Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:51 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

How much did Bill Clinton pay out to quiet his accusers?

How much has Bill O'Reilly paid out to silence his accusers?

I bet O'Reilly wins -- way to go Bill -- lololol

sorry conservative O'Reilly's present situation makes Clinton look like someone not even in the game.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 05:55 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Because CNN can't get as much from the cable operators as Fox. Ratings = leverage with Comcast, TWC, Fios, Dish Network, etc.

Fox has 3X to 4X the daily viewers as CNN.

Fox has far bigger draw than CNN so Fox can demand a higher subscription rate.

but... it isn't 3X to 4X... in fact, it isn't even 3X. Sometimes it isn't even 2X. Don't be fooled by the CNN link - the source of the data is Neilsen.

https://cnnpressroom.files.wordpress...ws-q1-2017.png

Yeah, I'm sure that advertising revenue is really a lot less important that subscription rate.

So, fox can afford to lose all those big dollar advertisers because the get all that big money from the cable providers.

If they have a talk show host - and that is actually all that o'reilly is - that loses them money from advertising, they will dump him. I mean, the irony of it - losing the 'dry mouth' Biotin ad.

“The O’Reilly Factor,” which draws almost four million viewers a night, generated more than $446 million in advertising revenue from 2014 through 2016, according to the research firm Kantar Media."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/b...-fox.html?_r=0

Old 04-04-2017, 05:55 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't subscribe to cable TV. I'm not sure why anyone would these days.

But from what I've seen of O'Reilly, I'm not that impressed. But he does seem to be #1 in ratings. If he did something to shoot himself in the foot, that's on him. Fox won't pull him until it hits their revenue, then he's gone.

But here's the thing. Because Fox has the ratings they do, they make money from cable subscriptions. So everyone of you who pays a cable bill, is supporting O'Reilly whether you watch him or not. They make more money from this, than they do selling adverts.

So chew on that next time you pay your TWC/Spectrum, Comcast, DTV, etc bill.
there are good and cheap over the top options, if you want to watch entertainment on tv affordably, and with ease.

You are correct that paying for cable supports News Corp, but not as much as you think. They put out of lot of programing and it is not cheap, particularly now that Amazon, Netflix Hulu etc are driving up prices for content.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:57 PM

Absolutely right...it isn't just the ads -- it's in the cable rights.

But that's a small portion. The big big bucks are the ads. O'Reilly is the main draw -- or was.

And because I tend to bge more snowflakish than not -- I don't mind my cable rights fees that I CHOOSE to pay going a little to Fox and a little to CNN....because I'm liberal like that.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:01 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
And, it appears to be up to 15 now... much more and he'll really be in trouble.

Advertisers Flee Fox's Bill O'Reilly Show Amid Sexual Harassment Lawsuits - NBC News

Old 04-04-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
And, it appears to be up to 15 now... much more and he'll really be in trouble.

Advertisers Flee Fox's Bill O'Reilly Show Amid Sexual Harassment Lawsuits - NBC News
I believe that it is a domino effect. Once one major corporation decides it isn't worth the impact on their image -- they seem to fall quickly afterwards.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:12 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
I hate to say it, but these high-profile sexual harassment suits get immediate side eye from me. I'm not saying he didn't do it, but I'm not crying to foul just because someone says it happened. I'm curious to see the outcome of this.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
I hate to say it, but these high-profile sexual harassment suits get immediate side eye from me. I'm not saying he didn't do it, but I'm not crying to foul just because someone says it happened. I'm curious to see the outcome of this.
I'm with you on that until...

some of these women aren't 'flash in the pan'......types. They are serious journalists and their stories are consistent....and they get a great deal of respect from their co-workers -- and 13 million total is an awful lot of money to pay out.

At some point you have to think that your reputation is more than the money. What is he hiding that he can't afford to go to court?

Some one could try to accuse my husband of a whole bunch of stuff and the one way I know for sure he would be guilty is for him to say he is protecting his family by not fighting these terrible charges.

WHAT? .......what is there that we need to be protected from that could be worse than the charges

Get it?

Old 04-04-2017, 06:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I believe that it is a domino effect. Once one major corporation decides it isn't worth the impact on their image -- they seem to fall quickly afterwards.
And you know what they say, the bigger they are, the harder they fall

Old 04-04-2017, 06:18 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Strange how these allegations are newsworthy when conservatives are involved.

Yet liberals respond to 'allegations' made against one of their own.... by attacking the victim.

Check yer Funk&Wagnalls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies