U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:15 AM

15,078 posts, read 19,718,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
i belive in the second amendment, it gives me the RIGHT to own guns.dems dont.
While I agree that all law-abiding citizens have the right to bear arms, I do point out that so do lots and LOTS of Democrats. Lots of Southern Democrats are gun-owners themselves, and even Howard "Yeea-agh" Dean supports Second Amendment rights. This is not one of those hard-and-fast Dem/Rep issues. This is an issue where you very much need to know your candidate before voting.

Quote:
I belive in the death penalty, it should be used more often. dems dont
Again. Not a clear Dem/Rep division on this one. I think the death penalty is unnecessary and immoral in 99.9999% of cases.

Quote:
I do not believe in abortions all the time.dems think its ok to KILL a baby at partial birth. any time.
Again, not all Dems believe that, but I do agree that the party as a whole and especially the party leadership have given their loyalty to unrestricted abortion on demand. It's a policy that is destructive for both women and children, and I wish the Democrats would get their soul back on this issue. That being said, I think most Republicans give this issue lip service rather than attention. I'm not convinced that the Rep. leadership is at all interested in doing anything about this other than the occasional token gesture to ensure the pro-life vote.

Quote:
anybody but hillary!
Heh. I'm not a big fan of either of the Clintons by any stretch, but anybody but Hillary is a bit much. I can think of worse candidates pretty easily, both on the Republican and Democratic side of the fence.

But hey, if you're a Republican, you ought to be praying that Hillary gets the Presidential nomination in '08. If that happens, you can be sure of one thing: Four more years of a Republican in the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 10:47 AM

752 posts, read 593,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuban View Post
Politics has been dirty and corrupt since the beginning of times. I wish we lived in that perfect world that you have in mind. Really I do!! Not trying to be sarcastic. The reality of it all is that this will never happen in this life. At the same time we can not give up that dream and hope for a better world. This means we are going to need to work harder to research before we vote. Then pray that the person can hold up to it.
Hi,

The pessimist in me agrees with you. But to resign ourselves to the fact that things are the way they are simply ensures they'll always stay that way.

One thing that should happen, if only one thing, is to have political lobbyists banned from the halls of Congress. They are the ultimate corrupting influence in our government. Eliminating them won't eliminate corruption, but my gosh what a difference it would make!

Old 12-06-2006, 10:58 AM

752 posts, read 593,861 times
Quote:
I choose to lean conservative on most of my views, so i dont vote Democratic. afew reasons are:
i belive in the second amendment, it gives me the RIGHT to own guns.dems dont.
I belive in the death penalty, it should be used more often. dems dont
I do not believe in abortions all the time.dems think its ok to KILL a baby at partial birth. any time.
anybody but hillary! the list goes on. please note i do want a real viable third party, just hasnt happened.
Hi,

Just a comment on 2nd Amendment rights. Certainly the Bill of Rights gives the right to keep and bear arms, but that right isn't boundaryless. In fact, every right granted to you by the Constitution is given some limits.

As a US citizen....

1. You have the right to vote. But first you have to register.
2. You have the right to free speech, unless you commit slander, threat or sedition.
3. You have the right to assemble, unless the police tell you to move along.
4. You have the right to a speedy trial, unless the judge's caseload is too big.

So yes you have the right to own a gun, so how does registering to own one restrict your rights any more than the others? Unless you're a criminal, is this a problem?

Or instead if this is fundamentally a constitutional issue about exercising rights without limit, do you also complain when people have to register to vote? Or do you complain when the police don't let those smelly hippies protest the President when he drives by? Or do you worry about the criminals who sit for extended periods in prison waiting for their trial?

Really?

Old 12-06-2006, 11:12 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,147,600 times
Um Dems put almost all firearms into the ban catagory. They have already tried to ban all centerfire riffles. That would include the 30-06 and the 270. 2 of the most used hunting riffles there are. And as far as registering my riffles. What I own is NOT the feds BUSINESS !!!!! I can wait a week for them to make sure I'm not a wako, but beyond that It sucks to be them.

Dems are way to light on crime. You go to jail to be punished not pampered. They give them free cable and education, while the working class is given the finger in comparison. Criminals are just that and should be treated as such.

A womans body is her own, But anyone under 18 should have to get parental consent. The dems don't agree with this. they would let a 3 year old get an abortion, on itself.

But hey, if you're a Republican, you ought to be praying that Hillary gets the Presidential nomination in '08. If that happens, you can be sure of one thing: Four more years of a Republican in the White House.[/quote]

This is true we would go out and vote in groves. The GOP would SWEEP just like the Dems just did only stronger.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
So yes you have the right to own a gun, so how does registering to own one restrict your rights any more than the others? Unless you're a criminal, is this a problem?
Nope. I have no problem with gun registration.

Firearm deaths and injuries in this country result from two basic causes: crime and accidents.

Requiring all gun owners to pass safety and licensing courses (much as we do with vehicles) would help to reduce accidental gun deaths and injuries. It would also make us better trained to take on the crooks.

I oppose banning sporting weapons and even handguns. But I’ve got no problem requiring better training and licensing. We require it for vehicles (as we should). We should require it for firearms.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Um Dems put almost all firearms into the ban catagory.
Some Dems do, yes. But so do some Republicans. If you are going to paint with such a broad brush, at least be honest enough to paint both parties.

Quote:
Dems are way to light on crime. You go to jail to be punished not pampered. They give them free cable and education, while the working class is given the finger in comparison. Criminals are just that and should be treated as such.
Thatís a very short-sighted view.

Iíd be the first to insist that our penal system needs a vast overhaul and reform, but you have to consider that unless you are just going to kill íem all or lock íem up forever, these inmates are going to back out again. Do we really want a system that does nothing to reform them, to try to make them productive members of society? Thatís just foolish and self-destructive.

Quote:
A womans body is her own,
Sure. But when it comes to pregnancy, there are at least two bodies in consideration. Why do the rights of one trump the rights of the other? Thatís not equality by any definition.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:08 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Ok I dont know what party I am in anymore. I dont like gun ad think few should be allowed to have them, I believe in a womans right to choose in some not all circumstances, I cant stand Hillary, I believe in the death penalty, I want to be tougher on crime and illegals, I am for stem cell research. republican, Dem or independent?

Old 12-06-2006, 01:58 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,230,141 times
I don't agree 100% with any party. My closest choice is Libertartian. Less government more freedom, then we can work this mess out.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:53 PM

112 posts, read 51,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nope. I have no problem with gun registration.

Firearm deaths and injuries in this country result from two basic causes: crime and accidents.

Requiring all gun owners to pass safety and licensing courses (much as we do with vehicles) would help to reduce accidental gun deaths and injuries. It would also make us better trained to take on the crooks.

I oppose banning sporting weapons and even handguns. But I’ve got no problem requiring better training and licensing. We require it for vehicles (as we should). We should require it for firearms.
I am happy to see that you are pro gun! I am not all there on the registration or licensing and I will tell you why. More government!! The best way to reduce fire arm death's is the death penalty. An eye for an eye.

Last edited by thecuban; 12-06-2006 at 06:42 PM..

Old 12-06-2006, 06:19 PM

112 posts, read 51,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Some Dems do, yes. But so do some Republicans. If you are going to paint with such a broad brush, at least be honest enough to paint both parties.

Thatís a very short-sighted view.

Iíd be the first to insist that our penal system needs a vast overhaul and reform, but you have to consider that unless you are just going to kill íem all or lock íem up forever, these inmates are going to back out again. Do we really want a system that does nothing to reform them, to try to make them productive members of society? Thatís just foolish and self-destructive.

Sure. But when it comes to pregnancy, there are at least two bodies in consideration. Why do the rights of one trump the rights of the other? Thatís not equality by any definition.

Mark S, the reason for my thread was to point out something obvious to me that is happening to Republican party. Its being high jacked by those that don't belong. It's happening to the Democratic party as well. I am almost sure that nhyrnut is talking about the core of each party. Republicans have a strong core belief. Being pro gun rights and against abortion is part of there core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or