Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:28 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Those who have and continue to seek to immigrate from elsewhere tend to do so for greater opportunities, if not for themselves, then for their children.

The source countries have evolved over time. Most immigrants were dirt poor and not particularly skilled or educated. They tended to live in ethnic ghettos and shared apartments until they could afford something of their own. First generation did not assimilate well.
But those immigrants were White so it's ok. It's only because current immigrants are Black, Hispanic, and other non-Western people that it's suddenly a problem. Believe me, if the majority of illegal immigrants were still Irish on expired visas you wouldn't hear a single peep about it.

For the modern Know Nothings it's all about race. You can't even reach a reasonable middle ground with them, they won't settle for anything less than the mass deportation of every last illegal immigrant. Believe me, I've tried to meet them half way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 01:47 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Some dems fall for this myth as well.

Low skilled immigrants tend to be religious and superstitious. This makes them very conservative. They always vote for the conservative party. So, allowing illegal immigrants to stay actually benefit the GOP. Prop 8 was the perfect example of this.
What, this is insane. Low skilled immigrants legal or not overwhelmingly vote Democrat. This is not up for debate. It's common knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Here's the thing most of you seem to be forgetting: NOBODY FROM WESTERN EUROPE WANTS TO MOVE HERE. What do we have to offer them? Guns and Bibles? No social safety net? A rat race to the bottom? Seriously, the United States is like a set backwards for most Europeans. Nobody in Britain wakes up and says "Wow, I should move to America". If they do move somewhere it's to a British Commonwealth realm (Canada, Australia, and New Zealand in particular are very popular with British expats and vice verse the other way around, many Australians move to the UK) or one of the overseas territories or crown dependencies like Jersey, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man, etc.

The only people who WANT to move to the US are from countries that are less well off than we are ... IE: THE THIRD WORLD (Africa, Latin America, Asia, etc).
Nope that's bunk lots of people want to come to the US. A lot of countries in Europe are small they may be 1st world but they still have limited job opportunities.

The US turns them away..wheres the libbies on that? Why do they only care about immigrants from the third world? Imagine if Einstein couldn't have come to the US. The US is missing out on geniuses from all over the world that would love to come to the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
But those immigrants were White so it's ok. It's only because current immigrants are Black, Hispanic, and other non-Western people that it's suddenly a problem. Believe me, if the majority of illegal immigrants were still Irish on expired visas you wouldn't hear a single peep about it.

For the modern Know Nothings it's all about race. You can't even reach a reasonable middle ground with them, they won't settle for anything less than the mass deportation of every last illegal immigrant. Believe me, I've tried to meet them half way.
Lies, lies, and more lies. Most immigrants right now are from Latin America. Very few are black or asian.

Black and asian immigrants are forced out and have no chance.

Where's the libbies at? Where's the protests? Why are they against people from Africa and countries in Asia?

Last edited by wanderlust76; 03-28-2017 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 03:32 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The Democrats prefer poor immigrants because that's who votes for them. A merit based system would bring in more moderates or possibly even people that vote Republican. You can pretty much guarantee that the Dems are the ones primarily against a merit based system. As always they don't care what's best for the country it's all about votes.

Immigration is a complete mess and needs reformed the country is going broke trying to support everyone with social services. Mexico loves sending us their poor people it's less they have to deal with.

A merit based system makes perfect sense if someone is a genius scientist they should get put to the top of the list. Democrats are the only ones disagreeing with this so they are hurting the country due to their stance on immigration.

Thanks Democrats.
Ummm, Wanderlust, it's not the (D)s who lose their collective minds every time some lawmaker even says
" comprehensive immigration reform "

Old 03-28-2017, 04:02 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Hispanic used to vote Republicans until The demonization by Republicans and the fact that they got their own ethnic group, even in Texas the Tejanos overwhelmingly vote Republican. Blacks used to vote Republicans too until the Republicans party decided they wanted racism as their main standpoint back in the 50's. In fact Muslim Americans overwhelmingly voted Republicans until after 9/11. This is because many Republicans wanted to deport or murder them and would do so. It got so bad that Indians and other Asian groups perceived to be Muslim got attacked also. Now guess who doesn't vote for Republicans anymore either. They managed to successfully drive out their huge amounts of immigrant voters, since the 50's.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:04 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I have asked this question before but never seemed to ever gotten any clear answer. So, let's discuss this topic.

I will start by telling about my own family. We are an immigrant family. Both my parents were professors in our home country before the communists took over. They applied to come to the US legally as political refugees. The wait was long. And by long, I mean they applied before I was born and we finally got the clear when I was 10. So, we literally waited in line for 10 years to come over here.

I have 4 siblings. Between us, we have an electrical engineer, a civil engineer, a structural engineer, a software engineer, and a mathematician.

Think about it for a second. My family is obviously qualified to contribute to the American economy and society. And yet, we were made to wait in line for 10 years. Think of all the talents that never got through because of the ridiculously long wait due to the bureaucracy.

We live here now and we consider ourselves Americans. All my nephews and nieces were born here and they consider themselves completely American. We want to see this country succeed just as much as any other true American.

To me, while we as a country argue back and forth about illegal immigration, I think we are losing site of the fact that whoever that immigrates to this country we would want them to contribute in a positive way. Yes? I know it is not politically correct for me to say this, but not all immigrants should be treated equally. Some will carry their own weight while some will just be a drain on the system.

So, what is wrong with merit based immigration system?
Nothing's wrong with it. So why aren't we fast-tracking all the Iraqis and Afghans who helped us?

Old 03-28-2017, 04:10 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The US immigration system is insanely biased in favor of third-worlders and against people from cultured, civilized nations.
Not a coincidence. I just did a post in another thread why that is.

The native Europeans and their American counterparts are marked for extinction.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:11 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Hispanic used to vote Republicans until The demonization by Republicans and the fact that they got their own ethnic group, even in Texas the Tejanos overwhelmingly vote Republican. Blacks used to vote Republicans too until the Republicans party decided they wanted racism as their main standpoint back in the 50's. In fact Muslim Americans overwhelmingly voted Republicans until after 9/11. This is because many Republicans wanted to deport or murder them and would do so. It got so bad that Indians and other Asian groups perceived to be Muslim got attacked also. Now guess who doesn't vote for Republicans anymore either. They managed to successfully drive out their huge amounts of immigrant voters, since the 50's.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:15 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
What, this is insane. Low skilled immigrants legal or not overwhelmingly vote Democrat. This is not up for debate. It's common knowledge.

Nope that's bunk lots of people want to come to the US. A lot of countries in Europe are small they may be 1st world but they still have limited job opportunities.

The US turns them away..wheres the libbies on that? Why do they only care about immigrants from the third world? Imagine if Einstein couldn't have come to the US. The US is missing out on geniuses from all over the world that would love to come to the US.

Lies, lies, and more lies. Most immigrants right now are from Latin America. Very few are black or asian.

Black and asian immigrants are forced out and have no chance.

Where's the libbies at? Where's the protests? Why are they against people from Africa and countries in Asia?

The person you are replying to has an agenda so lies and race card pulling comes natural. I don't know many anti-illegals who are for mass deportations as he is erroneously claiming. Most of us want them to self-deport by removing the incentives for them to remain here and just enforce the laws on the books as they make themselves known.

Mexicans and other Latinos enjoy the highest quotas by far for legal immigration into our country and that doesn't even count their numerous family reunifications on our soil. I personally don't know of any blacks here illegally but I'm sure there are some just like there are some whites here illegally. They all need to leave.

We are supposedly racists for pointing out the "fact" that most illegals here are Mexicans. I believe people like him have ethnic ties to Mexicans so they love to play the victim card for them and spin the truth.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

I double that. What ridiculous claims!

Old 03-28-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Ummm, Wanderlust, it's not the (D)s who lose their collective minds every time some lawmaker even says
" comprehensive immigration reform "

That's because it isn't CIR, it's amnesty plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies