Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 08:44 PM

25,420 posts, read 17,095,857 times

Advertisements

Henceforth the Senate majority party will get to pick the members of the supreme court.

No problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 08:58 PM

31,927 posts, read 14,928,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer's chickens just came home to roost.

I am shocked that McCain, Graham, Collins, Murkowski, etc. developed a spine finally.

Is there any doubt the Dems would have done the same had the roles been reversed? No, because the Democrats are the architects of the nuclear option. I say go nuclear on legislation, too, since the loony left has made it clear they have n interest in governing.
Democrats did that because Republicans refused to to approve judges in the lower courts by Obama. If I am not mistaken I think it was about 70 or so. Republicans said from day one that they would obstruct Obama so something had to be done. Judges in lower courts are gone when a new party takes over anyway. We are talking about a supreme court nominee who is there for life. One party should not decide that. As a matter of fact, why can't we the people have a say. What is going on is a struggle within the 2 party system and see who can out best each other...and we are just on the sidelines. They don't care about the country, they don't care about us, they care about their power and how they can get reelected. Are some of us so blind that they can't see this. This not what our fore fathers would want.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:03 PM

16,064 posts, read 10,631,609 times
I suspect that Gorsuch won't be any worse than Scalia and he might even have rational reasons for his decisions. I doubt that Clarence Thomas will be able to hide behind him.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,894,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not true. Or at best a real generalization that means nothing.
Libertarians, et al tend to be business-worshipping ideologues as opposed to the more reality-based folks:

Getting Big Money Out of Politics and Restoring Democracy

Quote:
...Six years ago, as a result of the disastrous Citizens United Supreme Court decision, by a 5-to-4 vote, the U.S. Supreme Court essentially said to the wealthiest people in this country: you already own much of the American economy. Now, we are going to give you the opportunity to purchase the U.S. Government, the White House, the U.S. Senate, the U.S. House, Governors’ seats, legislatures, and State judicial branches as well.

The Citizens United decision hinges on the absurd notion that money is speech, corporations are people, and giving huge piles of undisclosed cash to politicians in exchange for access and influence does not constitute corruption.

During the 2016 campaign cycle, billions of dollars from the wealthiest people in this country flooded the political process. Super PACs – a direct outgrowth of the Citizens United decision – are enabling the wealthiest people and the largest corporations in this country to contribute unlimited amounts of money to campaigns. ...
https://berniesanders.com/issues/money-in-politics/

Old 04-08-2017, 04:21 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,475,084 times
Democrats absolutely hate being reminded of this. Very bad week for them.

https://twitter.com/SenatorReid/stat...15847190921216

Old 04-08-2017, 04:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,013,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Democrats did that because Republicans refused to to approve judges in the lower courts by Obama. If I am not mistaken I think it was about 70 or so. Republicans said from day one that they would obstruct Obama so something had to be done. Judges in lower courts are gone when a new party takes over anyway.
No they aren't. Where do ideas like this come from?

Old 04-08-2017, 04:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,013,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Libertarians, et al tend to be business-worshipping ideologues as opposed to the more reality-based folks:

It was the one area I completely disagreed with Sanders on.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:34 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,092,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Democrats did that because Republicans refused to to approve judges in the lower courts by Obama. If I am not mistaken I think it was about 70 or so. Republicans said from day one that they would obstruct Obama so something had to be done. Judges in lower courts are gone when a new party takes over anyway. We are talking about a supreme court nominee who is there for life. One party should not decide that. As a matter of fact, why can't we the people have a say. What is going on is a struggle within the 2 party system and see who can out best each other...and we are just on the sidelines. They don't care about the country, they don't care about us, they care about their power and how they can get reelected. Are some of us so blind that they can't see this. This not what our fore fathers would want.
Whatever. Our forefathers didn't envision Maoists infiltrating our political system either.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:42 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,022,829 times
Lightbulb How your senator voted?

Here is the breakdown. 3 democrats voted for Gorsuch. Wonder if those who didn't Vote for him even know why they didn't " like" enough to vote for Gorsuch.

Gorsuch Vote Tracker | Fox News

Old 04-08-2017, 06:33 AM

57,000 posts, read 25,968,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post

The great textualist went off the rails with that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies