Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Following Religions Compatible with Western Culture???
Buddhism is NOT Compatible 1 0.99%
Hinduism is NOT Compatible 0 0%
Islam is NOT Compatible 60 59.41%
All Three Religions are NOT Compatible 12 11.88%
All Three Religions ARE Compatible 28 27.72%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:47 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Islam teachings are NOT compatible because I know of no Americans that want their heads chopped off ,driven over,blown up or shot at.
learn-- a little -Pleaseeeeeeeee
Islam is not that--- extremism like Christians allowing snakes bites- or other dumb shyte-or worshipping cows or bugs- killing el chickens to drink the blood- that is not western culture - but this is a county of freedom with rules- against extremism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 01:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Buddhism and Hinduism are perfectly compatible. While Islam is not compatible many individual Muslims are perfectly compatible.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:07 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
In very rare cases, after due process of law, with the rights of all concerned parties carefully observed, yes. It is the American way. And comparing capital punishment in America with barbaric IS killings... that's the liberal way.
So let's call capital punishment what it is: the Christian punishment referred to as "an eye for an eye." Christianity is only supposedly superior because it's the religion the majority of Americans believe in. Its teachings are just as barbaric as Islam. Buddhism and Hinduism are both tame in conparison to the other two.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:30 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
I have Muslim friends, and some coworkers, who pose no problem at all. There is a cultural factor aside from the Islamic religion and this matters a lot. For example, Lebanese Muslims live very differently than Palestinian Muslims. Female muslims from UAE live no differently than women from NYC.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:50 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
The next wave of terrorists aren't going to be Arabic, which is an area of the world that was rife with problems before the fall of the Ottoman Empire and was certainly made worse by our bumbling military efforts.

The United States is largely Christian, but so is most of Central and South America. They're also nations rich in resources and suffering from severe poverty. They've suffered as much from the blinding stupidity of our military and CIA-based foreign policy as has much of the Arabian Peninsula.

Large groups of unemployed youth who possess a lot of training in foreign policy (drugs), domestic policy (gangs, graft, and money-laundering), and what I am going to call "efficient" criminal justice, require remarkably little persuasion to be radicalized.

I can only wonder if it is by design that our media seems to behave as though everything south of the US is nothing but ocean.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:34 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I have Muslim friends, and some coworkers, who pose no problem at all. There is a cultural factor aside from the Islamic religion and this matters a lot. For example, Lebanese Muslims live very differently than Palestinian Muslims. Female muslims from UAE live no differently than women from NYC.

Wherever Islam is a majority - regardless of the accompanying cultural component - there are poor outcomes for everybody.

Islam always bends a society towards theocracy. It's never about the *individual* Muslim, who may or may not adopt all tenants of a religion, just as not all Christians live by the book. And not all Jews live by the Talmud. It's just a simple fact that Muslim societies end up being really horrible for anyone who isn't Muslim, who isn't male, who isn't straight. They really ARE oppressive and violent patriarchies of the type western leftists like to think the US and Europe are. It's why nothing of value has come out of the Muslim world for hundreds of years. Absolutely inexcusable in today's world of open information and rapid communication that they are still in a dark ages.

It's patently absurd to think religion doesn't inform culture, and that some religions result in less or more conservative or progressive outcomes. Islam is NOT a progressive religion.

And really, isn't it just a really dumb religion when you look at it objectively? Especially if you study the history of it and study the life of Mohammed. Honestly how any one of intelligence can follow a religion started by a guy with the personal history of Mohammed is really a mystery. An absolute moral failing. He really is like one step from Hitler. There is nothing ISIS does today that Mohammed and his merry men didn't do themselves.

So no, Islam is not compatible with the west. And we should be encouraging people to ABANDON Islam. We should be trying to rinse the Koran out of the Muslim...secularize them. Radically separate them from the faith. Ideally, to atheism or agnosticism. But, shifting of beliefs to a more benign religion (for those who need "spiritual fulfillment" is also preferable to living in a majority-Muslim society).

We should NOT be embracing it, and progressive people should tolerate it as far as we tolerate any other garbage philosophy because we have to on account of the 1st Amendment.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:38 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So let's call capital punishment what it is: the Christian punishment referred to as "an eye for an eye." Christianity is only supposedly superior because it's the religion the majority of Americans believe in. Its teachings are just as barbaric as Islam. Buddhism and Hinduism are both tame in conparison to the other two.

Christianity in the west has a tradition of skepticism and reformation forged through hundreds of years of blood, debate and trial. Christianity has been beaten back into a corner. It's no mistake that the best places in the world for minorities in the entire world are post-Christian (but still Christian tradition) western societies.

Islam has not. And it's the height of arrogance to suggest that it can be reformed in the same way that Christianity did --- especially when useful idiots in the west jump to its defense and shield it from criticism with screams of RAAAAACISM! and ISLAAAAAMAPHOOOOBIA!!!.

Islam is not a part of the west. If it becomes a part of the west, progressives will wish for the good old days when the biggest thing they had to worry about were Christian bakers who don't want to bake cakes for gays.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Wherever Islam is a majority - regardless of the accompanying cultural component - there are poor outcomes for everybody.

--

It's patently absurd to think religion doesn't inform culture, and that some religions result in less or more conservative or progressive outcomes. Islam is NOT a progressive religion.

--

We should NOT be embracing it, and progressive people should tolerate it as far as we tolerate any other garbage philosophy because we have to on account of the 1st Amendment.
No one's saying religion doesn't inform culture. I am saying culture makes a difference to how one follows their religion. The Muslims I know in the US share almost no lifestyle choices as the ones that might be living in Syria, save they worship the same book - and even the degree of that will make a huge difference. I find it hard to say these people aren't "compatible" with the west - they have normal jobs, socialize with everyone, follow the law, and heck even use Tinder. The only difference between me and those people is I don't worship the same God.

Also, some Muslim-majority places ain't so bad to live in. I've known quite a few non-Muslims who lived in Dubai and Qatar and had no bad outcomes to speak of... unless you mean the "mo' money mo' problems" kind.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:16 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
You forgot the most important religion, atheism, NOT compatible with American culture.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
You forgot the most important religion, atheism, NOT compatible with American culture.
Actually, Crass Materialism and Militarism (and medical corporatism) IS a large part of American culture and involve prayer to the same (prosperity preaching, "just" wars, etc.) religious entities as some mainstream cults.

Atheism is a discussion it itself because it is covers a broad swath all the way from MORE spiritual (humanist, equality, equal rights) than common religions to a crass materialism.

But, largely, IMHO it represents that poor creature who will not succumb to being one of the crowd...due to reason, independence and thoughts. What could be more Americans?

1. I will go along with superstition from thousands of years past, believing in miracles and other impossibilities so that I feel "accepted" by a community....

or....

2. The heck with that! I think for myself and the idea of spacemen or devils below the earth, eternal life and rising from the dead are crazy........

I'd say #2 are MORE American in thought....that is, if one actually reads history and how it was told from Jefferson, Franklin, etc. to other European countries. Even man a King - no King (high above or down here) to bow to.

Oh, and by any real definition about 1/3 attend services weekly - and many of those are coerced. I'm be surprised if 25% of thinking adult Americans believe in miracles or the divinity of "the priest".

Speaking of such, some of my DNA just showed up in this particular line involving a very "heavy" (religious/respected) religious leader from back in Europe. We have to do a bit more digging to see how close I am to being "special".....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies