Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:10 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Not unnoticed at all -- it's in all the news. Or in the news I read.
waldo likes to post anything and everything that might distract , and likes to pretend she is drawing attention to things the "msm" is not telling the public.

These pipelines are not really needed and are more about Trump pandering to his base. 20K jobs my arse, more like 20k temp jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 10:11 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
More from our brilliant president. Seeing how he loves taking landowners' property away using Eminent Domain, he cannot understand why they need permission. And of course, Trump is lying about the amount of jobs--would expect nothing less.

"....The company last month filed for the Nebraska PSC permit, which is necessary for construction and in cases in which the company resorts to using eminent domain because landowners refuse to let construction take place.

At the Oval Office Friday, Trump seemed surprised that TransCanada still needed the state’s approval. Trump said “I’ll call Nebraska.” He praised Nebraska’s governor Pete Ricketts (R) and said he would call Ricketts today. Ricketts, however, does not have a role in the PSC decision...."

A State Department report on the pipeline that was issued under the Obama administration found that there would be 3,900 direct construction jobs if it was built over one year, or 1,950 if the work was spread over two years....Once the pipeline opens it would require only 35 full-time permanent jobs to run it, and 15 full-time temporary jobs,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/03/24/trump-administration-grants-approval-for-keystone-xl-pipeline/?utm_term=.65bb07fd58e1

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-24/transcanada-granted-presidential-permit-for-keystone-xl-pipeline
I have to color and highlight the above. The rubes that think, "OMG hundreds of thousands of jobs!111!11!!" is all gonna disappear rather quickly. You want to brag about creating infrastructure jobs? Instead of getting a "certain sexual reaction" out of building an oil pipeline, how about rebuilding all of the water and sewer infrastructure in the US? There's your hundreds of thousands of jobs, and it's not gonna take 1 year to complete I can tell you

Old 03-24-2017, 10:14 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
As much as Obama tried, American ingenuity can not be stopped.

Go Trump!

Old 03-24-2017, 11:40 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
i'm torn. As for the environment -- I think it is disastrous...especially considering the source of the oil.

As a Canadian first (American only since 2008) I know that Alberta needs this they are hurting bad in that province for jobs and it will indeed return jobs to them..

As an American - I'm wondering if the job benefit will really beneficial -- given this is a Canadian company's project. I know they have to abide by the original agreement and use some American resources (human and otherwise) but is the gain really going to be worth it for the potential for environmental damage either just occurring because of the construction, or with accidental leaks.

I'm uncommitted on this issue...but think it is a little ironic that the big project that 'Make America Great Again" administration is all puffed up in the chest about, is a Canadian project.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Canadian Company selling Canadian Oil, building the pipeline with Canadian workers, Russian and Korean steel and being sold to the Pacific Rim countries not named U.S.A, all while using eminent domain to kick about 200 farmers off of their property

Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Those "jobs" will last about two weeks and the pipeline is NOT being built with American steel. More BS from your fact-free President.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
waldo likes to post anything and everything that might distract , and likes to pretend she is drawing attention to things the "msm" is not telling the public.
Dear,

If my posts drive you to uncontrolled distraction, and you can't handle it, then put me on ignore. The rest of us are adults and can decide on our own what is important and what isn't.

In this case, Donald Trump kept a campaign promise. It's nice to see a President do that for a change.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:53 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,786,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The pipeline that isn't necessary and will endanger a third of the country's water supply, but has long been an AM talk-radio talking point, much like ANWR.
Agreed.
Tar sands oil from Canada is not the answer. There is no justification for the harm this will cause to our air, soil and waterways--so that oil companies can make more money.

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/dirty-f...-tar-sands-oil

This link goes into more detail on how much pollution will be caused. I still hope somehow this can be defeated.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Canadian Company selling Canadian Oil, building the pipeline with Canadian workers, Russian and Korean steel and being sold to the Pacific Rim countries not named U.S.A, all while using eminent domain to kick about 200 farmers off of their property
American ingenuity at its best! Making America Great Again.....

Isn't it ironic........

Old 03-24-2017, 11:56 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post

These pipelines are not really needed and are more about Trump pandering to his base. 20K jobs my arse, more like 20k temp jobs.
It is somewhat under 20K very temporary jobs.. Fewer than 40 full-time jobs and will most likely be Canadians as it is a Canadian pipeline.

The oil has mostly been contracted for to go overseas. So essentially we are allowing Canada to run a pipeline through our country, near our waterways, over the objections of people who live there, so they can sell oil to other nations.

They're using Russian and Canadian steel. Trump signed off on it. (I know he announced at his Kentucky rally that it was all American made. It is not.)

For the life of me, I don't understand what Americans get out of this. If anything, we are getting the short end of this deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies