Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:30 AM

379 posts, read 255,231 times

Advertisements

What's wrong: most of the immigrants of today suck! They're parasitic, have low IQ's, have no or few skills, and are in some cases illiterate in their own languages. And not everyone of them is so damn "hard working." Even if some are "hard working", I don't give a rat's ---! We already have plenty of intelligent hard workers here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 11:46 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Here's the thing most of you seem to be forgetting: NOBODY FROM WESTERN EUROPE WANTS TO MOVE HERE. What do we have to offer them? Guns and Bibles? No social safety net? A rat race to the bottom? Seriously, the United States is like a set backwards for most Europeans. Nobody in Britain wakes up and says "Wow, I should move to America". If they do move somewhere it's to a British Commonwealth realm (Canada, Australia, and New Zealand in particular are very popular with British expats and vice verse the other way around, many Australians move to the UK) or one of the overseas territories or crown dependencies like Jersey, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man, etc.

The only people who WANT to move to the US are from countries that are less well off than we are ... IE: THE THIRD WORLD (Africa, Latin America, Asia, etc).

Old 03-28-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
They did so because the GOP this time around called them murderers and rapists.

It's a balancing act. I guarantee you, if your candidate was as passionate against the gheys like myself, 70% of the Latinos and like 90% of the blacks would have voted for the GOP candidate.

Blacks and Latinos are known to be conservative. Again, prop 8 proved this.
^ this

I don't understand why Republicans can't grasp this. When you keep bashing a group of people they aren't going to vote for you no matter how much of your agenda they may agree with. This is basic logic ... yet it eludes the Republicans.

If the Republicans would stop catering to White racial resentment they would be an literal unstoppable force.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:55 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
I have asked this question before but never seemed to ever gotten any clear answer. So, let's discuss this topic.

I will start by telling about my own family. We are an immigrant family. Both my parents were professors in our home country before the communists took over. They applied to come to the US legally as political refugees. The wait was long. And by long, I mean they applied before I was born and we finally got the clear when I was 10. So, we literally waited in line for 10 years to come over here.

I have 4 siblings. Between us, we have an electrical engineer, a civil engineer, a structural engineer, a software engineer, and a mathematician.

Think about it for a second. My family is obviously qualified to contribute to the American economy and society. And yet, we were made to wait in line for 10 years. Think of all the talents that never got through because of the ridiculously long wait due to the bureaucracy.

We live here now and we consider ourselves Americans. All my nephews and nieces were born here and they consider themselves completely American. We want to see this country succeed just as much as any other true American.

To me, while we as a country argue back and forth about illegal immigration, I think we are losing site of the fact that whoever that immigrates to this country we would want them to contribute in a positive way. Yes? I know it is not politically correct for me to say this, but not all immigrants should be treated equally. Some will carry their own weight while some will just be a drain on the system.

So, what is wrong with merit based immigration system?
Depends on who is deciding the merits- I'm serious. We all have bias in some way, and if the "merit based" system is biased. there will be problems. Personally, I'm biased against Islam. However, if muslims were closely and properly screened- than okay. Congratulations on your families success.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:55 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
I think this is a myth that keeps perpetuating among conservatives. Poor immigrants and their descendants may be dependent on the system, but they are also very religious and insanely conservative. Don't forget that prop 8 passed in the most liberal state in the country with 60%+ of hispanics and up to 70% blacks voting for it.
You couldn't be more wrong on all accounts.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Pretty much. Politically I am a moderate, but I do see the value in allowing our immigration system to reinforce the best of us, be it in science and technology and historically and culturally..

I'm not against allowing immigration of people from developing countries but at this point that is overwhelmingly who we allow into the US now. Yet, the French, British, Irish, Danes has a far more difficult route when these are the people who are most likely to have the ability to contribute, assimilate, etc.

This country is losing its links with its history and culture, and I find that very concerning.
As do I.

I'd support a moratorium on most kinds of immigration with severe cutbacks in work-related visas until we can get this under control.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:04 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
They did so because the GOP this time around called them murderers and rapists.

It's a balancing act. I guarantee you, if your candidate was as passionate against the gheys like myself, 70% of the Latinos and like 90% of the blacks would have voted for the GOP candidate.

Blacks and Latinos are known to be conservative. Again, prop 8 proved this.

That's a liberal and ethnocentric lie! Trump said that some or many "illegal" Latinos are rapists and murderers not Latino citizens or legal immigrants. He did not call all Muslim's terrorists either. If you're going to debate then do it with honesty not spinning the truth instead.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Facts once again disagree with you. 70% of Muslim vote for Democrats.

More Than 1 Million US Muslims Now Registered to Vote

"The October CAIR survey showed that 72 percent of registered Muslim voters planned to vote for Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, while only 4 percent said they would cast their ballots for Trump. "
Actually most Muslim Americans were staunch Republicans until after 9/11. Grover Norquist in particular was a big advocate of reaching out to Muslims because of their high rate of small business ownership. Norquist has also repeatedly tried to get Republicans to become more friendly towards Puerto Ricans. People need to realize that (despite whatever they may claim) Nuyoricans ARE NOT Puerto Ricans. Island Puerto Ricans tend to hate Nuyoricans because they give them a bad name and hurt Puerto Rico's image on the mainland.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:24 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Those who have and continue to seek to immigrate from elsewhere tend to do so for greater opportunities, if not for themselves, then for their children.

The source countries have evolved over time. Most immigrants were dirt poor and not particularly skilled or educated. They tended to live in ethnic ghettos and shared apartments until they could afford something of their own. First generation did not assimilate well.

Refugee immigration peaked in the 1980's and they tended to be brown/black people. I have no recollection of public outrage. The 2016 number was a fraction of this.

Congresswoman Mia Love's parents came here on tourist Visas from Haiti and overstayed their time. The way the story goes, is they had $10 to their name and never took a dime from anyone. $10 did not go very far back then. How did they leave the airport? Where did they live? What did they eat? Back then, there was no Federal Law against hiring undocumented workers and I presume they were able to obtain employment. They, like the immigrants before them, got busy creating a baby with birthrights to increase their ability to import the rest of their family they left behind in Haiti. And they certainly did.

I have no issue with putting refugee immigration on the back burner until such time that the status of 11-12 million illegal immigrants is brought to a conclusion. We are not going to deport 11-12 million, otherwise law abiding people. There's push back for creating a pathway. And so by doing nothing, the can continues to kick.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:25 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Here's the thing most of you seem to be forgetting: NOBODY FROM WESTERN EUROPE WANTS TO MOVE HERE. What do we have to offer them? Guns and Bibles? No social safety net? A rat race to the bottom? Seriously, the United States is like a set backwards for most Europeans. Nobody in Britain wakes up and says "Wow, I should move to America". If they do move somewhere it's to a British Commonwealth realm (Canada, Australia, and New Zealand in particular are very popular with British expats and vice verse the other way around, many Australians move to the UK) or one of the overseas territories or crown dependencies like Jersey, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man, etc.

The only people who WANT to move to the US are from countries that are less well off than we are ... IE: THE THIRD WORLD (Africa, Latin America, Asia, etc).
That's not entirely true. While there are a lot of Brits who would stay in the U.K., salaries are quite high in America if you have an in demand skill. I am an American living in the U.K. And I come across Brits, mostly young people who are interested yet are a bit peeved they cannot. And these are postgraduate students
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies