Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:50 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,541,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It's about time.

I really don't get why people don't see that this is a huge problem.

It's not like he's Bush Jr and visiting a secluded ranch on ACRES of land. He's right there, in the thick of it, shutting down highways every weekend going and coming.

It's incredibly rude.

Your last sentence tells the story. Rude is his thing. Was anyone expecting another "Silent Cal" Coolidge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 05:57 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,641,075 times
Trump could make up for it by staging some klan rallies there. The local businesses could set up Kool aid stands.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:24 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,675,123 times
Quote:
I feel like he needs a helipad over at Mar-a-Lago and some security near it so he can just land there on Marine One.

Not sure where he'd have to pick it up to fly in, but it seems more logical than this motorcade, businesses blocked off, and extra police presence every weekend.

Is that resort even large enough for this? I mean, I don't know how many golf courses it has, but we all have to make sacrifices.
We all have to make sacrifices? So, how about he sacrifices and stays at the WH, or goes to camp David instead of making a whole lot of people miserable and affecting their livelihood? Makes me glad I'm not rich, and live pretty much in the middle of nowhere. He is sooooo unlikely to come anywheres near me.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:36 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,131,629 times
Quote:
I feel like he needs a helipad over at Mar-a-Lago and some security near it so he can just land there on Marine One.

Not sure where he'd have to pick it up to fly in, but it seems more logical than this motorcade, businesses blocked off, and extra police presence every weekend.

Is that resort even large enough for this? I mean, I don't know how many golf courses it has, but we all have to make sacrifices.
I'm pretty sure I read that it was announced that the helipad at Mar-A-Lago was complete so that he could start using Marine One.

Using it would solve the problem of the motorcade block... but it still doesn't do anything for Lantana Airport (for instance) that is located within the mandatory "No Fly Zone" that is put in place while he is in town. Regardless of how he gets to Mar-A-Lago, they literally cannot operate while he is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
We all have to make sacrifices? So, how about he sacrifices and stays at the WH, or goes to camp David instead of making a whole lot of people miserable and affecting their livelihood? Makes me glad I'm not rich, and live pretty much in the middle of nowhere. He is sooooo unlikely to come anywheres near me.
Well, yeah. It would be preferred if he stuck with places like the WH or Camp David. Maybe he needs to check out Andrew AFB for his golfing?

While I don't live in the middle of Nowheresviile, at least my stomping grounds would be able to handle weekly trips from the president. Things ran quite smoothly when he flew here to speak at one of the shipyards. But, hey, that's the benefit of living near the world's largest naval base and having a "master jet base" only about 20 miles from each other.

I mean. My city was able to handle a navy jet crashing into an apartment complex with zero casualties. So that's a plus.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-28-2017 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 06:47 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,541,402 times
The guy in the video is clearly anti-Trump, so I did what I usually do when I see something I think may be biased: I looked it up.

Yes, this is "a thing." There are lots of articles out there about the negative impact these frequent visits are having on the local economy. I don't blame people for being angry.

I'm not really surprised by this. There seems to be a growing body of evidence that Trump cares little how much his travels, and those of his family, cost taxpayers, or how they may negatively impact people living in the locales he frequents.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:52 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,461,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I'm pretty sure I read that it was announced that the helipad at Mar-A-Lago was complete so that he could start using Marine One.

Using it would solve the problem of the motorcade block... but it still doesn't do anything for Lantana Airport (for instance) that is located within the mandatory "No Fly Zone" that is put in place while he is in town. Regardless of how he gets to Mar-A-Lago, they literally cannot operate while he is there.

Well, yeah. It would be preferred if he stuck with places like the WH or Camp David. Maybe he needs to check out Andrew AFB for his golfing?

While I don't live in the middle of Nowheresviile, at least my stomping grounds would be able to handle weekly trips from the president. Things ran quite smoothly when he flew here to speak at one of the shipyards. But, hey, that's the benefit of living near the world's largest naval base and having a "master jet base" only about 20 miles from each other.

I mean. My city was able to handle a navy jet crashing into an apartment complex with zero casualties. So that's a plus.
You are correct that a helipad has been built but what I read is ther would still be some streets and a bridge blockaded

Old 03-28-2017, 06:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,505,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Agreed.

Regardless of how much one likes or dislikes Trump, the fact that local businesses are getting shafted so hard is appalling. Either provisions need to be made so that the people living and working in the immediate area don't have their small businesses completely destroyed... OR he needs to reduce the amount of time he spends down there.
The " season" is almost over so it's possible the problem will resolve itself till post hurricane season.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:32 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,131,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The " season" is almost over so it's possible the problem will resolve itself till post hurricane season.
Your assumption is based on the premise that not a single local business is affected enough to shut its doors permanently. They're already being hit fairly hard and trying to raise hell about it. The Lantana Airport actually lost out on a $400,000 contract because of the frequency and spontaneous nature of Trump's getaways to Mar-A-Lago. That's revenue that won't just "resolve" itself.

Even then, no. It's not a problem will just "resolve" itself until post-hurricane season. Local businesses are seeing substantial losses in income. Not just the ones directly affected by the blockades and no-fly restrictions, either; it's a domino effect.

Less income being generated across the board means less tax revenue collected. Less tax revenue means the local government will have to cut funding to services or raise tax rates.

Even if every single business survived the status quo until hurricane season, how likely will it be that they'll earn enough during those few months to counter-balance the current losses as well as make enough revenue to get through Round Two?

Old 03-29-2017, 12:14 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,600,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
They can commiserate with the people in NYC and CA that suffered the same issues all the time from Obama's constant fundraising visits.
I know, it did seem that fundraising was his main job especially in his second term.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:34 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,008,510 times
Once again, empty headed liberals give heed to a handful of equally empty headed whiners and bellyachers, and their whole world crashes. Someone complains and it's a deal breaker.

Liberals: Deal with it. Your ugly schtick is boring and just plain stupid, and it's not going to help you win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies