoon. Should we also pass a law to incarcerate anyone who allows their toddler to touch a spoon?

Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
You and your family will likely end up dead in an armed home invasion where the invader has no intention of letting anyone live. In that scenario those guns are less helpful than a corkscrew.
Not everyone who keeps guns does so for home defense. Some people just hunt with them. If that is the case, and there are small children in the home, then yes, this is the best option.

Quote:
That statement is ridiculous. There are any number of things that can seriously harm a child including a spoon. That child can also inflict harm with a spoon. Should we also pass a law to incarcerate anyone who allows their toddler to touch a spoon?
It's certainly no more ridiculous that suggesting that a spoon is even remotely as dangerous as a blow torch or a gun. Good grief.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:54 PM

15,864 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
What's going on in Northeast Kansas? "Will likely end up dead in an armed home invasion" - oy vey. Have you thought of moving somewhere safer and living without such fear?

No 2 year old should have access to a gun as if it was a toy. They are too young to understand cause and effect. If you're not old enough to understand death then you're not old enough to understand, "Never point this at something unless you're willing to shoot." A home with a 2 year old in it ESPECIALLY must have firearms secured.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:33 PM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Indeed. And the only thing kids need to know about these are "Don't touch!". Of course, a responsible parent locks them the eff up - pretty rare to see someone insisting on open-carrying a chainsaw.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:35 PM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Should we just wrap them up in bubble wrap to protect them, keeping them away from any and everything like a Big Wheel or a bicycle just because it could hurt them, or do we guide and teach them?
We went from circular saw to bicycle in a great big hurry, didn't we?

Old 03-22-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Indeed. And the only thing kids need to know about these are "Don't touch!". Of course, a responsible parent locks them the eff up - pretty rare to see someone insisting on open-carrying a chainsaw.
Or a mother teaching her toddler about kitchen safety by letting him play with a meat cleaver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies