Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 12:11 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
Oh, so how many "hispanic people" do you actually know?
Are you serious? They're actually quite common.

What's more, I have deep roots in the South West (in Texas) and my family who grew up around Mexicans and other Spanish-Americans before the civil rights movement remembers when they were white - they were not minorities then.

The people that we are calling "hispanic" today arbitrarily became a minority group in the 1980s. That was made up. Before then, they had always been white.

Quote:
So no we do not consider ourselves white.
Statistics and all of recorded history say otherwise. Most Cubans, Mexicans, and Puerto Ricans self-identify as white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 12:20 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
to **** off white folk

Old 04-04-2017, 12:31 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
to **** off white folk
lol, yep

Old 04-04-2017, 12:37 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Are you serious? They're actually quite common.

What's more, I have deep roots in the South West (in Texas) and my family who grew up around Mexicans and other Spanish-Americans before the civil rights movement remembers when they were white - they were not minorities then.

The people that we are calling "hispanic" today arbitrarily became a minority group in the 1980s. That was made up. Before then, they had always been white.

Statistics and all of recorded history say otherwise. Most Cubans, Mexicans, and Puerto Ricans self-identify as white.
http://latinousa.org/wp-content/uplo...ns-600x380.png

'No Mexicans Allowed:' School Segregation in the Southwest - Latino USA

I think this says differently...

Old 04-04-2017, 12:39 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I cringe when anyone says "non-hispanic" whites. Like there's a difference between "hispanic" whites and "non-hispanic" whites.

Everything about the so-called "hispanic" group is made up. Everything

It's a demographic that didn't even exist before the last 35 years. They completely made it up out of thin air by artificially grouping a bunch of unrelated people.

It's amazing that they're actually trying to keep medical data and draw ridiculous conclusions about an ethnic group that started out as a purely political fabrication. There's no such thing as a "hispanic".

Of course there is such a thing as a non-Hispanic white. They could be of German, Anglo, etc. culturally. Hispanic is a culture so those who are of that culture would be plain ole Hispanic whites or mixed race Hispanics.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:42 PM

They were incorrect. They were confused between nationality and race. Both the Spanish and Mexicans can be white or mixed race. Spanish and Mexican are simply nationalities not races.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is and no they are not.

There is a difference, the health problems that affect whites, do not necessarily affect hispanics.
So before the Spanish came, they were Indians, Aztecs, Mayans...so why do native americans get a box to check and we don't?

By everyone's definition here, everyone is white except black people, and we know that is not true. I wouldn't call an asian person white, nor would i call a native american person white or a middle eastern person for that matter.

Oh, so how many "hispanic people" do you actually know? I am going to assume not that many. I live around, with, and have many hispanic friends. If I told them what you said, the answers would range from, "no, to hell no, to wth are you crazy?"

These are the racial catagories used on the census. However, since then Hispanic has been added also. I never understood why because Hispanic is not a race. They use the Hispanic category for other reasons of which another poster already explained.

https://census.gov/topics/population/race/about.html

Old 04-04-2017, 01:35 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210

Oh, so how many "hispanic people" do you actually know? I am going to assume not that many. I live around, with, and have many hispanic friends. If I told them what you said, the answers would range from, "no, to hell no, to wth are you crazy?"

So you're Hispanic, huh? You know what that tells me about you? NOTHING. Like someone saying they are European descent. Although European actually denotes a race (AKA, white)... just like African denotes a race (AKA, black).

WHERE is your Hispanic heritage from? Where are your "friends" from? If they are Chicanos, chances are they aren't 100% white. The original SW families from Spain, however, WOULD be white Hispanics. Argentinian? Probably going to be white 85% of them self-identify as such. Dominicans? Black. Puerto Ricans? All over the map. Peruvian? Heavy heavy concentration of Indians.

People in actual Latin America Do.Not.Identify.Latino.Or.Hispanic.As.A.Race.

Period.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:32 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
to **** off white folk
Quote:
lol, yep
Jose Torres and Kayla Norton, a couple from Douglas County, Georgia, wept in court as a judge handed down their sentences for a July 2015 incident in which Torres, Norton, and many others associated with the pro-confederate flag group Respect the Flag, drove a convoy of trucks onto a black family’s lawn and threatened them with guns and racial slurs—all while the family was attempting to celebrate an eight-year-old’s birthday.

Couple Sobs Like Babies After They're Sentenced for Terrorizing a Black Child's Birthday

Like Jose Torres, this white supremacist fool?

Old 04-04-2017, 02:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
So you're Hispanic, huh? You know what that tells me about you? NOTHING. Like someone saying they are European descent. Although European actually denotes a race (AKA, white)... just like African denotes a race (AKA, black).

WHERE is your Hispanic heritage from? Where are your "friends" from? If they are Chicanos, chances are they aren't 100% white. The original SW families from Spain, however, WOULD be white Hispanics. Argentinian? Probably going to be white 85% of them self-identify as such. Dominicans? Black. Puerto Ricans? All over the map. Peruvian? Heavy heavy concentration of Indians.

People in actual Latin America Do.Not.Identify.Latino.Or.Hispanic.As.A.Race.

Period.
How do you know? You're not Latino as you keep reminding us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies