Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:37 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
California is still mad they don't decide the future of all
Of America
You are wrong. I don't think they really care. They could secede and be better off for it.

You said they are "still mad". Were they ever mad that they didn't decide the future for all of America? Your statement is a first for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 05:38 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
There are 2,350,000 Illegal immigrants in the state of California. This is not going to fly. I hope Trump cracks down HARD on the illegals. It's time to stop protecting them and send them back home.

States by rank of illegal immigrants:

Estimated illegal immigrant population, by state, 2014 | Pew Research Center

What is an illegal ? If you are waiting on a hearing with an immigration judge are you illegal ? If you have yet to be registered by ICE but can apply for refugee status and await a hearing are you illegal ?

I ask these questions because the issue is far from black and white like many would like to think We have a very convoluted, inefficient immigration system along with loose border controls and things have been that way since the 1980s. Does 25 year of living and working here not count for something ?

Understand that deporting 10 + million people will not work - we simply don't have the resources to do that We already have a backlog of 500K cases waiting on a judge (3 years or more). Granting the undocumented residents their constitutional rights (as the court has said they are entitled to) will clog the system until Trump is gone from office. ICE will be sued, restraining orders will be granted - processes will grind to a halt.

This all happened before here in the US, probably multiple times before if you go back far enough to when we really didn't have much in the way of immigration case law.

What we really need from Congress is an open clear criteria to come in the front door and regulate the process in a fair impartial manner while we close the back door (i.e. the border). However I am not optimistic on this actually happening while we discuss the subject on threads like these.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:40 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here is the reality of the immigrant situation in California. They contribute significantly to the economy, primarily by doing labor we Americans are too lazy and too good to do. Right now, lettuce is rotting in fields because the immigrants are afraid to come to work because the might be arrested and deported. California, and a lot of other States, depend on these folks and will suffer if they are gone. We will all be paying higher prices for food because there will be a shortage caused by their absence.

Contrary to what a lot of people want you to believe, the vast majority of these illegals are not murderers, drug dealers, and rapists. They simply want a better life and are willing to work harder than a lot of us to do that.

A piece of paper does not make them any better, it only makes them "legal". If you want to solve the problem of illegal aliens, make their path to citizenship easier and the problem will go away. Oh yeah, but you Trumpees prefer to view them as despicable human beings who are Hellbent on killing and raping us.

They are the same as everyone. Except for one thing. They are not in our country legally. Nobody I know says they are despicable human beings but they are breaking the law. They need to go back home and do it correctly. The main reason Americans might not take the field work is because of the pay. One full box of strawberries pays the worker $1.90 a box. It isn't any different in Canada. If you go over there without the proper paperwork and try to work a job, they will send you back home. If you watch the Canadian Border Patrol on Netflix, they go through your phone (CBP) read your texts, call numbers on your phone and find out your intent from your contact list, analyze your luggage to see how long you intend to stay and count your money to make sure you have enough for a vacation, in addition to doing a background check on you right then and there..... but so many red flags can get you denied into Canada.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:41 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Texas created the logo "Don't Mess with Texas". CA better back off or we'll kick their azz.

We are better armed and hostile.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:43 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Just as one example.. California is home to the most West coast ports that bring in imports and exports for businesses for the WHOLE Country.... So, if Trump decides to defund whatever Fed's send to them.. Then, it's plausible that California could conceivably charge back ALL expenses to operate inland out transports of all business interest cost to the Fed's .. + hold back equal amts of defunded $$ in Income tax they turn over to Fed coffers!
I remember the 2015 port shut down in Long Beach and LA. Major disruption throughout the country

Old 03-26-2017, 05:43 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Despite some recent threats from the president to try to use federal funding as a "weapon" against the state if it voted to become a sanctuary state, the Democratic Governor Jerry Brown ushered a tough rebuttal in an interview with NBC's "Meet The Press" this week from the nation's capital.

"We do have something called the ninth and the tenth amendment," he stated. "The federal government just can't arbitrarily for political reasons punish the State of California, that's number one. Number two, California is America. We're 12 percent. We're a key part. The export capital going into the Pacific. We're the innovation capital, high tech, agriculture, 40 to 50 billion dollar industry. You don't want to mess with California because you're going to mess with the economy, and that could blow up in your face in a gigantic recession, and roll the Republicans right out of this town."

Gov. Jerry Brown to Trump: 'You Don't Want to Mess with California'

Who's gonna back you up, Brown? Your own CHP WILL turn on you and so will the National Guard.
Gov. Brown is an ass. We had to live under his "rule" the first time he was governor. I still can't believe he was elected again (after we left the state ...and I don't miss it!).

And I should add that Pat Brown, his father, was as corrupt as they come.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:44 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Oh well, California isn't going anywhere and glad they are a donor state.

Glad, federal income taxes don't adjust for cost of living. A Californian and South Dakotan resident who makes $100,000 pays the same federal income tax but the one in Wyoming can live in a mansion and the one in California lives in a dumpy apartment with bad plumbing.

They are so detached from reality in that state. They have slightly higher per-capita incomes but a small house is a million dollars in a dumpy area where they jobs are. They pay well over $3 for gas, a day in hospital is 2 1/2 times what it is in some other states.

I think it's wonderful how California showers money on Republican states that have a much better quality of life with much lower taxes and much lower home prices then what they pay.

Californians act like long commutes, million or more for a tiny, run-down house with $10,000 in property taxes and a 10% middle-class income tax rate is utopia.

What is interesting is all the California discovered IT stuff can be utilized anywhere in America.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 03-26-2017 at 05:53 PM..

Old 03-26-2017, 05:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Good for California. They're one of the least dependent states on the federal government, anyway, sending more money to the "takers" in the red states than they get in return. And it would be the fifth largest economy in the world by itself. The United States needs it and kudos for them for standing up to this administration.
This gets said again and again yet whenever asked nobody can back it up with any real definitions of what is counted as giving and what is counting as receiving. I think it is one of those urban legends that makes folks in CA feel good about themselves. With trillion dollar deficits year after year I have a hard time believing that the full trillion and then some (if CA sends more money than it receives) is incurred on behalf of only the other 49 States.

The other thing that doesn't make sense is that your governor is constantly begging for money from the feds. I think he has made 4 requests already this year.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Dang, my state only ranks 7th.

What's funny is that all of those states that have so many illegal immigrants are absolutely crushing it economically. Those with fewer, not so much. Seems like all these floundering states could use some.
You folks really like your illegals so long as the rest of us have to support them.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:52 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
That's happening in the methland of the middle of the country, not so much in California. Also lol @ the redpill language.
what in the heck is a red pill ?

Is that code for not knowing the difference between a few million (the cost to the US of meth users) and a few trillion (the cost to the the US for California's spending spree).

(Here's a hint Einstein - there are one million millions.....in one trillion.)

Question to all. Why do dullards often use the "lol" term when trying unsuccessfully to make a point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies