Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I understand exactly how it works and I stand by my previous statement, its a minimum of about a 50% increase in my out of pocket cost
In other words, you would massively benefit as your out of pocket costs are just a fraction of what you really pay for health insurance (you pay for the employer part, you pay low rates at younger ages, you pay deductibles, you pay co-pays etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How did you come up with that number?
By using math.

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Who do you think gets the profits? The shareholders. Guess who the biggest US equities (stock shares) investor is?
Lot is entities collect profit.

You forgot to quote the rest

Quote:
Finn_Jarber: Besides, much of the current $3 trillion is already covered by our current taxes, so not all of it would have to be covered by new taxes
You are under the impression that:

1. The cost would remain the same, although it is much lower in single payer countries
2. Every penny would have to be collected from new taxes

Both assumptions are false.

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
The only problem with the free market is you have hundreds of thousands of people who are running companies that are not of interest in serving the people. Since they MUST profit to survive... something has to give, either serve less people or more expensive healthcare and/or both.

If you were the government, the last thing you'd want is either of those scenarios which is what is happening right now. So Uncle Sam of course is going to come down on the healthcare industry since free-market healthcare has had it's longest run in any industrialized country.
I do not know of a single country with a successful free market healthcare system.

Liechtenstein is one of the smallest countries in Europe with a population of about 37,000. They could have embraced any model of heathcare. They chose Universal Healthcare and a private insurance mandate. Both employees and employers pay for it.

There is one hospital and it's public. Healthcare providers are free to set their own fees arrangements with insurers. The population is free to seek healthcare in Switzerland and Austria when needs exceed the ability of the in country system to deliver. Private insurance picks up the tab.

No two countries do Universal Healthcare the same.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:40 AM

89,003 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Several people have shown you the 30% VAT would not be needed.
Incorrect. Their assumptions are based on double taxation for the same government expense.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
What did I just say three pages ago, Mike?

Healthcare is the topic here. Healthcare. A product that should not cost a wealthy earner more than a poor earner just because people like you say they can afford it. What you advocate is wealth redistribution to poorer classes. I don't advocate for the same. End of story.
That means you dont support flat taxes. That means you support 0.1% tax rate on the rich and 5% tax rate on Joe Sixpack for the same service.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
By using math.
Show it.

How did you determine how much you would pay in single payer system compared to what you pay now.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:42 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
When I mention college education, I am talking about the cost of the entire "industry" - which has exploded.

Why does it cost so much - wherever you go?

The first I went to college was 1986 to a mid-level 4 year school. I lived at home - the tuition was $960 for 16 credit hours. $60 per credit hour. I graduated in 4.5 years with $5,000 in student loans.

My wife went to the same school (stayed on campus for all 4 years), graduated, and got her master's degree at a major school in the northeast. All of that ended up being $40K in student loans.

$40K will get you maybe two semesters on average right now at a decent 4 year school.

The prices in the industry of college education are high because the government has driven the costs up industry wide - public and private.

I understand that tuition is cheaper - but how much is the true cost per student? How much is the state subsidizing the school to bring the tuition costs down? At does that makes the cost (the tuition + the subsidy per student) less than the private university?

The same will continue to happen with health care.
Wrong, healthcare and college have gotten more expensive than other goods due to Baumol's Cost Disease. Both are high demand goods that are labor intensive (meaning can't be automated). While automation has helped other fields increase their productivity, allowing wages to go up without affecting inflation; education and healthcare have not benefitted from these productivity gains at all.

BUT.... wages still have to increase to attract talent. So in the case of education and healthcare, the only way to increase wages is to increase the price and pass it on to the consumer. Otherwise, if wages in healthcare and education had stayed in line with productivity, qualified people would just become stock brokers or some other profession rather than doctors or teachers/professor's.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:42 AM

89,003 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Your point is fantasy. Even by eliminating Medicare tax, Medicaid tax, VA tax and other taxes, your calculations are way off the mark.
You do the math. Divide annual US health care spending by annual US consumer spending.

It's about 30%.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Who do you think gets the profits? The shareholders. Guess who the biggest US equities (stock shares) investor is?
The top 1% own pretty close to half of all stocks. Its not the average senior on 401k as you always try to claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies