Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:28 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Well that sound horrible on the surface, but the truth is Americans products that ate exported is taxed many times over. Try to import to Mexico, Columbia ,Venezuela.
If there was a 20% tax on imports, the companies making the products are not going to absorb that, the American consumer will. And if you think that Walmart would sit by quietly and allow something like that to become legislation..think again.

This is another effort on the part of hard line conservatives to shift the tax burden to the people least able to afford it, consumers of cheap imported junk..you know like Trump supporters buying MAGA hats that are made in China.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:28 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
For Mexico to pay for the wall all we have to do is decide; Mexico is paying for the wall. They have no choice!?
Quote:
Yes actually we decide what happens. Step up.
OK genius, tell us exactly how Cheeto is going to make Mexico pay for the wall.
Bet 'ya can't do it.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:07 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
^^^^^^Yes. And they HATE that a black man was our President. They hated everything about Obama from the very beginning, just because he was black.

Sad...

Has nothing to do with being a ""BLACK MAN"". The "BLACK MEN" in the party are well respected. How do you feel about Ben Carson? Allen West? Herman Cain? Alan Keyes? 50cent? Larry Elder? JC Watt? Colin Powell? Sheryll Underwood? Or other black conservatives. Are you racist? Blacks can only be democraps?

Old 03-26-2017, 01:11 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
OK genius, tell us exactly how Cheeto is going to make Mexico pay for the wall.
Bet 'ya can't do it.

Its exactly what I thought it was since he first said that. Did anyone ever say or think Mexico would just write a check for it?! lol We have ultimate leverage through foreign aid, the drug war, possible tariffs. It will pencil out and as a good neighbor they should at least pay half! The negotiation has just begun, but he set the expectation early on.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:09 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The wall will be built. The government has already released specifications Construction specifications released for Trump's border wall Hopefully the yet-to-be tariff on imports from Mexico will pay for it. So...a win so far.

Ban on terrorist immigration. Still in place despite liberal judges attempt at blocking it. So... a win. It was never a Muslim ban. All religions were included, although most Christians and Jews have been killed off in affected countries.

Repeal and replace Obamacare. Better to let Obamacare fail and say "see, we told you so". So...a short term loss for Trumpcare, but a huge long-term gain that can be used against the Democrats.
A tarriff on goods from Mexico would mean we are paying for it, correct? Don't we mostly import food from there?

Old 03-26-2017, 02:15 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
In other words, tax-cuts for billionaires will be "paid for" by consumers -- you and me.

Is there any doubt that Trump is a false populist?
I believe you are 100% correct.

Quote:
The rich not only pays Personal income tax , but business taxes, property taxes and the buy stuff that puts Americans to work. I never thought the rich got off of paying taxes. They follow the same IRS standards we do, but they have people to maximized their taxies.
Ah, a defense for "TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMICS" resurfaces again ... even though it has been discredited hundreds and hundreds of times over the years since Reagan. The theory is if the super-rich get even richer a few crumbs from their marble-topped banquet tables will fall down to the rest of us.

I can't believe that there are still some naive people that buy into that scam.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:10 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
The rich not only pays Personal income tax , but business taxes, property taxes and the buy stuff that puts Americans to work. I never thought the rich got off of paying taxes. They follow the same IRS standards we do, but they have people to maximized their taxies.
Nobody is saying that under current IRS rules most of the rich are doing what the rules require. I'm saying that the rules should be changed so the rich pay higher rates.

The other part of your argument is that we are better off and it's fairer to tax the rich less.

Ok, so let me make this policy argument:

Middle-class Americans should, in their own self-interest, support a huge increase in the Earned Income Tax Credit, even though this would have a large budgetary cost. Why? Because this would lead to an increase in the supply of menial labor, driving down the prices of things middle-class Americans buy and raising their real earnings.

Even those who want more aid to the working poor wouldn't make this argument. If your goal is to aid the middle class, you should aid the middle class -- not try some roundabout route of subsidizing the labor of some other group, in the hope that the gains will trickle up.

So, why would I accept your policy argument:

Middle-class Americans should, in their own self-interest, support tax rates on the wealthy that are well below the rates that would maximize revenue. Why? Because lower tax rates will encourage more effort on the part of the wealthy, which in turn will increase the earnings of the middle class and increase the number of jobs.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:26 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,879 times
Quote:
Its exactly what I thought it was since he first said that. Did anyone ever say or think Mexico would just write a check for it?! lol We have ultimate leverage through foreign aid, the drug war, possible tariffs. It will pencil out and as a good neighbor they should at least pay half! The negotiation has just begun, but he set the expectation early on.
That's funny. Now it's half. Mexico won't pay squat. They've already said they would boycott American corn.
Ever heard of a Mexican standoff?
Drink some more Kool Aid and get back to me.
Trump stuck his foot in his mouth promising Mexico would pay for the wall without having a clue how to get them to do it. His base swallowed it up along with all the other campaign crap he spewed out. None of it's going to happen.
Wake up.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
I'm tired of the whining Democrats doing nothing but delaying appointments and refusing to be in the same room as the President (Maxine Waters). Really? People actually elected some of this supposedly adults?

Old 03-26-2017, 05:35 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
That's funny. Now it's half. Mexico won't pay squat. They've already said they would boycott American corn.
Ever heard of a Mexican standoff?
Drink some more Kool Aid and get back to me.
Trump stuck his foot in his mouth promising Mexico would pay for the wall without having a clue how to get them to do it. His base swallowed it up along with all the other campaign crap he spewed out. None of it's going to happen.
Wake up.
I always thought a Mexican Standoff was a mixed drink:
1/3 Tequila,
1/3 Prune Juice,
1/3 Kaopectate
(you must be careful to get the balance JUST RIGHT).

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies