Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
As opposed to churches which have ALWAYS been indoctrination camps?

If colleges are indoctrination camps as you say, at least they are targeting individuals whose reasoning faculties have come to a point of maturity, rather than targeting children before they are capable of critical thinking.
Critical thinking? That's a misnomer.

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
/thathappened

Agreed. I don't think persecution of Christians will end until we elect the first Christian president. Then we can finally come out of the shadows and proclaim our faith.
I suspect that many will not get the point of this post.

Mere Cushiantity: The Myth of Christian Persecution in America | john pavlovitz

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
The college campus is no longer becoming a place for free debates.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31853/
That this thread devolved into a discussion of the existence of Jesus and the crucification rather proves the relevancy of the the issue raised in the class: historicity.

The young man lost me with this statement:
Quote:
Honestly, it reminded me of some of the more radical groups I researched when abroad,” Polston told the Central Florida Post about his professor’s comments on Jesus. ... “Whether religious or not, I believe even those with limited knowledge of Christianity can agree that according to the text, Jesus was crucified and his followers did believe he was divine… that he was ‘God,’” he continued. “Regardless, to assert the contrary as academic fact is not supported by the evidence.”
Here: he's clearly wrong on both points. The movement - both within the academic and, increasingly, the online community - to examine the historicity of Jesus comes NOT from insidious Muslim influences but is driven in large part by former evangelical Christians, although some researchers are long-term atheists.

Disagree or not with various positions and the validity of proffered "evidence," the work of professors like Bart Ehrman commands respect both in academic world and in religious institutions. Frequent debates among academics, writers, and religious leaders now examine various questions with conferences held to evaluate ongoing research. Bible colleges are at the forefront of taking a look at the historicity movement - if only to gain expertise in mounting an effective counter-argument.

It sounds to me like this young man was trying to stake out a position to make a name for himself - at the expense of "free debate" in the college class that he enrolled himself in. Well ... in that he succeeded.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOLOLOLOL

WOW.

If you are "living in the shadows" because of your faith, that is your own doing. Christians ARE NOT persecuted in this country and have no reason to fear being vocal in their faith. Goodness gracious. Also, we've had PLENTY of Christian presidents.
Which was exactly the point of the post you quoted.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Way to pretend to miss the point. I thought ABQConvict's remark was quite clever.

But I don't think anybody of any political stripe thinks Donald is a Christian, lol, even his supporters. He did pick up his second wife in the church he attended while married to his first wife, however, so maybe that was sort of a religious experience for him.
I thought so too but clearly it was much too subtle for many to grasp.

Par for the course, I suppose, when so many members of the majority religion in this country still perceive themselves as literally persecuted.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Critical thinking? That's a misnomer.
Well you do think a dude came back to life after being stone dead for 3 days so you may be right, since your critical thinking faculties clearly never kicked in.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Tacitus mentions Christ and Christians in his "Annals of Tacitus". He didn't think too highly of them, either.
That's like saying Chuck Shumer doesn't like Ronald Reagan or conservatives. But it happened a long time ago so it must be true!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, this article doesn't explain anything from the teacher's point of view. This is solely from the view of Mr Polston, who doesn't just have an interest in proclaiming his innocence as a student. Mr Polston has a vlog he is promoting, and an entire agenda. His agenda is probably why he chose to challenge the professor.

However, the letter of suspension makes it clear he was not suspended just for disrupting the class. He is admonished to refrain from any contact with the professor, and with a fellow student. Both of whom feel threatened by him. They don't feel threatened because he's a Christian. They feel threatened because he's gone beyond just challenging them.

In this extremely conservative link you can find the letter of suspension.

Muslim Professor Attacks Christianity, Files False Police Report, and Gets Christian Student Suspended ⋆ The Constitution
Thanks for filling out the story.
It was pretty clear that the OP was extremely one-sided and self-serving.
Good to have verification.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:28 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Well you do think a dude came back to life after being stone dead for 3 days so you may be right, since your critical thinking faculties clearly never kicked in.
You're walking proof that Lucifer exists.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:33 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
The college campus is no longer becoming a place for free debates.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31853/
He seems to have gone beyond being involved in healthy, respectful debating and moved into stalker, threatening territory. Just because he 'toured the Middle East and is familiar with Muslim culture' does not make him an expert on either the culture or the religion. Of course we are only hearing one side of the story but from the article, he comes across as rather pompous and arrogant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
/thathappened

Agreed. I don't think persecution of Christians will end until we elect the first Christian president. Then we can finally come out of the shadows and proclaim our faith.
America has elected presidents who claimed to be Christian. I think that the last president who really seemed like a christian was Jimmy Carter and I didn't see hordes of believers coming out to proclaim the faith during his term in office. American Christians haven't been really persecuted for their faith as Christians have been in other countries but that day is coming. It will be real interesting to see how many 'Christians' are willing to die for their faith when push comes to shove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies