Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 08:09 PM

88,581 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
And over 100K Jews in the US alone recognized that Jesus was the promised Messiah (spoken of in the OT), and now, as Messianic Jews, call themselves 'fulfilled' Jews and wait for His return, just as Christians do.

Thought I'd throw that in since you didn't have a category for this group.
I don't want to cause controversy. Jews don't consider Messianic Jews as Jews, but rather lost Jewish souls. It's a discussion for the R&S forum.

A friend of mine is one. She is in her 70s. Her two oldest sisters are practicing Jews, but she converted as a young woman, and her brother was doing drugs in Haight-Ashbury when somebody came along and started talking to him, and he was one of the first J4J.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sorry, but that's the Jehovah's Witnesses. Mormons believe He was nailed to a cross.
Go Katzpur.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I have a question for those of you with more extensive biblical and historical knowledge . What event or series of events occurred that led to the very people that killed Christ ( Romans ) ended up being in charge of the Christian Church?
There's no short answer.

There's a book, a very large, comprehensive book, called Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years. Written by someone from Oxford. It's a history book, not a religious book. I recommend it, but you have to take your time to read it. I did it over about 9 months with a discussion group.

https://www.amazon.com/Christianity-.../dp/0143118692

Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I know of no case where a Christian has converted to Islam. I have met several former Muslims who left Islam once they recognized errors in their Muslim religion. It costs them a great deal to convert to Christianity, as you may know. They are not only disowned by their families, they are under sentence of death for being "infidels". I can't think of another religion that would threaten one with death for leaving.

I can't agree that Christianity gets its "dogma" completely wrong -- if that is what you are saying. You may believe that, but I do not. There is far more that is correct (right) in the core of the faith than there are contradictions. The differences in doctrine between various denominations are just that - different views that do not exclude one from the whole as long as there is agreement on the core (foundation) upon which faith stands.
WoodrowLI, the moderator for the Islam and Judaism forums, is a Christian who became atheist and then became a Muslim. He provided a link to his story, and I read it. It was very interesting.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:05 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Then Fox news anchors must all be Muslims...

Again, read the story. He was suspended for being "disruptive." It's likely that what he was saying was not the issue, but that he was saying anything at all (and likely doing it pretty regularly). And I'm not justifying the suspension in saying this; I'm just not lying.
I don't care about Fox "news." But yes, I'm sure she made up some pretext like "disruption" for suspending him.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:20 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't care about Fox "news." But yes, I'm sure she made up some pretext like "disruption" for suspending him.
And what information do you have that indicated that she made something up?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Or, you know... maybe he was a disruptive person?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
It's true, sadly, that Christians do judge based on "sect". However, there is clear criteria what constitutes a sect. Primarily, it's departure from basic doctrine and elaborate interpretations they build upon someone who came along with new knowledge, sometimes to the point where it has very little relation to the Bible.

OK, if you say so. That's not what I've learned though. Messianic Jews are Jews and consider themselves Jews. The argument between them is similar, in a way, to that between Christians of different doctrinal positions.

Jesus is totally "new", original, the one and only, Immanuel ("God with us"), the Alpha and Omega. He and the Father are one. He has said so many times, as has been recorded by some of the apostles who wrote letters to the churches teaching, admonishing and encouraging them in doctrine. Jesus is prophecy fulfilled. Isaiah wrote about his birth some 600 years before it happened.

The Apostles, by the way, were eyewitnesses (all but one, Paul).

Disciples/Apostles = eyewitnesses.

I do agree that later on men corrupted the teachings, devised their own, and exercised a lot of power over people. Hence Martin Luther made his now famous proclamation which he nailed to the door and changed "religion" forever by breaking from the Roman Catholic system.

Religion is man-made. Faith is God given. There's a world of difference.
I don't know if the Apostles are real people or just extra protagonists added for embellishment. Their stories don't necessarily match up anyway..

Btw...the faith is based on the RELIGIOUS teachings!

Old 03-28-2017, 09:56 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
And what information do you have that indicated that she made something up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Or, you know... maybe he was a disruptive person?
He is a sophomore with straight A's. If he was so "disruptive" then how did he get through almost two years of college without any issues? Combine that with the islamic requirements of lying to protect islam and it's pretty clear who the credible person is here.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:59 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
He is a sophomore with straight A's. If he was so "disruptive" then how did he get through almost two years of college without any issues? Combine that with the islamic requirements of lying to protect islam and it's pretty clear who the credible person is here.
A's aren't that hard to get anymore. Just being honest.

Perhaps he wasn't disruptive in other classes? Perhaps this class was being taught in a way he felt deserved disruption? You're operating on limited information and making pretty broad assumptions about the scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies