Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:01 PM

754 posts, read 484,307 times

Advertisements

Rumours are that Trump is growing increasingly frustrated with the Freedom Caucus (as are many other congressional Republicans) and considering to shift to the center and work with Democrats on tax reform, infrastructure etc.

White House looks past conservatives on tax reform - to Democrats | Reuters

The Freedom Caucus, representing about 30 members out of the current 240 Republican congressman, hold a hardline conservative attitude often demanding a bill close to 100% of what they want or else they block the vote, shutting down the government if necessary.

Trump, becoming increasingly fed up with rigid ideologically pure conservatives, is considering to reach out to moderate democrats instead. Trump isn't overly ideological as we know and at the end of the day wants to get stuff done and have his administration at least being productive.

This tactic however is exactly what John Boehner tried when he to got fed up of the Freedom Caucus and started to work with democrats.

That of course was to be his downfall however as Mark Meadows (Freedom Caucus leader) filed a resolution to remove him as speaker which eventually became successful and Boehner was removed.

Potential civil war between the Freedom Caucus/Koch brothers/Club for Growth vs Trump brewing?

Interesting to see what side Talk Radio takes if this, as Hannity/Ingraham/Levin all LOVE the Freedom Caucus thinking they are the only true Americans in congress right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 04:16 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,905,500 times
Seems far fetched to me.

However I will say this ... I think true staunch conservatives will be disappointed with him. Abortion will not be banned, same sex marriage will not be outlawed, meaningful tax reform or health care reform will not happen. There will be a wall on the Mexican border, though, but I suppose it will lessen the number of illegal immigrants by 10% or 15%.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:19 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,078,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Seems far fetched to me.

However I will say this ... I think true staunch conservatives will be disappointed with him. Abortion will not be banned, same sex marriage will not be outlawed, meaningful tax reform or health care reform will not happen. There will be a wall on the Mexican border, though, but I suppose it will lessen the number of illegal immigrants by 10% or 15%.
I'm fine with abortion not being outright banned. I just want the abortion factory Planned Parenthood to be defunded

I am fine with gay marriage, I just now want the government to now shut up about LGBTQXDTGRTG issus

Old 03-27-2017, 05:12 PM

18,673 posts, read 7,542,298 times
Trump set abandon the Freedom Caucus and work with Democrats instead?

That would be like bank guards deciding not to do what their bosses (and the depositers) say, and "working with" the bank robbers instead.

Not gonna happen.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:21 PM

25,438 posts, read 17,134,480 times
Love all the "this is what's gonna happen" responses.

Keeps discussion to a minimum. But I guess that's their purpose. No point in discussing it with them.

The Freedom Caucus represents 30 votes. And they have shown that they will move en masse. Looks to me like a heck of an opportunity. Punch through to an agreement with them and you are in.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:29 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,805,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Love all the "this is what's gonna happen" responses.

Keeps discussion to a minimum. But I guess that's their purpose. No point in discussing it with them.

The Freedom Caucus represents 30 votes. And they have shown that they will move en masse. Looks to me like a heck of an opportunity. Punch through to an agreement with them and you are in.
Simpler to just ignore them and go elsewhere. They won't agree to anything, they've proven that.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:36 PM

39,026 posts, read 51,082,683 times
I don't see why Democrats would be inclined to work with Trump. He is a failed one-termer without them. Maybe if he dangled a real carrot like national health insurance, but otherwise, no.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:56 PM

17,387 posts, read 9,211,900 times
Democrats will never work with President Trump -- They have declared "War on Trump".
They think they will impeach him and the rabid Leftists will accept nothing less than that.

Weakened Democrats Bow to Voters, Opting for Total War on Trump |New York Times - 2/23/17

Memories are very short -- Donald Trump ran against 16 GOP Candidates in the primary. Every single one of them had a Political History, they were ALL "Politicians". After he beat them in the largest GOP Primary Victory in History -- he had to battle the Democratic Machine, the Corporate Media AND the Insider Republican Elites. NONE of them wanted him and ALL of them LOST to the People.

Paul Ryan dis-invited Donald Trump to a Rally & has never liked him. McCain goes overseas and runs him down Internationally. BIG GOP donors (like Romney & the Koch Bros) voted for Hillary and are still working against the American people and their choice for President - as is the Bush Family.

Part of the problem with the Freedom Caucus is that they are 100% of the time -- "My Way or the Highway". Ted Cruz was the same way and look how that worked out for him.

These clowns need to buckle down and figure out exactly WHO pays their salary -- that would be the TaxPayer. Democrats, Elites, Freedom Caucus and all the Sore Losers ... they seem to think they have a lifetime job and can ignore the American People.

They will find out differently. ObamaCare is going to Crash - all these fools that care more about their Vendetta against Donald Trump than they do the people who will suffer when O-Care Implodes will face the consequences.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:59 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,620,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't see why Democrats would be inclined to work with Trump. He is a failed one-termer without them. Maybe if he dangled a real carrot like national health insurance, but otherwise, no.
i agree. But i dont think Trump actually understands what his job really is. I think he thinks, he is some kind of Boss who can just demand things.

Trump bumped into the courts and ranted like a child. But it was his fault for putting a stupid ban.

Trump tries to push through his first big bill, and tried to threaten adults over whom he has no actually control and little influence.

Trump does not know he is not the boss of the nation, but instead he is the boss of HIS branch and no other.

Trump controls 1 of 3, but thinks it is 3 out 3 plus the 4th.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:06 PM

46,891 posts, read 25,866,768 times
Yeah, that'll happen. What Democrat wouldn't love to go his home district and explain how he worked with Trump?

To say nothing of the bigger problem, one that applies to both sides of Congress: Political cooperation has to be from a position of some sort of trust - if one side concedes something, they have to trust that the other will deliver a quid pro quo. And at this point in time, nobody in their right mind trusts Trump to do anything but what's expedient for himself in the short run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies