Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:22 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,983,953 times

Advertisements

Go tell that to her family and husband I think they would disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 06:31 PM

7,057 posts, read 8,887,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Sounds like it's time to put in an express lane. Oh, and bring back hanging. You can re-use a rope.
Exactly, if you did something so heinous that you were sentenced to death then you should not be entitled to 25 years of appealing the sentence.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,206,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Go tell that to her family and husband I think they would disagree.
What can I say to such a non sequitur argument?

Your assertion was that rehabilitation doesn't work. I've provided proof that it does. Is it 100%? No. But its got damned better results than the current punishment model.

So, if you'd care to actually debate the merits and faults of prison rehabilitation I'm all ears. If you are just going to fall back on statements like the above, don't bother.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What can I say to such a non sequitur argument?

Your assertion was that rehabilitation doesn't work. I've provided proof that it does. Is it 100%? No. But its got damned better results than the current punishment model.

So, if you'd care to actually debate the merits and faults of prison rehabilitation I'm all ears. If you are just going to fall back on statements like the above, don't bother.
Why is it that people want to kill the most innocent of us all in the womb with abortion but want to spare the lives of those that are most vile and unrepentant in society ?
Only in the liberal minds set that if you give people a hands up with taxpayer funded housing ,food,education that some how down the future that they are going to get a job and fend for themselves or become model citizens.
If you had to walk the corridors of the cell blocks and had urine,feces thrown in your face or attacked by inmates when you are trying to help educate or teach them a trade skill is getting results after more than 50 years of liberal prison rehabilitation why is there more prisoners in this country today than ever before?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,206,088 times
Quote:
Why is it that people want to kill the most innocent of us all in the womb with abortion but want to spare the lives of those that are most vile and unrepentant in society ?
Another non sequitur

Quote:
Only in the liberal minds set that if you give people a hands up with taxpayer funded housing ,food,education that some how down the future that they are going to get a job and fend for themselves or become model citizens.
What does this have to do with the topic? Although I will say that model works pretty well in other countries...

Quote:
If you had to walk the corridors of the cell blocks and had urine,feces thrown in your face or attacked by inmates when you are trying to help educate or teach them a trade skill is getting results after more than 50 years of liberal prison rehabilitation why is there more prisoners in this country today than ever before?

Simple. Rehabilitation in prisons has been on a steady decline since the 1960s and the rate of incarceration for drug offenses have been on a sharp incline since the 1970s. Which you would have known had you read any of those links.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Another non sequitur

What does this have to do with the topic? Although I will say that model works pretty well in other countries...

Simple. Rehabilitation in prisons has been on a steady decline since the 1960s and the rate of incarceration for drug offenses have been on a sharp incline since the 1970s. Which you would have known had you read any of those links.
Right whatever carry on hope that someday no one you love is killed by a repeat offender ... that is all.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,773,941 times
Their sins have found them out. Three of them anyway.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:44 AM

77,950 posts, read 60,105,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
While I'm a death penalty proponent I also recognize the costs involved, which will be why I believe we'll eventually get rid of it. At $50K a year to keep someone in prison he,or she, will be locked up for 60 years for the typical minimum cost of $3M to carry out an execution.

Having said that, without a death penalty option what do we do to a LWOP prisoner who kills again while in prison? He already has the maximum penalty.
Those arguments fail to account for the trial and appeals cost savings where people facing the death penalty plea deal to life no-parole etc.

Not to mention various other social benefits like case closure.

I feel that each individual should get life-no parole as an option and only get the DP if they turn down the deal.

The Green River Killer is the posterchild for the effectiveness of this approach.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:43 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,773,941 times
Those are just social studies articles. They're self-serving and meaningless.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:47 PM

19,965 posts, read 8,868,980 times
California taxpayers have spent more than 2 million dollars to keep Charles Manson alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies