Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 10:40 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,214,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I read somewhere that the LGBT community in America is somewhere between 2-5%. Can someone confirm?

Why does the media make them out to be somewhere like 20-50%?
Can you confirm that the media makes them out to be 20-50% of the population (that's an enormous guess by the way; that range is 30% difference)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 10:41 AM

17,300 posts, read 11,160,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your argument contradicts itself, as you are claiming those Islamist are following along with a Democratic party that has openly support, elected, and even placed gay men and women in leadership roles.

As for the rest of your post. I think we can agree that the name calling is wrong, but the arguments are based with in the context of an individual seemingly going against policies that would specifically benefit them or people like them.

What I find worse is the hypocrisy from your side. The same people who would make a statement like yours are quick to say people are slaves on a Democratic Plantation. The name calling thing goes both ways. As does the silence. When Tim Scott speaks about racial injustice, your side shouldnt pretend like he no longer exist and then run to David Clarke.
You're generalizing too much as well. I've never in my life talked about "Democratic Plantation" for African Americans. African Americans have minds of their own and can freely pick and choose which party represents them best. But let's face it, even Clarence Thomas was called an Uncle Tom by democrats because he disagrees with the general Democratic philosophy. That to me is the worst hypocrisy of all. Ask Condalisa Rice how it feels too.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:52 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,851,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Society isnt harassing autistic people and trying to limit their rights.Although I dont like the trans being lumped into this category. Their agenda isnt really the same .
To be fair: TG's ain't common at all.

When I say "T/G": I ain't referring to those people who've got screwed up sex organs and or sex hormone problems and, a "sex" needs to be picked to make life easier for their kind. I'm talking about "regular" looking dudes and ladies who wanna switch sexes like Buck Angel and Catlyn Jenner.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:59 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,876,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Lol - if you base it on HGTV it sure looks that way.
Haha, that's true, but hgtv isn't shy about advocating for LGBT rights. They do have a conservative Christian couple who are quite popular on there now however.

How HGTV Has Changed Our World | Advocate.com

Old 03-26-2017, 11:06 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,489,788 times
yeah more like 0.x% which is close enough to "zero" and we can safely ignore their existence

Old 03-26-2017, 11:17 AM

21,033 posts, read 19,515,046 times
If a spaceship from another planet landed on Earth and 7 aliens walked off, don't you suppose that everyone would be talking about them? Yet they make up only 0.000000001% of the population.

The fact that they (aliens or LBGTQRSTUVs) are so insignificant in numbers makes them an aberration worth discussing. If and when they reach a point where they don't feel the need to draw attention to themselves, they will be considered normal.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,920,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If a spaceship from another planet landed on Earth and 7 aliens walked off, don't you suppose that everyone would be talking about them? Yet they make up only 0.000000001% of the population.

The fact that they (aliens or LBGTQRSTUVs) are so insignificant in numbers makes them an aberration worth discussing. If and when they reach a point where they don't feel the need to draw attention to themselves, they will be considered normal.
Why do the religious and Republicans spend so much time on them is the better question? Can't we all just get along?

Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM

18,143 posts, read 15,559,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Can you confirm that the media makes them out to be 20-50% of the population (that's an enormous guess by the way; that range is 30% difference)?

Indeed. All the way to 50%? Half the entire country? I don't think even the worst of the media outlets could fudge those kinds of numbers. 50%?! lol. So are they the ones got Trump elected? nahhhh. Seriously though, folks should really be more careful throwing out percentages that way. maybe stop to think what the numbers a percentage like 50% represents. Hell, even 30%. Not even MSNBC could be silly enough to inflate numbers like that.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:27 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I read somewhere that the LGBT community in America is somewhere between 2-5%. Can someone confirm?

Why does the media make them out to be somewhere like 20-50%?

And I'm forced to play pretend, so not to hurt their feelings.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:44 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is interesting where our focus goes when someone directs us where to look.

Black people are something like 14% of the population and it is amazing the impact they have had on our country through sports, music, culture and sadly with negative aspects as well.

The LGBTQ xyz group is even a smaller percentage but we are made to think about them when things such as the bathroom bill fiasco made national news.
Transgendered people are a mere fraction of 1% but boy did they rock the boat.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease and the most notice.

I just wonder why we are so fixated on who someone takes to bed with them.
Yeah no. The transgender people didn't rock the boat. Right wing bigots made a stink about something that wasn't an issue in an effort to stir up their base of angry bigots who fear the unknown. Reasonable people just reacted accordingly and the governor lost his job.

Minority groups would get less outsized attention if right wing bigots simply stopped obsessing over them and desperately trying to discriminate against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies