Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:06 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,758,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Is this some kind of a joke? There's no victim, so no crime!
Just hide the body......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 06:19 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Companies are making very lifelike sex dolls and selling them for thousands of dollars. Should we also charge someone with a crime if they came home and raped one of those dolls? OMG! The naysayers could jump up and down and claim if a person was willing to do that to one of those very realistic dolls, then surely they could become so desensitized and do the same thing in reality.
There was a thread here a couple weeks ago about lifelike child sex dolls and that was in fact the most common opinion expressed - they should be banned because they would lead to molestation of real children.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:38 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There was a thread here a couple weeks ago about lifelike child sex dolls and that was in fact the most common opinion expressed - they should be banned because they would lead to molestation of real children.
I saw the link but never looked at it because the link said they were dolls that replicated youth. I see it no different than if it were a Barbie Doll, a Tonka truck or a couch pillow that some perv may hump, imagining it's a >insert fantasy sexual desire here<. It isn't reality.

If that is what it takes for people to not do harm to others even though their warped mind takes them to those places, more power to them. Both sides win this way. They can engage in their wildest fantasy and humanity can remain safe.

The truth is no virtual reality is stronger than the human mind. Should we criminally prosecute people for their very thoughts? Of course not... but once again, just like D&D in the 70s and when video games became fairly realistic, we have naysayers screaming to end the evil that is the newest altered reality, claiming it will influence people in reality.

(Child screams) Oh no! There's a boogieman (plant standing in the corner) that's gonna kill us! Run for your lives! (Another child cries out) Shoot it!

Pfft.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:04 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,582,011 times
Reminds me of the people who blamed Dungeons and Dragons for devil worship or hair metal for their insane child committing suicide.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:06 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Is this some kind of a joke? There's no victim, so no crime!
If a person has their feelings hurt due to it, wouldn't that person be a victim?

Old 04-05-2017, 07:54 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If a person has their feelings hurt due to it, wouldn't that person be a victim?
I don't think hurt feelings constitute a victim in Law.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:55 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,105,948 times
You going to lock them up in a virtual jail? LOL

Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,451 times
No, that is silly.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:33 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
You going to lock them up in a virtual jail? LOL
It isn't hard to imagine a future where that would be considered as serious a punishment as going to real jail is now. If you were used to spending all of your waking hours in a virtual universe where you could go anywhere and do anything, any time you wanted, it would be quite a downer to get put in virtual jail with nothing to do but lift virtual weights and watch virtual TV.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
I don't get the premise. If its VR, isn't it not real?

I cringe when I see how some kids play things like Minecraft or The Sims. They put the characters in terrible situations causing them to die. I know its not real, but its unsettling. Probably my old age talking here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies