Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,068,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Millennials have been working (supposedly) and voting for 20 years. They voted for Obama who exploded the debt to $20 trillion, they weren't "handed" the mess, they were a major cause of it.
I'm a Millennial. I'm 34, I've had a job and/or been a full-time student since I was 15. I'm a US military veteran, I'm educated, I work hard, and I own a home. Oh, and I'm a liberal but I love guns and own multiple assault rifles.

You have any other Millennial stereotypes for me to destroy?

Old 04-07-2017, 09:56 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,871,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And in years past, there simply was no treatment. Women who couldn't get pregnant were considered mentally ill.
??? Where did that come from? The other poster insinuated that (in)fertility is a non-existent non-issue. BTW a growing number of women think that IVF and other infertility techniques can help them if they intentionally delay starting their families. Maybe. But usually not. Infertility science is meant to help women of normal child rearing years, who for a variety of reasons, cannot conceive. Clinics will take 'older' women's money, and offer to help them out, but the results pretty much track the fertility curve of women who aren't using medical assistance.

This is not meant to discourage women so much as counter advice by 'well meaning' sources that encourage women to delay and then they find themselves stuck between equally expensive and equally unpalatable options. Women need to start agitating as a bloc for social reforms that support their choices with or without a supportive mate, AND women need to start agitating as a bloc for social reforms that decriminalize early access to effective birth control education and methods, so there can be a better ratio between women that want and can care for children and women who do not and cannot.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:07 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,871,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Millennials have been working (supposedly) and voting for 20 years. They voted for Obama who exploded the debt to $20 trillion, they weren't "handed" the mess, they were a major cause of it.
Hmnmnmn. A "cut spending" Obama detractor I see. And Trump would be what, exactly? A five year old can see that spending has increased since the Inauguration. Exploded? You haven't seen anything yet. Funny thing about partisanship. The exact same action is perceived differently depending on who is doing the kibitzing. The debt was never, and is never, the reason for "the mess". The mess is a result of income/wealth inequality. A rational income/wealth ratio between the various economic classes would not be perceived as "a mess" even if our debt was double what it is now. Japan?

Old 04-07-2017, 10:10 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,531,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Yes, I prefer this to young people feeling intense pressure to get married.

I'm in my 40s, and even 20 years ago a lot of women were made to feel like their self worth was tied up in whether they got married. It's not for everyone.
When I was in my mid-twenties, I met a wonderful young woman of 22. She was exceptional in every way, except one. She was into that stage of desperation about finding a man to marry. So much so, that she actually looked to me, as though i had potential in that. I'm sure she never understood why I made a quick exit and never returned.

Three years later in my job, I got an assignment to go to her place and interview her. I felt very apprehensive about this, but was able to call a favor and got someone else to do the job. i hadn't consciously realized how averse I was, to a woman with such intent, until then.

Over the last ten years, there have been about six couples in their twenties, in my near-neighborhood. None were married and they all made sure I knew this, as soon as any acquaintance was established. I think there's an awareness among younger people, that passing as a married couple, can be a setup for being liable for common-law marriage responsibilities. Making sure that all neighbors know that their partners have "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" status, makes that less likely, unless children are involved. This is the new reality for younger people, as what was once free or very cheap, now costs dearly. If the whole world shifted to this way of life, the population bomb would be defused. The birthrate would plummet in such a social order.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 04-07-2017 at 10:22 AM..

Old 04-07-2017, 10:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,616,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I just thought of this. There has only been one post on this thread by the OP.
Pretty typical.

He will post a provacative topic. If he gets a lot of people agreeing with him, he'll continue to participate. If not - not.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:37 AM

72,805 posts, read 62,121,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Pretty typical.

He will post a provacative topic. If he gets a lot of people agreeing with him, he'll continue to participate. If not - not.
And so far, far more people are in opposition to the OP's opinion.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:43 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
??? Where did that come from? The other poster insinuated that (in)fertility is a non-existent non-issue. BTW a growing number of women think that IVF and other infertility techniques can help them if they intentionally delay starting their families. Maybe. But usually not. Infertility science is meant to help women of normal child rearing years, who for a variety of reasons, cannot conceive. Clinics will take 'older' women's money, and offer to help them out, but the results pretty much track the fertility curve of women who aren't using medical assistance.

This is not meant to discourage women so much as counter advice by 'well meaning' sources that encourage women to delay and then they find themselves stuck between equally expensive and equally unpalatable options. Women need to start agitating as a bloc for social reforms that support their choices with or without a supportive mate, AND women need to start agitating as a bloc for social reforms that decriminalize early access to effective birth control education and methods, so there can be a better ratio between women that want and can care for children and women who do not and cannot.
It comes from personal experience. Even now, people will tell women who are naive enough to tell someone they're trying unsuccessfully to get pregnant, "You just need to relax"; "It's all in your head", etc. There have been many articles over the years about how women who couldn't get pregnant really didn't want to get pregnant, some by infertility doctors! Mind you, these are usually people who had no problem getting pregnant and can't relate. It used to be worse. Now that more problems are treatable, it doesn't seem to matter so much. I'd like to see your data on this "growing number of women" who think that about IVF, also the results of these "older" women vs doing nothing.

Here's a recent article. Note #1: https://www.todaysparent.com/getting...-get-pregnant/

As far as discouraging women, something tells me you are not the one to be giving advice.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:52 AM

19,378 posts, read 12,026,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

Over the last ten years, there have been about six couples in their twenties, in my near-neighborhood. None were married and they all made sure I knew this, as soon as any acquaintance was established. I think there's an awareness among younger people, that passing as a married couple, can be a setup for being liable for common-law marriage responsibilities. Making sure that all neighbors know that their partners have "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" status, makes that less likely, unless children are involved. This is the new reality for younger people, as what was once free or very cheap, now costs dearly. If the whole world shifted to this way of life, the population bomb would be defused. The birthrate would plummet in such a social order.

What was free or cheap and when?

Old 04-07-2017, 10:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,731,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Does this mean that millennials are a bunch of spoiled brats!!!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lling-marriage
College pushes off marriage and has since the 1960's. College debt pushes off marriage, new home buying and car buying you. Low wages hurts things dramatically. Things aren't all about being spoiled and loose morals OP. Too many women on dating aps/sites want people with their "**** together" meaning a car, their own apartment, few bills, etc. The economy don't necessarily allow for that.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:05 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,315,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I'm a Millennial. I'm 34, I've had a job and/or been a full-time student since I was 15. I'm a US military veteran, I'm educated, I work hard, and I own a home. Oh, and I'm a liberal but I love guns and own multiple assault rifles.

You have any other Millennial stereotypes for me to destroy?

Only that while you may be a liberal, the majority of liberal (progressive) politicians and organized liberals think you shouldn't own them and have no need to own such guns and will vote to ban you from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies