Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 11:22 AM

89,014 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its the ordinary Americans who pay for the free stuff like wars, the bailouts, the gifts to big pharma and the rest of the corporate welfare that puppets of big money in Congress are constantly pushing for.
I'm not seeing how. The top 0.1% (minimum income of $2,136,762) earn 10.6% of the income, but pay 19.85% of the federal income tax revenue. That's the highest differential of federal income tax revenue paid share > than income share of all the income groups.

IRS Tax Data, here:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/SOI-Tax-Stats...and-Tax-Shares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 11:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Scandanavian vs Nordic countries, it wasn't dead wrong, there was a difference in the places I was talking about and I just called it out in that last post. Don't call me a liar when I basically just said I realized we were talking about slightly different places, but places that still use the same economic model. MANY places in the NORDIC country I was in charged $8-$17 for beers with the $8 end being rare, lunches were easily $25 and gas was $8-9/gallon, there is nothing "dead wrong" about any of that.
All Scandinavian countries are Nordic countries. Let's throw Oslo in there so complete the list of all Scandinavian capital cities. The average price of a pint of beer in Oslo starts at $4.50. Sorry.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:25 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm not seeing how. The top 0.1% (minimum income of $2,136,762) earn 10.6% of the income, but pay 19.85% of the federal income tax revenue. That's the highest differential of federal income tax revenue paid share > than income share of all the income groups.

IRS Tax Data, here:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/SOI-Tax-Stats...and-Tax-Shares.
Yes, the donor class are the ones who benefit from this free stuff. Ordinary Americans pay the taxes and the donor class get the wars, bailouts, big pharma gifts etc they want for themselves.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:28 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
One country that comes to mind with somewhat higher beer prices is France, but who in the world drinks beer while in France!
I did. It was more or less the same as US prices.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
All Scandinavian countries are Nordic countries. Let's throw Oslo in there so complete the list of all Scandinavian capital cities. The average price of a pint of beer in Oslo starts at $4.50. Sorry.
Nothing to be sorry about, but Iceland is where I was talking about, and there is nothing at all incorrect about the prices I quoted. Literally have a stack of receipts on my desk right now with half of that stuff documented. Iceland is something like the 3rd - 5th most expensive country in the world when it comes to cost of living, and taxes play a big part in that.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
$1.5 trillion from the current VA, Medicaid and Medicare taxes+$750 billion should be enough to fund a national health care system, absolutely yes. It would mean we would spend about $2.6 trillion in total health care costs (14.5% of GDP), and 80% publicly funded like other single payer systems. Thats perfectly reasonable.
Again, why should some people but not others be taxed twice or more for the same government-provided health care? Eliminate all those duplicate taxes (or portions thereof) that go towards funding health care, implement a 30% VAT that everyone pays, pro-rate a refund plus interest for those who've paid Medicare tax, and be done with it.

Europe and Scandinavia have 20%-25% VAT taxes. They work there, and a 30% VAT will work here in the US. Especially since according to the OECD, Americans have the highest level of disposable income.

Your objection to that is what?

Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Only you suggest that and it is as deluded as you saying that any adults in Texas can get Medicaid if they earn less than $40 000 a year.
How is it deluded?

Europe and Scandinavia have 20%-25% VAT taxes. They work there, and a 30% VAT will work here in the US. Especially since according to the OECD, Americans have the highest level of disposable income.

And it explains plain as day how adults in households with one or more child/ren or a family member with a disability are Medicaid-eligible on the .gov website link I posted.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Just last week Jerry Brown, governor of California, turned down state-funded universal healthcare for the same reason. At a projected cost of 450 billion per year, even California - the Democratic high-tax state with a world economy and full of wealthy tax payers to boot cannot shoulder the expense. If they can't, how can the U.S.?
Single payer UHC was turned down at the ballot box in Colorado last fall too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah, but in most, if not all single payer systems, no one is telling you your doctor is not an "in-network" member, your procedure is not covered, you've not reached your deductible yet and must continue your co-pay forever, so who actually would be suffering the lack of choice in your scenario?
Ya think? From the horse's mouth: Canada Health Act - Frequently Asked Questions
"A number of services provided by hospitals and physicians are not considered medically necessary, and are not insured by provincial and territorial health insurance plans."

Five things Canadians get wrong about the health system - The Globe and Mail
"The Canada Health Act guarantees that essential physician and hospital services are paid for by the government, but there is variation across provinces for what is considered an “essential health service” – and even who delivers the care or where care is delivered.

For example, Quebec’s publicly funded system includes fertility treatments, while most other provinces do not. Some provinces, including British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec, pay for births delivered by licensed midwives, while several provinces and territories do not. Eligible funded therapies for autism vary widely across the country. Abortion services are not equally accessible across the country.

The Canada Health Act does not cover prescription drugs, home care or long-term care, and as a result, there are widely different approaches for these services in each province."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...re-system.html
"Medically necessary services are not defined in the Canada Health Act. The provincial and territorial health care insurance plans consult with their respective physician colleges or groups. Together, they decide which services are medically necessary for health care insurance purposes."

Most Canadian provinces do not pay for prescriptions or mental health services, either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Wouldn't there be a problem with a state not being able to manipulate Federally mandated taxes while the Federal government can? I'm assuming any state attempting to fund it's own system has to do so while still maintaining it's tax obligations to the Federal level.

The Federal pie can be re-apportioned to suit it's needs of coverage.

Wouldn't there also be a situation where a state cannot print money to cover it's butt but the Fed can?
The Medicare issue was not resolved in the Colorado plan. I think that's part of the reason it failed.

Quote:
They also have a population that isn't close to 70% overweight/obese. And we also have a system where the price is so ridiculously out of line that nobody even knows the true costs. It makes no sense to develop an all-in everyone pays system when nobody knows anything about the cost other than the fact that its ridiculously over priced. Fix the pricing, then re-assess who needs help paying for it.
I actually screamed when I read that and scared my cat! There are many countries that are very close to us, including Canada: WHO | World Health Organization
WHO | World Health Organization
WHO | World Health Organization

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are no "mythical countries" or you wouldn't be discussing how it works there.
You know what I mean. People give examples without naming countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Canadians pay about 10% of income for public health insurance (via payroll taxes & general taxes). There is a cap so higher incomes pay a lower %. There are no deductibles, co-pays, or annual limits. Out of work? You are still covered. Feel ill? Go see a doctor and swipe your health card. No insurance middlemen increasing costs and a doctors don't need 1/2 an office focused on checking eligibility, billing & collections.
But someone is administering the program. Somehow, the offices submit the claims. And somehow, they get processed. https://buyandsell.gc.ca/procurement...W-XF-008-28919
"Since 1990, Canada has retained the services of a private sector contractor to administer the following core health information and claims processing services on its behalf:
* Requests and claims processing, adjudication and settlement;
* Provider registration and communications;
* Payment and Financial operations;
* Systems and services in support of the various NIHB operated Review, Prior-Approval, and Predetermination Centres.
* Provider Audit program and audit recoveries; and
* Data retention, collection, analysis and reporting"

Someone is getting paid to do this. That is an issue many do not seem to understand. It may be in a different budget than "health care".

I am in favor of a UHC for the US. I think Canada's system is a good model, though I have read criticism that it is too hospital-oriented, developed as it was in the 1950s when much care was performed in hospitals. But we need to get real people! There's no "Billing Fairy" that bills for free. It's not "carte blanche" on the care you can get.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:37 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Nothing to be sorry about, but Iceland is where I was talking about, and there is nothing at all incorrect about the prices I quoted. Literally have a stack of receipts on my desk right now with half of that stuff documented. Iceland is something like the 3rd - 5th most expensive country in the world when it comes to cost of living, and taxes play a big part in that.
Being a tourist island in the middle of the ocean where everything has to be shipped in by boat has more to do with it. Small isolated tourist islands are going to be expensive.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
This is the .gov link for Texas which makes it CRYSTAL CLEAR that adults can not get Medicaid in Texas if they earn more than $3000 a year:

https://yourtexasbenefits.hhsc.texas...s-and-families
Would an income of $0 qualify, of course it would. That's how non-income earning adults in households with one or more child/ren or with a family member with a disability qualify, as long as total household income is below the cutoff for household size.

So, yes, a household of 3. 2 adults. One child. One-income earner. Total household income below $40,000. The non-earning adult would qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies