Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 11:09 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,898 times

Advertisements

Will they return to normal?

Why is my same blue cross plan that I pay 310$ a month and the exact same plan is over 650$ a month for obamacare recipients from when I checked the marketplace site? I understand the subsidies for obamacare, but will the ending of obamacare give the excuse for insurance companies to keep rates at this insane level when obamacare is over, or not lower them to my normal rates of 120$ before obamacare?

Why are they charging these astronomical rates, these rates are criminal.

My regular premiums have been rising astronomically every year, I pay 310 a month now and I havent used my health insurance outside of regular doctor visits or for something like the flu much at all in 15 years, I used to pay 120 a month for blue cross before obamacare.

I am not even blaming obama, I think the insurance companies used this an excuse to raise these rates to ridiculous levels for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 11:34 PM

What do people pay now?

Old 03-25-2017, 11:42 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,217 times
Why wouldn't you blame Obama? Why are your monthly premiums still steadily rising every year in the wake of the so-called Affordable Care Act?? Because Obama gave the insurance companies near absolute power in crafting this joke of a bill that was literally written by the corporate healthcare industry? So why would they reduce their rates when they have enjoyed so much power in creating it? The very name of it is a joke. Affordable to who? Maybe if you're a millionaire then sure the constantly rising premiums might be affordable to you. The GOP plan will do absolutely nothing to improve things since both parties are completely bought and paid for.

Quote:
Why Health Care Premiums Are Rising Under Obamacare - ABC News

The Obama administration acknowledged on Monday that premiums for health care plans created under the president’s signature Affordable Care Act will rise substantially next year — another hiccup for the law, also known as “Obamacare.”

Insurers are set to raise the premiums for plans sold through HealthCare.gov by an average of 22 percent in 2017, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said in a report. This is approximately triple the percentage increase from 2015 to 2016, when premiums increased by 7.5 percent.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Join a union. Contrary to some, they really do take care of you.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:01 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

Why is my same blue cross plan that I pay 310$ a month and the exact same plan is over 650$ a month for obamacare recipients from when I checked the marketplace site? I understand the subsidies for obamacare, but will the ending of obamacare give the excuse for insurance companies to keep rates at this insane level when obamacare is over, or not lower them to my normal rates of 120$ before obamacare?

My regular premiums have been rising astronomically every year, I pay 310 a month now and I havent used my health insurance outside of regular doctor visits or for something like the flu much at all in 15 years, I used to pay 120 a month for blue cross before obamacare.

I am not even blaming obama, I think the insurance companies used this an excuse to raise these rates to ridiculous levels for everyone.
No, insurance rates will not return to 'normal'. They've been rising fast for years- and despite all the anecdotal evidence people will trot out, Obamacare actually slowed the rate of increase. Not much to brag about... but it *is* a fact that's worth pointing out.

Fact is that there is no real price pressure in our healthcare system. When the insurance company is paying- who is going to shop around for a cheaper doctor? And even if you were paying your own cash... would you really want discount chemo??

There is no modern first-world country with a functional capitalist healthcare system. Not one. Even our quasi-capitalist healthcare system is massively screwed up because for-profit medicine is just not a viable business model without SOME mechanism that simply allows poor people to die. Since we aren't doing that- or at least not in numbers as great as the Republicans would like to see- costs WILL continue to rise.

Single-payer is the only way we'll get out of this. Every other first-world country has figured this out

Old 03-26-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Why wouldn't you blame Obama? Why are your monthly premiums still steadily rising every year in the wake of the so-called Affordable Care Act?? Because Obama gave the insurance companies near absolute power in crafting this joke of a bill that was literally written by the corporate healthcare industry? So why would they reduce their rates when they have enjoyed so much power in creating it? The very name of it is a joke. Affordable to who? Maybe if you're a millionaire then sure the constantly rising premiums might be affordable to you. The GOP plan will do absolutely nothing to improve things since both parties are completely bought and paid for.
Good post and I agree with what you say but mainstream republicans had numerous chances to stop obamacare, and had two terms to come up with something better and they came up with a terrible plan. I just dont think the mainstream republican party is going to do much about the insurance companies and democrats are a train wreck

I just think health insurance companies and big pharma are very diabolical in their support of both parties , drug companies were funneling significant political contributions towards mainstream Republican candidates as well with all the supposed anti obamacare in the air , yet they loved obama care at one point

I would love to see a real populist movement that would attract people from both parties, as long as it not snowflakes wanting more immigration and blm and crime and riots and outsourced jobs, there is an enormous amount of corruption in big pharma and the insurance companies

Old 03-26-2017, 12:07 AM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Quote:

A huge issue is removal of pre-existing conditions and lack of mandate with teeth which would force everyone into the risk pool thus spreading risk among the healthy as well as the sick. Right now more sick than healthy are in the pools - many long-term who never could get coverage before - so their illnesses are more expensive because they've gone so long without treatment. One of the insurance CEO's said drug coverage for these people was killing them.

In the past, states had high-risk pools for those people with exorbitant premiums - and many risk pools failed, anyway.

Universal health care with a national sales tax on everything as has been suggested, or a payroll tax similar to Medicare would solve the coverage issue of healthy and sick.

Between taxes and health insurance costs, Canadians pay far LESS than Americans in total. American's are stuck with high premiums, deductibles, networks, balance billing, oops. We are really being gouged.

R-wing ideology will never allow Medicare for all - but that's what we should have.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:23 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
What do people pay now?

My employer pays the entire cost of my health and dental plans.

The only thing I pay is $10 for office visits and a small portion of my prescriptions.

I pay a percentage of some of my dental work and the rest is no charge to me.

Everyone who works for a living should get what I get.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
No, insurance rates will not return to 'normal'. They've been rising fast for years- and despite all the anecdotal evidence people will trot out, Obamacare actually slowed the rate of increase. Not much to brag about... but it *is* a fact that's worth pointing out.

Fact is that there is no real price pressure in our healthcare system. When the insurance company is paying- who is going to shop around for a cheaper doctor? And even if you were paying your own cash... would you really want discount chemo??

There is no modern first-world country with a functional capitalist healthcare system. Not one. Even our quasi-capitalist healthcare system is massively screwed up because for-profit medicine is just not a viable business model without SOME mechanism that simply allows poor people to die. Since we aren't doing that- or at least not in numbers as great as the Republicans would like to see- costs WILL continue to rise.

Single-payer is the only way we'll get out of this. Every other first-world country has figured this out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
A huge issue is removal of pre-existing conditions and lack of mandate with teeth which would force everyone into the risk pool thus spreading risk among the healthy as well as the sick. Right now more sick than healthy are in the pools - many long-term who never could get coverage before - so their illnesses are more expensive because they've gone so long without treatment. One of the insurance CEO's said drug coverage for these people was killing them.

In the past, states had high-risk pools for those people with exorbitant premiums - and many risk pools failed, anyway.

Universal health care with a national sales tax on everything as has been suggested, or a payroll tax similar to Medicare would solve the coverage issue of healthy and sick.

Between taxes and health insurance costs, Canadians pay far LESS than Americans in total. American's are stuck with high premiums, deductibles, networks, balance billing, oops. We are really being gouged.

R-wing ideology will never allow Medicare for all - but that's what we should have.
Good posts. My premiums I pay for myself have risen dramatically under this era of obamacare but even if we returned to the old system, millions and millions of people without health care still use hospitals and doctors but just dont pay their health care bills and I am sure it was getting worse. I doubt I will ever see around 120$ dollar premiums every month again, I pay for insurance directly and I cant use employer based health care, it has risen 3 times as high in the last 8 years

I dont agree that r-wing ideology is to blame , maybe republican conservative ideology , but many far right parties in europe are much closer to these policies on health care , they just dont thinks it sustainable with illegal immigration, abuse of the health care system, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies