Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:35 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times

Advertisements

Someone told me a while back that The Art of the Deal was ghost written. Fast forward to now, I think everyone can well believe it. Long form writing takes both time and discipline. Can anyone see Trump for hours at a time tapping away at his computer? Me either. I can see Trump bloviating to a professional writer either taking notes or recording a few interviews, and then said writer going off to try to turn a mass of self-glorifying contradictions into something semi-coherent

I say this because the deal, Ryancare, was not something he had ever shown any interest in previously. As mentioned above, he contradicted and betrayed his promises to his followers. He then did a **** awful job of trying to get it enacted. He bald-faced lied to his supporters. He was clueless about divisions within his own party. And fundamentally he failed to deal, to negotiate, or to persuade. It was “this or nothing”, “my way or the highway”, “there is no Plan B”. Some art of the deal?

Trump just lies. I mean I can not think of a politician in the last 30 years who doesn’t. But it is the nature of Trump’s lies. Perhaps it is the offhandedness of his lying. He won’t just tell you matter of factly that day is night. But that it is all his doing (and you can thank him now) and it’s wonderful, amazing, and great. Except what he is describing is a steaming mass of ****.

I have said before that Trump’s actual personnel and policies (in so far as policy can be applied to anything Trump does) are the polar opposite of his populist positions. I see Trump as talking the populist talk but walking the richman’s kleptocratic walk. Trumpcare/Ryancare would have slammed poorer Americans while favoring richer Americans. You look at his tax cuts which might be the next item up on his to-do list and it is more of this. Millions for the rich, crumbs for everyone else. Ditto with his public-private infrastructure spending, another one of his legislative priorities. Whatever happens, the rich must get their cut. I initially thought it would take a couple of years for his supporters to turn on him. But if things keep up as they are, his Presidency could implode a lot faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 02:44 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The question is what have the Democrats done over the past SEVEN YEARS to address the many problems of their failed scheme?

Care to answer? I'll help: NOTHING.
This is from May of 2015:

"Democrats are chiding Republican leaders in Congress as standing in the way of improvements to ObamaCare that enjoy bipartisan support.

None of the ObamaCare proposals has been taken up by Republican leaders, angering Democrats who say important fixes are being bottled up by the GOP's fixation on full repeal."

Dems to GOP: We're Ready to Fix Obamacare, Why Aren't You?

Oops, looks like you're wrong again. The Democrats have proposed fixes over the years, but the Republicans, who controlled the House, refused to consider them. Which means that they absolutely own it now.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:07 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
Then why wouldn't the dems help out and vote yes for the bill on Friday?
There was no vote held on Friday, what are you talking about? And why would Democrats vote to destroy healthcare for 24 million people, that kind of mean is the exclusive domain of Republicans

Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
The question is what have the Democrats done over the past SEVEN YEARS to address the many problems of their failed scheme?

Wow! Talk about being in complete denial!

The Republican Party has controlled the House of Representatives since 2011. They were certainly in no mood to work with the Democratic Party to "address the many problems" of the ACA.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:36 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This is from May of 2015:

"Democrats are chiding Republican leaders in Congress as standing in the way of improvements to ObamaCare that enjoy bipartisan support.

None of the ObamaCare proposals has been taken up by Republican leaders, angering Democrats who say important fixes are being bottled up by the GOP's fixation on full repeal."

Dems to GOP: We're Ready to Fix Obamacare, Why Aren't You?

Oops, looks like you're wrong again. The Democrats have proposed fixes over the years, but the Republicans, who controlled the House, refused to consider them. Which means that they absolutely own it now.
Nice try. A fake news propaganda piece from The Hill, notoriously slanted and biased, hardly proves me wrong. It was not House Republicans that stopped things like the repeal of the medical device tax. It was Harry Reid and Obama, and anyone who followed the debacle over the years knows it.

Obama would not sign ANY change to ACA and Reid would filibuster it. So don't come along now that you LOST the White House and claim Democrats were always willing to modify ACA. That is a lie.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:43 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
No, LTR, there was no way that President Obama and the Democrats were going to get any modifications on the ACA after Republicans took control of the House. Even if they did get some sort of reform through John Boehner's House, it would still wind up being filibustered by Mitch McConnel's Republicans in the Senate. Remember McConnell, the guy who said that his party's responsibility was to obstruct President Obama at every opportunity?

You're simply desperate to rewrite history in order to cover up the complete failure of TrumpCare.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:55 PM

336 posts, read 378,179 times
Quote:
Unless the Democrats offer viable solutions to fix their failed plan, and start working with the GOP, they should be fired. Period.

THE DEMOCRATS passed it. They are responsible for it.
Quote:

Over the past five years, Democrats and some moderate Republicans have proposed many bills to correct/fix various issues with the ACA. House GOP leadership never allowed these bills to be voted on because they had zero interest in fixing the ACA. Why? If Republicans "fixed" the ACA, then they couldn't use it as a political issue against the Democrats. Also, improving how the ACA works would make it more difficult to repeal, and most Republicans in the House still want repeal because the ACA's plan subsidies for low income individuals are an entitlement funded largely by taxes on the wealthy.

To garner enough votes to become House Speaker, Paul Ryan made this pledge to the Republican Conference: "I will not allow any bill to be voted upon unless it has majority GOP support." The House Freedom Caucus and other conservative groups sought this pledge because they were fed up with how Speaker Boehner repeatedly worked with Democrats to pass bills over the objection of the Freedom Caucus and other conservative members.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:00 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
Then why wouldn't the dems help out and vote yes for the bill on Friday?
Honestly, let's be completely honest here. It was a terrible bill. When you catch a fish that is unacceptable, you throw it back and keep fishing.

Can somebody please page Rand Paul and have him write up the next attempt? He's a least less full of crap than Paul Ryan.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:01 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Nice try. A fake news propaganda piece from The Hill, notoriously slanted and biased, hardly proves me wrong. It was not House Republicans that stopped things like the repeal of the medical device tax. It was Harry Reid and Obama, and anyone who followed the debacle over the years knows it.

Obama would not sign ANY change to ACA and Reid would filibuster it. So don't come along now that you LOST the White House and claim Democrats were always willing to modify ACA. That is a lie.
Why did you ask a question if you intended to simply stick your fingers in your ears and pretend you can't hear the answer?

That article is from 2015, detailing the changes the Democrats were asking the Republicans to help them make, and the response from the Republicans was NO! Remember that the Republicans held the House, so they got to decide what bills were brought to the floor.

Or are you now going to deny that the Republicans were the majority in the House, too?

Yeah, you probably will. Revisionist history at its finest.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:36 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Basically any sources from non-brietbart sources don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies