Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 08:07 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's not that expensive to put a new box in. (maybe in NYC) My house was built in the 1940's. Slot was there.
The standard for homes built in the 1940s was for a panel to have 60A-80A total current. If you have one of those, and added a 30A-50A outlet for a Tesla, then I recommend calling in a licensed electrician to look it over. It stands a good chance of catching on fire. There is absolutely no way for something like that to be to code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 08:10 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Specifically, who has denied that the energy comes from somewhere? If there has been no one, are we really being honest?

P.S. The regenerative energy that also powers my car does come from nowhere though.
All energy comes from somewhere.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
I'm not sure if there is a better method of disposing of gasoline than burning it in a modern vehicle.

It might not make any sense to move to everyone driving an electric vehicle.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:11 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Every bit of this idiotic push toward renewable energy is a scam designed to redistribute wealth from 1st world nations to 3rd world nation leaders. Along the way gullible idiots are sucked into the concept of utopian energy and how it will be cheaper and not harm the environment, when that nonsense requires the gullible idiot to be completely ignorant of the facts regarding grid scale energy production. Even single family dwelling scale energy production cannot be done for less than what a electric utility can generate, transmit and distribute to that same dwelling at retail costs.

This is all complete insanity... but if that's what you want to believe and spout on about... have at it. You'll just get added to my /ignore list except for the moderators out there whom we mere mortals are not allowed to /ignore.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:11 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Speaking of which, are you wanting to end all petroleum use or do you know what will be done with all that gasoline?
I have no idea. My old car is never going to run on anything other than gas so I hope it is around as long as I am. I support the continued development of alternative energy sources. Period.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
One thing that irritates me is the emphasis on more energy efficient vehicles that encourages the production and sale of electrics, hybrids etc.

Then .... when people invest in all these energy efficient vehicles, the government then complains about budget shortfalls because people are not buying as much gas and the government doesn't collect as much gas tax.

Now, government increases the tax on gas to make up for the shortfall.

The end user just can not get a break.
Politicians are morons. You won't get many to argue against that point here.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:13 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
One thing that irritates me is the emphasis on more energy efficient vehicles that encourages the production and sale of electrics, hybrids etc.

Then .... when people invest in all these energy efficient vehicles, the government then complains about budget shortfalls because people are not buying as much gas and the government doesn't collect as much gas tax.

Now, government increases the tax on gas to make up for the shortfall.

The end user just can not get a break.

CAFE standards, yet another way for the government to manipulate the free market, economically harm EVERYONE.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The standard for homes built in the 1940s was for a panel to have 60A-80A total current. If you have one of those, and added a 30A-50A outlet for a Tesla, then I recommend calling in a licensed electrician to look it over. It stands a good chance of catching on fire. There is absolutely no way for something like that to be to code.
I don't have a Tesla.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
All energy comes from somewhere.
Regenerative energy does indeed come from sources that have been routinely wasted. It's simply being captured now. Heat friction happens everytime you stop. Capture it or not there aren't additional costs involved. Everytime I brake, I am adding energy back into the battery.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:18 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
I don't have a Tesla.
Ahh OK.

Then what I said stands. In the vast majority of homes, it is not a trivial matter to add a dedicated charging port for a Tesla due to the very high currents required. Expect it to cost several 1000 dollars. Without it, there is really no practical way to keep it charged for daily use.

Even then, it will take between 6 to 7 hours to bring it back to full charge. That is a very long time to go without a car on a daily basis. Better have a gasoline powered vehicle on standby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies