Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:32 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who think America is headed towards a single payer system. This is unlikely to happen. Single payer isn't the only way to achieve universal health care for America. Most countries that have universal coverage don't even use a single payer approach.

Which Countries Have Single-Payer Health Systems?

There are fewer than many people might think. Most European countries either never had or no longer have single-payer systems. "Most are basically what we call social insurance systems," says Gerard Anderson, a professor at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health who has studied international health systems. Social insurance programs ensure that almost everyone is covered. They are taxpayer-funded but aren't necessarily run by the government.
If they are taxpayer funded, then they are single payer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 12:46 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The problem is that liberals demand that THEY do NOT pay for their own... you just have to look at Social Security and see what the liberals demand to confirm that... around the world, everybody pays for their own in single payer systems...
You are confirming all the vicious stereotypes people have about conservatives. Too poor to buy insurance? Go die.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:49 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The problem is that liberals demand that THEY do NOT pay for their own... you just have to look at Social Security and see what the liberals demand to confirm that... around the world, everybody pays for their own in single payer systems...
Please, make some sense.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:17 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You have it exactly backwards. Germany uses about 11% of GDP on healthcare, the US about 17%. If the US went with a rational system for healthcare funding, you'd be saving money - to spend on more guns, probably, but the point is, Germany's citizens is getting more for less.

Incidentally, the US health insurance system is living proof that profit motive doesn't make for efficiency - the US system has the highest administrative overhead of any system in the OECD. Mostly because you have a bunch of leeches in the private insurance business (and the associated undergrowth) who all want their cut before the hospital can hand over an aspirin.
Ah but then they'd have to increase healthcare spending again to account for all the inevitable gun-related injuries

Old 03-27-2017, 09:20 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post

My sister moved to Canada 20 years go and LOVES her Canadian healthcare. She and her family have never had any issues with getting the care the need and don't have to worry about bankruptcy for unforseen medical expenses.
It'll be safe to assume that different Canadians may have different experiences with their health care system. This can be based on their health situations.

People like these who need certain surgeries seem to have some issues with wait times.

Key surgeries: Patients wait to get on a waiting list | Montreal Gazette

Old 03-28-2017, 04:00 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
I do think a hybrid system is better than pure single-payer, for the purposes of giving a bit more choice, but there's a risk of the public system getting sold out more and more to the private system (which seems to be happening here in Finland - rural hospitals are closing because there's not enough use to justify keeping them open but that sucks for the people living in those areas. In my area mums in labour have to travel an hour and a half to reach a maternity unit) so it has to be carefully done. Its become really quite annoying in my town, the public dentist sends me to a private dentist in the city because its easier that way for the dentists but not for the patients who have to travel.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:42 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I do think a hybrid system is better than pure single-payer, for the purposes of giving a bit more choice, but there's a risk of the public system getting sold out more and more to the private system (which seems to be happening here in Finland - rural hospitals are closing because there's not enough use to justify keeping them open but that sucks for the people living in those areas. In my area mums in labour have to travel an hour and a half to reach a maternity unit) so it has to be carefully done. Its become really quite annoying in my town, the public dentist sends me to a private dentist in the city because its easier that way for the dentists but not for the patients who have to travel.
There isn't necessarily anything wrong in itself with a private clinic. There can be positives. Such as the near impossibility of being able to fire a government employee.

The problem is when the Wall Street aspect is introduced. Wall Street demands ever increasing higher returns every year or bulldoze the place down. All for lazy people who refuse to work or that think their retirement should be built on the health needs of others.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Today is one of those days i spend at the hospital here in Montreal , starts off with the Endocrinologist to debate/adjust my diabetic medications, then a visit to the dietician to make sure i'm eating right,then off to ultra sound to get a doppler ultra sound of blood flow through my legs, then off to medical day clinic to further examine my diabetes and the journals i keep regarding drugs i take and foods i eat and resultant blood sugar readings..
Cost? $6 for parking.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:28 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
It'll be safe to assume that different Canadians may have different experiences with their health care system. This can be based on their health situations.

People like these who need certain surgeries seem to have some issues with wait times.

Key surgeries: Patients wait to get on a waiting list | Montreal Gazette
Different Canadians living in the same communities have opposing views on many subjects. For example in my city some claim the city council is terrible because of all the potholes on our streets and others think the roads are fine, some think once a week the recycling program 8s great and others think it is a waste. For sure a bad or great experience will bias one's opinion but some people simply like to find fault in anything that is not perfect. One thing to note to is sometimes a community has to wait for a large piece of equipment until one of the local labs decides to buy it as other than the hospital, medical services are all privately owned and operated.

With universal health care you will have more people seeing doctors, having lab tests and receiving treatment, you need to decide what is more important to you, faster service or that everyone that needs it obtains that service.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:59 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Isn't America more likely to move towards the Public Option? Wouldn't that be a hybrid approach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies