Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:39 AM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
The draw of statism is that people want to create this powerful good guy that's allowed to control everyone by force and take their stuff, trusting it to not abuse that power...and when you get war, economic problems, infighting over who gets to control the organization, lobbying, and all kind of other corruption, people say "well this version didn't work, but maybe next time". Or worse, they blame freedom and demand MORE government.

Many people are afraid of being free, so they trade in EVERYONE'S freedom to choose for the (unfulfilled) promise of safety. That's another reason I laugh when people call liberty-oriented people naive. Yes, you're so much wiser than us while you repeat the same mistakes people have made for thousands of years. So annoying.

Alright, I feel a little better now.
Nobody is advocating more Government and there should be proper oversight of public organisations.

However this does not mean we should abandon the rule of law or stop acting as a society and protecting our elderly and vulnerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 10:13 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Nobody is advocating more Government and there should be proper oversight of public organisations.

However this does not mean we should abandon the rule of law or stop acting as a society and protecting our elderly and vulnerable.
People are always advocating more government, so I disagree on that...but I was actually thinking more big picture of worldwide history, or even just throughout the history of the U.S.

I'm also not for abandoning societal rules or against protecting those who need help. I just don't accept the state as an acceptable option, not only because I think it's immoral, but because it creates more problems than it solves.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
What a stupid thread. Think something else up next time. This is lame...

Old 03-30-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
People are always advocating more government, so I disagree on that...but I was actually thinking more big picture of worldwide history, or even just throughout the history of the U.S.

I'm also not for abandoning societal rules or against protecting those who need help. I just don't accept the state as an acceptable option, not only because I think it's immoral, but because it creates more problems than it solves.
People aren't always advocating more Government, they often advocate less Government and more independent control.

In terms of the state could you define what you mean, do you mean police, armed forces and other such organisations.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:53 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Well if that is what you want , no protection, we should do away with the police, and the courts, and the armies .. We should just let anyone break into our home and expect no protection. Do away with 911 if someone breaks into your home.

If you are mugged , no big deal, no courts, no action against the mugger.. nothing.. just barbaric behavior because there is no one who will protect you.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:21 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
So basically you don't support that Constitution of the United States of America, a document that defends property rights, individual freedom and equality exclusive of economic standing.

Have fun with your Libertarian Utopia, a place that exists nowhere in the real world. Maybe you can plead your case to Assad and build your Utopia in Syria.

I am personally getting sick of "the market" being brought up as a solution to everything. Make money your God and we all lose. The wealth will quickly be confiscated by the wealthiest and there will be no one to defend the property rights of the common man.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:32 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that I hate the idea of "protection". The promise and desire to be protected has always been the means by which tyranny could spread. And it's not just SJW protection, it's all protection. In my opinion, and it's simply my opinion, protection seems to be a lost cause. I think we're better off abandoning the idea that the government should protect us, than trying to find ways to somehow justify the legitimacy of government.

I am not an anarchist, but I do think all protection services by the state and federal governments should definitely be left up to the market. I feel that if someone feels they need to be protected, they should pay for it. Just how it's not anyone's burden to feed you, clothe you, or pay for your college. It is also no someone else's burden to make sure you feel protected. If you feel you should be protected, then come out of your own pocket. But again, just my opinion.
You didn't understand how much you need others. You may not need protection, but you need other people, and they need protection, even if you do not.

That's how all societies have always worked, since the stone age. As a single man, you aren't anything much at all. All by yourself, you might be able to survive, but you will not prosper all by yourself. The only way you prosper is if all the others you know or have contact with do as well.

That means that we are all in this together. The people who can benefit you the very most may well the the same people in most dire need of protection, whether you realize it or not.

This is the reasons why humans are sociable animals and form societies. And from societies came cities, and then nations. You can opt out if you want to return to solitary stone age life, but anything more than that requires a lot of help from others that help you as much as it helps them.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:19 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Well if that is what you want , no protection, we should do away with the police, and the courts, and the armies .. We should just let anyone break into our home and expect no protection. Do away with 911 if someone breaks into your home.

If you are mugged , no big deal, no courts, no action against the mugger.. nothing.. just barbaric behavior because there is no one who will protect you.
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short. Yup.

It tends not to happen, though, because if you're mugged every time you manage to scrape together a crust of bread, nothing gets done. So people form tribes. To keep other tribes in check, some of your tribe needs to be warriors. And they have to practice a lot, to be good at it, so you can't have them working the fields as well. Inevitably, your warrior class starts realizing that they can more or less do what they want as they want - who'll stop them? - and presto, feudalism. Which depressingly seems to be the natural state, in one form or other.

The idea that everybody gets to vote on how to run things is a recent one.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:29 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
People aren't always advocating more Government, they often advocate less Government and more independent control.

In terms of the state could you define what you mean, do you mean police, armed forces and other such organisations.
When I say the state, I mean the person or group with a territorial monopoly on the initiation of force. That's the most specific definition I have. In more simple terms, it's the one designated group in society that's allowed to boss people around and take their stuff.

I'm not against all functions of police and armed forces, but they're essentially the armed muscle for politicians. Politicians make the rules, and they enforce whatever rules they decide to make, or bomb whoever they say to bomb, etc. The good parts (protecting innocent people, deterring crime, etc.) can be done without a monopoly agency that's allowed to take your money by force and control your life.

It is a radical idea at the moment, and that definitely makes people uncomfortable, but hopefully it makes a little more sense...it's not that we want everyone to fend for themselves or anything like that. Really, at least for me, it's that I want to be consistent with my beliefs. I think it's wrong to force other people to fund what I personally want, and it's wrong to force my ideas on others when they're minding their own business and doing no harm to anyone. Therefore, it wouldn't be okay to designate some group to do it on my behalf. Find another way to get it done.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
When I say the state, I mean the person or group with a territorial monopoly on the initiation of force. That's the most specific definition I have. In more simple terms, it's the one designated group in society that's allowed to boss people around and take their stuff.

I'm not against all functions of police and armed forces, but they're essentially the armed muscle for politicians. Politicians make the rules, and they enforce whatever rules they decide to make, or bomb whoever they say to bomb, etc. The good parts (protecting innocent people, deterring crime, etc.) can be done without a monopoly agency that's allowed to take your money by force and control your life.

It is a radical idea at the moment, and that definitely makes people uncomfortable, but hopefully it makes a little more sense...it's not that we want everyone to fend for themselves or anything like that. Really, at least for me, it's that I want to be consistent with my beliefs. I think it's wrong to force other people to fund what I personally want, and it's wrong to force my ideas on others when they're minding their own business and doing no harm to anyone. Therefore, it wouldn't be okay to designate some group to do it on my behalf. Find another way to get it done.
The Government is the executive and it does produce bills, however it the legislator Parliament or Congress that it the legislator, indeed just the other week Trump's Healthcare Bill failed to get passed the legislative process. Laws that pass the legislative process are interpreted by the Judiciary.

This is a democratic process, involving representatives directly elected by society, as for being an individual we are all individuals with our different views and we get a vote in respect of our views as individuals. I am afraid the system is never going to please everyone as individuals, but is should reflect wider societies views.

Whether the US Electoral College system needs to reviewed is a matter for debate, as it really should be the 'Will' of the people which decides elections.

As for us all having our own agendas it's never going to work, and is usually some liberal hippy dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies