Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:54 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times

Advertisements

Why would democrats get on board OP? Trump and the GOP routinely bashed Obama and his ACA. So what do the republicans do? They offer up some sort of half Obama Care Light plan that looks more like Obama Care than any kind of other plan. And Trump and the GOP thought that the dems should just be like "oh okay, thanks we will accept this slightly worse plan after you continually degraded our own time and time again."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 12:27 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,837 times
The GOP could have passed their own repeal-replace (or whatever) on day one, but Paul Ryan, etc. wanted to be the party of "NO" for years instead. Instead of taking the time to create a key piece of legislation, they slapped together some garbage that is quite unpopular. They fumbled on an opportunity that they've had SEVEN YEARS TO WORK ON. It's really quite astonishing. Your party controls all three branches of government and they suck at doing their jobs, you have no one to blame but yourselves.

Oh, do I love the b*tching about "freeloaders" and "welfare queens". ACA plans are not free, nor are they cheap (in most cases). Are you aware that virtually every American with health insurance is subsidized, including millions of Americans on employer-based plans?

Quote:
Tax Subsidies for Private Health Insurance | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

The federal and state tax systems provide significant financial benefits for people with private health insurance. The largest group of beneficiaries is people who enroll in coverage through their jobs. There also are tax benefits for people who are self-employed and for people with high medical costs. Recently, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) provided for new premium tax credits to assist low and moderate income families purchasing coverage directly from insurers (nongroup coverage).

The value of these tax benefits is substantial. The largest tax subsidy for private health insurance — the exclusion from income and payroll taxes of employer and employee contributions for employer-sponsored insurance (ESI) – was estimated to cost approximately $250 billion in lost federal tax revenue in 2013. The new premium tax credits under the ACA were estimated by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) to cost $45 billion in 2014, and increase to $146 billion in 2017, as more individuals enrolled in subsidized coverage. In addition, the federal tax deduction for health expenses (including premiums) exceeding 10% of the adjusted gross income is estimated to cost $12.4 billion in lost tax revenue in 2014.
Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.55042fe7a688

But perhaps the most consequential subsidy is rarely mentioned or even noticed: Government for decades has directly subsidized individuals’ costs of employer-based health care, to the tune of roughly $250 billion every year – sums far greater than the annual costs of the subsidized insurance coverage provisions of the Affordable Care Act.

But – and here is the magic – while cash salary or bonuses paid to you are your taxable income, the tax code expressly allows you to ignore the value of the health-care costs that your employer pays on your behalf in calculating your taxable income. If your health-care insurance costs your employer $10,000 each year, you are saving up to $4,000 or so on your income tax bill, plus saving payroll tax costs on that $10,000, as well. Conversely, if your employer paid you the $10,000 in my example in cash, and told you to go buy insurance if you wanted it, you would be hit with both income and payroll tax bills on that amount.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:30 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
He wanted to keep some of the provisions like the age 26 requirement I mentioned above, if you had read my complete post. He also wanted to keep the things about pre-existing conditions in Obamacare.
So why didn't he? No D stopped him from including those provisions.

Show me where he ever went to congressional Ds and asked for their support, and said let's sit down and see what we can agree on.

A year of campaigning, and he never thought to get a group of wonks together to develop a real bill that would be ready for hearings as soon as he was inaugurated? He never thought to read Ryan's bill and say "Wait a minute, this isn't what I promised, go back to square one, include provisions X, Y, Z, and get some Ds on board if you need to in order to get enough votes to pass the thing"? Because that's Legislative Leadership 101.

Quote:
I (like the conservative Republicans in Congress) would have preferred that Obamacare been completely dismantled and not replaced with anything, for us to go back to the way things were before because that worked out best for myself, my family and my community. Almost everyone I know was hurt by Obamacare and we just want the old system back, with less illegal aliens and anchor babies abusing it and more insurance competition across state lines. If we bring more jobs back, reduce illegal immigration, end job killing regulations we will also have more money for health insurance.

The people who benefited from Obamacare are mostly illegal immigrants, anchor babies, the ghetto BLM type Democrats and others who feel entitled and don't want to work for their healthcare or for anything.

Trump is also less serious now about actively deporting more illegals. I guess liberals don't consider DUI a serious crime anymore and don't think illegals convicted of it should be deported?
I get that you are starting to think that Trump may be somewhat less, um, capable, than he told you he was.

I've been saying that he has no clue how to be president since Day 1 of his candidacy. Welcome to the club.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-25-2017 at 12:57 AM..

Old 03-25-2017, 12:37 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Please tell me what Trump did that you perceive as reaching out to liberals, either for this bill specifically or in general.

Because this liberal sure didn't see it.
Grabbin ***** is reaching out,............sorta

Old 03-25-2017, 12:43 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Grabbin ***** is reaching out,............sorta
Thank the blessed goddess I never had to see that. Hearing about it was plenty off-putting!

Old 03-25-2017, 12:45 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
The Republicans found TrumpCare to be feces. Republicans didn't need one Democrat to vote for it for it to pass - - and Plan A went down like a plane with every engine smoking. What an unmitigated disaster - - couldn't happen to a better group of deplorables. Reap what you sow, Repugnantcans.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:54 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
OP: you're talking nonsense.

You do realize that undocumented immigrants are NOT eligible for medicare or medicaid and cannot purchase insurance through the ACA marketplace.

You've been listening to too much far right propaganda.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
I live in a very pro-Trump area in the South and most people had good insurance before. Most people also had good jobs in coal mining and other industries and some in agriculture that have been decimated by the EPA and government overregulation. Obamacare was designed as part of Obama's redistribution of wealth and racial justice philosophy to benefit the inner city and illegal immigrants. These have been the main beneficiaries of Obamacare.

By the way in the past.....my aunt had cancer and her BlueCross plan covered her entire treatment and she still lives a good lower middle class life. People here are blue collar for the most part but we have our pride and dignity, not like the illegals and the people in the ghettos in the big cities thank you very much.

Once NAFTA is renegotiated and once the wall reduces illegal immigration, more Americans will be working and receiving insurance in that manner.
SMH...you live in a fantasy world of your own making inside that head of yours.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:46 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
I personally would have been perfectly fine with repealing Obamacare and not replacing it with anything. I know that myself, my family, and almost everyone I know would have been better off, since our health care was fine before Obamacare came along. The "increased uninsured" really is just the people who gained insurance under Obamacare, most of whom are self-entitled freeloaders and leeches who contribute nothing to society and yet want free benefits. Many of them are also illegal aliens and anchor babies. Many also live in the inner-city and are used to generational welfare dependency.

Maybe Trump shouldn't have kept any of the provisions? That probably would have gotten more conservative Republican votes and got the repeal bill passed. I disagree with the age 26 thing because kids should learn to be independent. I think age 23 is the absolute max that a "child" should be covered under their parents' insurance. But I guess in a world where college students and "young adults" still need safe spaces with teddy bears age 24 or 25 isn't truly grown up yet especially if they go to college.

Trump overall DOES NOT Have to reach out to the liberals. Nothing he does will ever satisfy them, but can cost him support among his base. He won this election with his base and as long as he keeps his base satisfied and sticks to his guns, he can win AGAIN without the votes of liberals and Democrats. I sure hope he never compromises on the wall or on deporting illegals.
tom you are way out of your depth here, much like trump.

trump did not reach out to dems, if you had been following, you would know that

1 trump did not write the bill

2 the 'reach out ' was to the moderate republicans. or did you really think there were enough hardliners to pass it without moderate republicans.

3 by no metric was pre Obamacare "good" or fair.

i suggest learning more before continuing to post on this topic. it it more complex then you seem to think.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:49 AM

130 posts, read 71,798 times
Quote:
I live in a very pro-Trump area in the South and most people had good insurance before. Most people also had good jobs in coal mining and other industries and some in agriculture that have been decimated by the EPA and government overregulation. Obamacare was designed as part of Obama's redistribution of wealth and racial justice philosophy to benefit the inner city and illegal immigrants. These have been the main beneficiaries of Obamacare.

By the way in the past.....my aunt had cancer and her BlueCross plan covered her entire treatment and she still lives a good lower middle class life. People here are blue collar for the most part but we have our pride and dignity, not like the illegals and the people in the ghettos in the big cities thank you very much.

Once NAFTA is renegotiated and once the wall reduces illegal immigration, more Americans will be working and receiving insurance in that manner.
Winning post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies