Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 12:33 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well this man could have used the single payer system that works in Australia. But elected not to.

Jason Day steps away from golf to help mom with cancer fight | Golfweek
Australia does not have a single user pays system. It has a dual public/private system, most well off people use private hospitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 12:39 AM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Default Time to wake up. It's been a long winter's nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Here's why I don't care that Canada and the UK has a better healthcare system.

Attachment 182567
Written 300 years ago. Country now has over 330 million people - not 3.6 million.

Times change. In those days average life expectancy was 38 v. 79 today.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aver...utf-8&oe=utf-8

In those days, people died before they developed the ailments that come with aging, environmental toxins, today's modern life.

Or, is that what you want?

Old 03-26-2017, 03:31 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Stating rumor or partial information as fact and a conclusion indicates a lack of research.

More people LEAVE the USA for health care than come in. In fact, travel to Mexico and even India and Thailand is BIG business because usa citizens cannot afford the health care here.

As to your suggestion about the hordes leaving - with over 100 million people in UK and Canada, how many are you claiming leave each year for medical care? Certainly if the number is tiny it means....well, it means most are satisfied with the system in place.

It's fine to make a claim AFTER you've done your homework......

About 1.5 Million Americans leave the USA each year for medical care elsewhere.....

200,000 Brits is the approx number there.

So, by numbers and percentages more Americans are saying our system DOESN'T WORK.
Don't you agree...based on your own statements?
But, you need to look at what medical care they are leaving the country to get. Americans are leaving to get elective surgery, bariatric surgery and lasik surgery are huge tourist industries. People from other countries come here for life saving medical care, they do the elective stuff in their own country or one of the countries with medical tourism.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:44 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I have a good friend who lives in the UK and she thinks their healthcare is wonderful. My son spent over a year there in school. When he was sick he was seen right away and the cost of any prescription was very reasonable. When I get sick and call my doctor, they tell me they have no openings for 2 weeks. I could be dead by then
You need to get a new doctor. My doctor's office always asks if they can schedule an appointment or do I need to speak to the nurse about being seen sooner. Plus, unless you live in the middle of nowhere there are always urgent care clinics.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:46 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,981 times
Americans don't have the mentality due to decades of corporate propaganda.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:58 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,981 times
America doesn't have the mindset for universal healthcare. Too much Social Darwinism and corporate propaganda there.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 03-26-2017 at 04:17 AM..

Old 03-26-2017, 04:03 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Perhaps Americans aren't comfortable with choice. Over here I have the choice of going public or private, but many Americans don't have that luxury, even though they pay for healthcare with their taxes.

It could be a love of insurance companies as well.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:04 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Serious question

What makes the US different, that would make such system a disaster?
My doctor didn't think it was so great. She and her husband moved from Canada to the US to get out of the Canadian health care system. She says the system doesn't allow doctors to make a living that compensates for the effort they put in to become doctors. I'm not sure when she moved to the US. She's been my doctor for over 20 years now.

For me the fear of a doctor shortage would have to be addressed. If people don't think it's worth it to go through the education to become a doctor we could have a serious problem.

Canada is seeing a shortage of family practice doctors as doctors choose more lucrative specialties. They are also seeing a shortage in areas of low population density in a system where the only way to make more money is to turn over more patients. Health care becomes like schools where the more students you can pack into a room the more money you get from the government. That hasn't worked well for schools where it doesn't matter what a good education costs. You have what you have and that is it unless you can find a way to pack more students into the space you find available.

One thing I like about my doctor is she takes her time with her patients. It's annoying to have to wait for your appointment but I try to remember that she gets behind because she takes her time with each and every one of us. If the only way to make more money is to see more patients that goes away.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Serious question

What makes the US different, that would make such system a disaster?
Too much emphasis on making money rather than addressing the nations healthcare needs.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:24 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
They don't want to do what makes sense, which is medicare for everyone because they are beholden to Wall Street and the donor class. Consider these figures:

30% of all healthcare dollars are spent on administrative overhead due to insurance.
8% is doctors salaries / paychecks. We pay the insurance companies three times what we pay the guys who are providing our care.
16% was on drugs, so we pay insurance almost double what we pay for our medications ( and those drug companies are making a fat profit as well)

What value do the insurance companies add to patient care?

I'm going to start a thread on this with more figures, but check this out: United Healthcare had 46.49 Billion dollars in revenue last year. 7.24 billion was profit. The rest was salaries and other overhead, and claims paid.

And this is why we don't have national healthcare.
Good information.

Need to build a consensus for Medicare for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies