Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:57 AM

8,619 posts, read 10,146,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I miss being able to have intelligent discussions on issues. We are all becoming so childish -- yeah me too.

I always will go low if someone else goes low...it's my downfall.

I like it when someone who has an opposing view tries to explain to me why their view is their choice....what thought process they had. But the old -- all leftys or righties are idiots opening line tells me right away that there is no intelligence and not to bother debating -- so I just will attack. Guilty.

See -- this question and our responses have made me realize I was falling into that rabbit hole of not being reasonable, intelligent etc....I will try not to be so personally critical.

But this is a great place to vent and get all the ickies out so real life can be pleasant -- lol.
Don't beat yourself up though. I think many here including myself have been guilty of doing the same thing on occasion. We have become a polarized society thanks to the ways the media on both sides manipulates news and facts to fit a specific narrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 07:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Don't beat yourself up though. I think many here including myself have been guilty of doing the same thing on occasion. We have become a polarized society thanks to the ways the media on both sides manipulates news and facts to fit a specific narrative.
I'm not beating myself up but I do realize I'm a little rougher here than I normally would be...and I get frustrated by posts or questions that are ridiculous and really do nothing to better the dialogue we need to be having.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:08 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That's really too bad. I have friends IRL of all political stripes. Our politics don't have to eclipse our friendships and I'm glad they don't. I'd miss out on some really great people.
I'm with you, Magritte. Maybe one of the benefits of living in a purple state is that it is hard to live in a bubble. I try to be respectful in real life and online. I'm sure I don't always succeed, but I think I do more often than not.

I've noticed a lot of people here say they don't talk politics in real life. Maybe that is the problem. If people avoid discussing politics in real life where they get instant feedback from a person who is standing right in front of them and whom they will see in the grocery store, at their children's school, church, or what have you, then they are missing an opportunity to build the skills required for carrying on a potentially prickly discussion in a respectful way.

Last edited by AminWi; 04-05-2017 at 07:42 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
There seems to be so much hate, insulting and nastiness on these boards of people from other parties. My question is, do many of you use this forum to mask your cowardice in telling this to people to their face?

Democrats/Liberals if you know someone from work, a friend, or family member voted for Trump do you call them "Trumptards" to their face?

Conservatives/Republicans if you know someone from work, a friend, or family member that voted for Clinton do you call them "Snowflake" to their face?

I find the name calling on here very cowardly, so seeing if people are like this in real-life too.
God, I hope people don't behave that way in real life. The anonymity of this forum allows people to blow off steam. To vent and say what they're thinking at that moment. If people were this combative in their everyday life, then everyone would be miserable.

There are plenty of people that are this combative all the time, but probably the majority just want peaceful relationships in real life and don't want to discuss politics. I like a good debate, so I have a couple of people who like to talk about it too. They can take it and dish it out, but we're overall pretty polite and don't take things too seriously. I care about politics, but not nearly as much as I care about the people in my life. And I respect a difference of opinion.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:26 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
If I find someone who voted for Trump, I just don't get into any sort of conversation with them--there probably isn't very much that we would have in common anyway except that we both want illegals gone.

I do have some relatives who voted for him, very nice young moms, and I speak to them. I think they were led astray by their mean spirited, money loving lawyer father. They, themselves, wouldn't want to take health care away from people, destroy the environment, support a corrupt person who lies so that he can win. Their dad is like that though.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:27 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
No I just laugh at them like I do here, liberals are generally too stupid to know they are stupid and not just in politics.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:31 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You don't have to be liberal to approve cigarette taxes. I'm conservative and think they should he hefty. Ditto for alcohol taxes. When your decisions result in increased health care costs and increased need for law enforcement to keep drunks off the road I think you should pay for that. It's called accountability. It's a conservative belief.
I have 2 or 3 drinks with dinner on Saturday nights. I don't have any drinks the rest of the week. Since my decision is not increasing health care costs or need for law enforcement , can I get an exemption from the tax?

Also, if this is true, should we add a new tax to foods that have over a certain amount of sugar, or fat, or total calories?

Old 04-05-2017, 07:35 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
It's strange but as soon as I know a famous singer or actor loves Hillary, I just can't stomach them anymore....
Really? Why can't people just respect the fact that famous people may have different opinions and they have a right to express them in a supposedly free country?

If you only limit yourself to entertainers who are conservative, then you are seriously limiting yourself. Most people in the arts are liberal. That doesn't take away from their talent.

I hate seeing all these comments from conservatives on here saying they refuse to interact with liberals. What a small world they want to live in. I like that people have different opinions. If everyone was the same the world would be a pretty boring place.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:58 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
There seems to be so much hate, insulting and nastiness on these boards of people from other parties. My question is, do many of you use this forum to mask your cowardice in telling this to people to their face?

Democrats/Liberals if you know someone from work, a friend, or family member voted for Trump do you call them "Trumptards" to their face?

Conservatives/Republicans if you know someone from work, a friend, or family member that voted for Clinton do you call them "Snowflake" to their face?

I find the name calling on here very cowardly, so seeing if people are like this in real-life too.
I would never call anyone a name for any reason and I keep my mouth shut about politics and religion. I have served under every president from Jimmy Carter to Barak Obama and found a way to cope with any disagreement I had. So President Trump doesn't bother me any more than they did.

But I get mighty irritated and am past tired, that when I am talking with my sister about planting a garden or something and in the middle of a sentence she will go off on her hatred of Trump (her word - hate) or something of that ilk. I have asked politely that she cease to infuse politics and hatred of Trump in general conversations. She continues to weave some tangled path in the conversation to bring it up. I have told her I will not listen or discuss.

So I get off the phone when she starts that inconsiderate behavior.

It seems to have gotten worse since she retired and joined a group of her lady friends with their political activities. I thinking it was "_____ invisible" group. I think one influences another more or less. I can't recall her being into "hate" so much in the past although she was always a liberal.

Truth in lending: I was invited to lunch with a group of ladies who were celebrating Trump's victory. Their behavior was over the top boisterous and inconsiderate to the other patrons.

So maybe the common denominator is obvious, I don't like to be subjected to anyone's personal opinion

Old 04-05-2017, 08:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If I find someone who voted for Trump, I just don't get into any sort of conversation with them--there probably isn't very much that we would have in common anyway except that we both want illegals gone.

I do have some relatives who voted for him, very nice young moms, and I speak to them. I think they were led astray by their mean spirited, money loving lawyer father. They, themselves, wouldn't want to take health care away from people, destroy the environment, support a corrupt person who lies so that he can win. Their dad is like that though.
Yeah.... I avoid Trump voters unless I have to interact with them for business or professional reasons. I just don't have any interest in carrying on a personal relationship with anyone who'd support his alleged aims for this country.

That's all. I'm not mean to them or anything.

I have some friends who voted for him as a lesser of two evils choice and they expressed remorse at doing it and are now not too happy with him. I can talk to them, because I appreciate the way they're holding him accountable.

The ones who aren't really are bizarre to me. I have a friend who voted for him because her husband did and she's trying to be a good Christian wife.

No interest in talking with her now, not really. Her husband is a jerk and I have him blocked on social media.

Police record and all. LOL.

Yep. Good, white, "Christian" who has spent more time in custody than most of the heathen atheists and agnostics I know.

I have no time for such people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies