Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:04 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Of course not only get my news on twitter and youtube.
I find it amusing there are people out there that would criticizing using alternative media sources.

In reality, a kid documenting an entire incident with his smart phone provides an actual representation of an event and is newsworthy.

It doesn't have to come from Lester Holt, or Geraldo Rivera, to be verified.

Actually it's quite sad that people feel they have to get their news only from these sources. It shows how easily manipulated they are, especially with the now documented media bias.

For those that continue to follow the status quo, the joke is on them. The internet allows other avenues for true journalism to take place, which for anyone that has any intelligence that knows history will confirm that is a GOOD thing.

It's time for people to start thinking for themselves. Those in Hitler's Germany believed the mass media also. Time to look in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 09:15 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I find it amusing there are people out there that would criticizing using alternative media sources.

In reality, a kid documenting an entire incident with his smart phone provides an actual representation of an event and is newsworthy.

It doesn't have to come from Lester Holt, or Geraldo Rivera, to be verified.

Actually it's quite sad that people feel they have to get their news only from these sources. It shows how easily manipulated they are, especially with the now documented media bias.

For those that continue to follow the status quo, the joke is on them. The internet allows other avenues for true journalism to take place, which for anyone that has any intelligence that knows history will confirm that is a GOOD thing.

It's time for people to start thinking for themselves. Those in Hitler's Germany believed the mass media also. Time to look in the mirror.
There have been documented accounts of Twitter users manipulating an incident, most famously with BLM. Plenty of Youtube news sources heavily editorialize. Plenty of those claim to be uncovering the truth.

I agree; an iphone video of an incident is valuable. But let's not pretend that Youtube and Twitter are stellar sources of information.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:18 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What about the left wingers?
Reality based. We value truth over ideology.

The truth has a liberal bias.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:20 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
The funny thing is, this video actually agrees with you. It points out that a decline in journalist integrity has lead to an ever present blending of editorial and journalism, which has made the media more "liberal." Most journalists are politically aligned with the Democratic party meaning most opinion piece is going to be liberal. This causes conservatives to gravitate towards media geared towards them, which is even more biased and often less concerned with journalistic standards as a whole. This all from the video, produced by a conservative outlet.
Thanks for that, I didn't watch the video. I know who Prager is and if he narrates it it might be worth watching. He seems to be a reality based conservative.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
If they are talking they are lying...Watch Al Jazeera.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:44 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
I don't trust the media. This past election season, I had to turn off the news for my daughter's sanity (dad was deployed) so reading or hearing it online and research was the only way I was able to get the news. I could listen a speech that was given and then the media would put their personal opinions into it or twist it around to be something it wasn't. Just like ban vs suspension.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:56 AM

540 posts, read 362,746 times
I think all news media is skewed to a certain extent.

I do like Al Jazeera and BBC though.

Those are the two I watch the most

Old 03-30-2017, 09:59 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,756 times
Quote:
There have been documented accounts of Twitter users manipulating an incident, most famously with BLM. Plenty of Youtube news sources heavily editorialize. Plenty of those claim to be uncovering the truth.

I agree; an iphone video of an incident is valuable. But let's not pretend that Youtube and Twitter are stellar sources of information.
I was joking I hope people are not going to Twitter and YouTube for news, which may explain alot on here if they do. I don't understand people not trusting the media all of a sudden after this election like the media all of a sudden decided to be fake this election???

Old 03-30-2017, 10:04 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:

Sure you have bad news coming out these outlets. You just need to be able to recognize it. That's the way it's supposed to work. Use critical thinking skills.

Really it is not that hard to see who is giving you straight information. The kid documenting the riots out in Berkeley just had a cell phone running the entire time. It was pretty apparent how everything went down. He just uploaded it to youtube. His information is no less valid than if it's presented by Al Roker, and if you believe that than I don't know what to say to you.

If you don't see the value of obtaining news sources outside of a few mass media outlets that have a history with providing misleading information than you are easily manipulated.

Just as they were in Germany during WWII.

What we learn from History is that humanity tends to not learn from it. It is not a strong characteristic to be easily mislead and naive.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:10 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
Absolutely not. Even on the rare occasions they keep their flapping gums quiet on their opinions, their expressions and just plain snark show. It's ugly.

I don't have cable so I can only give my opinion on network people. I can't think of a single one I trust. I can't think of a single one I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies