Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
You're projecting. The abortion debate actually has nothing to do with any religious views.
Yes it does. Religious zealots think that the mythical soul is created at conception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 10:33 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I have serious respect for pro-lifers who are supporters of programs designed to help make birth control more accessible, as well as programs that help support struggling families and children.

Extra kudos for the ones who support programs designed to help low-income women with the financial burden of the pregnancy itself. Even if one adopts out the child, there's still a wage loss due to the recovery period after childbirth.
I pretty much dismiss pro-lifers who do not support birth control programs, programs for struggling families, or those who support the death penalty but are anti-abortion.

Because support for programs and condemnation of the death penalty while condemning abortion tells me those people really do think every life is sacred.

If they are anti-abortion, pro-death penalty, and against helping out those in need, I view them as pro-birth types and they just don't like the idea of abortion because their minister told them that God would punish them or some such mess.

I have no time for that sort of cockeyed logic.

I do think that we'll never see everyone agree on abortion.

I also think that we'll eventually come to a point that we either get the birth control issue sorted to the point that unwanted pregnancies largely cease to exist or we'll get to a point where people realize that we do not all agree when life begins and the people who disagree with abortion just won't have any.

Because people have been aborting pregnancies since ancient times. It's not like we all turned into heathens here in the modern era and we hate the unborn.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:37 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I have serious respect for pro-lifers who are supporters of programs designed to help make birth control more accessible, as well as programs that help support struggling families and children.

Extra kudos for the ones who support programs designed to help low-income women with the financial burden of the pregnancy itself. Even if one adopts out the child, there's still a wage loss due to the recovery period after childbirth.
Pro lifers are religious and birth control is out of the question...at least in the catholic faith.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:48 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Pro lifers are religious and birth control is out of the question...at least in the catholic faith.
I am a Catholic by birth and I am still religious, yet I am Pro Choice, I am not as rare as some my believe. Just saying.............

Old 03-30-2017, 11:01 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Not all pro-lifers are religious. Not all religious persons are pro-lifer. Not all religious persons are against birth control. Not all people against birth control are religious.

Making hasty generalizations and denigrating comments about the "other side" regarding such a polarizing topic does nothing to promote working together to find a solution that both sides would be agreeable to.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:03 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I am a Catholic by birth and I am still religious, yet I am Pro Choice, I am not as rare as some my believe. Just saying.............
I am catholic as well and believe in pro choice but the priests don't. And the catholic religion is against birth control.

Last edited by natalie469; 03-30-2017 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 03-30-2017, 11:07 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I also think that we'll eventually come to a point that we either get the birth control issue sorted to the point that unwanted pregnancies largely cease to exist or we'll get to a point where people realize that we do not all agree when life begins and the people who disagree with abortion just won't have any.
I'm kind of hoping for both.

Though, as a female, especially regarding the birth control nonsense. Legit there are people who don't understand that a person on hormonal birth control has zero way to "verify" that the birth control is actually working. Or that the effective percentage isn't actually an indicator of effectiveness for an individual, but more of a "percentage of women who should not get pregnant".

So the only way to tell if you're part of that percentage who would not be protected by a specific birth control... is when you get pregnant while taking it. And that, to me, sounds like a really old-fashioned way to tell if something isn't working.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:08 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Hmmm. Being anti-abortion but pro-death penalty seems contradictory, but to me it is equally contradictory to be pro-abortion but anti-death penalty. There have been about 60 million abortions since Roe v Wade. 60 million.

Eventually, the unborn we be recognized as having the same constitutional rights as the born.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:12 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Hmmm. Being anti-abortion but pro-death penalty seems contradictory, but to me it is equally contradictory to be pro-abortion but anti-death penalty. There have been about 60 million abortions since Roe v Wade. 60 million.

Eventually, the unborn we be recognized as having the same constitutional rights as the born.
The difference is an unborn child has done nothing wrong but a murderer has taken someone else's life without cause.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:17 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Because it's the clash of 2 basic rights...the right to life versus the right to exterminate what is growing in your body. In my mind, the right to life trumps the right to determine what to do with what is growing in your body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies