Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 06:56 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...aughter-allah/

How much more is needed to show that people like this don't belong in an American society.

Maybe in some Arabic countries people can choose the name of their choice as a last name for their child at birth but not over here. They are free to apply for a name change later but not at time of birth.

If you can accept our laws than leave. There are plenty of people waiting to come here and who don't mind the laws of the land.
The government should issue a social security number based on the legal birth certificate regardless of the name. I don't quite get this controversy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:

How much more is needed to show that people like this don't belong in an American society.

Maybe in some Arabic countries people can choose the name of their choice as a last name for their child at birth but not over here. They are free to apply for a name change later but not at time of birth.

If you can accept our laws than leave. There are plenty of people waiting to come here and who don't mind the laws of the land.

So much for the much vaunted virtue of American freedom, seems to me freedom is only viable if it conforms to your definition of what it is to be American.In other words people who arent just like you dont represent American society.Evidently to you this is the law.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:19 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Heavens to Betsy somebody files a lawsuit against the gov't for something they believe in

If that is your mentality, OP....then what about Scott Pruitt? He sued the EPA more than 10 times because he felt the laws limiting pollution for nuclear power plants were too strict.

Does Scott Pruitt belong in America?

Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Er. Wont that get their daughter killed? Thought that was not allowed.
Why would you think someone would kill the girl over her name....?

I actually have met people who have "Allah" as a part of their name and no one has killed them over it.

It is odd the state allowed her older brother to have the surname "Allah" but now is not allowing he and his sister to share the same surname.

I wonder how much older the brother is to where they didn't care about it when he was born.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:27 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
bentlebee.

I guess you have forgot about that famous American boxer, the world champion , whose last name was ALI. First name Muhammad. Probably the most recognised black American of the 20th century.

Your argument is completely wrong and not worthy of further comment.

xx.
This. Parents are free to name their children whatever ridiculous name they want, unfortunately for the kids. We are a free country after all, and we don't restrict what parents name their kids, OP. For the record, I'm not a fan of parents naming their kid Jesus either. A child is not a deity.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:

Why would you not think these people "belong in America" lol. They have regular American names - the parents. I bet they are black Americans - one of the most American demographics in the country (meaning we have a lot of American ancestry compared to most whites or other ethnic groups here).

The first name of the girl is a rather common black girl name that I've seen spelled a variety of ways.

Also, what do you think of people who name their kid "Jesus" either pronounced the Spanish or English way? Do you think they don't belong in America? I also remember a basketball player named "God" which is what Allah means.

Catching up withe the one and only God Shammgod on his 40th birthday.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:54 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't take this seriously.

Not in a world where Moon Unit is a legal name.
And Jesus is not an uncommon first name.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
This is the United States, freedom of religion. This is the most ridiculous argument ever. If you don't like someone's name you are going to kick them out? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? Many people change their names, heck I did when I got married should I leave?

How about this family:

Dad who named kid Hitler is tired of being ‘treated like garbage’ | New York Post

Old 03-27-2017, 07:57 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
there are a million jesus in america. why not allah?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:

Hmmm. I remember a big flap decades ago of a similar stripe. I believe it was Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane/Starship/Starship who wanted to name her child "God". It didn't fly. This is the same thing, just a rose by any other name. If it didn't fly for her I'd say the precedence is set. Honestly, what someone decides to name their child I see as their business. And I've seen some doozies slip in. Doing such to a child I also believe is unfair to that child, but, ....it's none of my business. One couple I remember from the very old days had the last name of Cain. They named their boy Coe. Morons. That child is now in his 30s, and he changed his name legally when he was 18. Gee I wonder why.

Still, does the state have the power to tell people what to name their child? Is there a law against being a moron?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies