Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 06:25 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,856 times

Advertisements

I have never heard of a Republican that is for a gun ban as stricked as the Dems. And I would not vote for one either.

I beleive that if we make incarseration harsh enough, they wont reoffend when released. And if they do let them rot there.

this goes with any 1 persons view. Everyone see's it diffrent. I personally think it is up to the woman she has to live with what she does. But there should be some common sence restricions put in place. Things like minors and incest should have laws that say parental consent so mom and dad will get a wake up call. and incest so we know who needs serious mental help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuban View Post
Mark S, the reason for my thread was to point out something obvious to me that is happening to Republican party. Its being high jacked by those that don't belong. It's happening to the Democratic party as well. I am almost sure that nhyrnut is talking about the core of each party. Republicans have a strong core belief. Being pro gun rights and against abortion is part of there core.
Yes thank you. Sometimes I just can't put in the right words. lol

Old 12-07-2006, 03:20 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,973 times
could one of you progressive thinkers tell me how gun registration stops a criminal from using a gun illegally? or how you can trace it back to the criminal, since most are stolen from somebody else. for the record, when an honest person buys a gun they fill out plenty of paperwork at the dealer, it goes into records. thats registration by any other name. atf can find out who bought it, who bought it the next time it was sold by another dealer. funny the paperwork ends when its stolen or sold to some gangbanger hoodlum. get the criminal to register his and prove it and i wil too! sorry, touchy subject.
for those that think its wrong to use the death penalty, let your grand daughter get raped or murdered and tell me that.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:36 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,973 times
Default not all dems

thats a nice general term to use if you're not the type of person to make a stand on a subject, next time the democratic party gets together check out what they list as there core beliefs, or rules that they expect the party faithful to follow. no religion at all in goverment, abortion at all times, alternative family values, gun control, (not just registration)no military strenght. (clintons hate the military, well documented), redistribution of wealth, etc. im not always happy with the reps, wish there was a third party for real, so i do research and go from there. i hate the "lesser of two evils " way to vote. could care less about southern dems, there not in my state. talking to much, time to goto bed.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:59 AM

986 posts, read 2,808,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
thats a nice general term to use if you're not the type of person to make a stand on a subject, next time the democratic party gets together check out what they list as there core beliefs, or rules that they expect the party faithful to follow. no religion at all in goverment, abortion at all times, alternative family values, gun control, (not just registration)no military strenght. (clintons hate the military, well documented), redistribution of wealth, etc. im not always happy with the reps, wish there was a third party for real, so i do research and go from there. i hate the "lesser of two evils " way to vote. could care less about southern dems, there not in my state. talking to much, time to goto bed.
This is so much the way I feel. I am really not happy with Bush these days for so may reasons and I voted for him twice. I just don't think putting the DEMS in control could be the answer!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:02 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
could one of you progressive thinkers tell me how gun registration stops a criminal from using a gun illegally?
It doesn't. But better training and licensing would help to decrease the number of accidental gun deaths and injuries. Not by criminals, but by law-abiding gun owners.

We require drivers to receive training and licensing to legally own and operate an automobile. I don't see what the big deal is in doing the same thing with firearms.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:07 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
I beleive that if we make incarseration harsh enough, they wont reoffend when released.
Have you ever actually been to prison? Unless you are Martha Stewart, it's hardly a spring vacation.

Our penal system now does little but harden criminals. That isn't what we want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
I personally think it is up to the woman she has to live with what she does.
But again: You are only considering one person in your thinking. Why? There are at least two persons at stake here: Mother and child. What kind of sense does it make to rob one of all rights? I'm all for doing more to help women in crisis pregnancies (unlike most righties), but we need to work for solutions that protect BOTH mother and child.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:32 AM

753 posts, read 758,984 times
Quote:
could one of you progressive thinkers tell me how gun registration stops a criminal from using a gun illegally?

I'm not a progressive, but I'll field this one.

Registration doesn't stop gun crime, but like automobile registration it makes the crime more traceable. You register your car, keep it locked when you leave it and report it stolen if someone takes it.

If you buy a gun, you're responsible for it. It's your personal responsibility to keep your gun secure. If you sell it, it's your responsibility to register the transfer. If it gets stolen, it's your responsibility to report it stolen. If a gun registered to you is used in a crime, it's your responsibility for letting that gun get out of your control.

So many gun owners harp about personal responsibility...why not take it upon yourself to exercise it?

Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post

Registration stops gun crime like automobile registration stops vehicular crime. You register your car, keep it locked when you leave it and report it stolen if someone takes it.

If you buy a gun, you're responsible for it. It's your personal responsibility to keep your gun secure. If you sell it, it's your responsibility to register the transfer. If it gets stolen, it's your responsibility to report it stolen. If a gun registered to you is used in a crime, it's your responsibility for letting that gun get out of your control.

So many gun owners harp about personal responsibility...why not take it upon yourself to exercise it?

I am with ya here for sure. I hate guns, do not see the point. I grew up with guns, was taught how to use them right. neighbors daughter was killed by boys playing with daddys gun, he was taught how to load ,unload and shoot, also took safety measures, but thought it was *cool* to play and show his friends, his *skills*

Old 12-07-2006, 11:07 AM

Smile I will always own

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post

Registration doesn't stop gun crime, but like automobile registration it makes the crime more traceable. You register your car, keep it locked when you leave it and report it stolen if someone takes it.

Yes, But the liberals want it so even if it is stolen, they still want you to go to jail for it. And anyone who makes them , they want to hold responsable for all actions with the firearm. We don't need more restrictions on firearms we need to enforce the laws that are already there. Anyone commiting a crime with a gun, should get a automatic 25 years no plea bargin. Registering isn't a solution. Incarseratining the criminals is. How ever, I do beleive that you should be required a safty course before you can own 1. I'll bet the crime rate in KENNESAW , GA is very low along with the town that followed in their footsteps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies