Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 01:43 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

This stems from a Wall St Journal report, to which I do not have access.

Dec. 29, 2015 - U.S. Spy Net on Israel Snares Congress

This article revealed that the Obama administration used the NSA to cast a wide net of surveillance around not just Israeli officials and diplomats, but American lawmakers who were friendly towards Israel as well as Jewish-American groups.

In this case, the theory is that surveillance was used as leverage to get legislators to vote for the Iran deal.

--------------------------------

The author of the link below wrote an article on Dec. 31, 2015 entitled WHY THE WHITE HOUSE WANTED CONGRESS TO THINK IT WAS BEING SPIED ON BY THE NSA. He was trying to figure out why the NSA was still spying on Israel months after the Iran Deal took place, and he referenced the WSJ article above.

On Tuesday The Wall Street Journal reported that the Obama Administration tasked the National Security Agency to spy on Israel. An even more explosive revelation in the Journal story is that in its “targeting of Israeli leaders and officials,” the NSA “also swept up the contents of some of their private conversations with U.S. lawmakers and American-Jewish groups.”

--------------------------------

Since the Susan Rice surveillance issue has blown up, I guess he recalled what went on back then, and now it all makes sense.

DID THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION’S ABUSE OF FOREIGN-INTELLIGENCE COLLECTION START BEFORE TRUMP?

“At some point, the administration weaponized the NSA’s legitimate monitoring of communications of foreign officials to stay one step ahead of domestic political opponents,” says a pro-Israel political operative who was deeply involved in the day-to-day fight over the Iran Deal. “The NSA’s collections of foreigners became a means of gathering real-time intelligence on Americans engaged in perfectly legitimate political activism—activism, due to the nature of the issue, that naturally involved conversations with foreigners. We began to notice the White House was responding immediately, sometimes within 24 hours, to specific conversations we were having. At first, we thought it was a coincidence being amplified by our own paranoia. After a while, it simply became our working assumption that we were being spied on.”

So in this case, Israel was the excuse used to spy on Americans. Now it doesn't say anyone was unmasked, but the intent is dubious at best.

During the long and contentious lead-up to the Iran Deal the Israeli ambassador was regularly briefing senior officials in Jerusalem, including the prime minister, about the situation, including his meetings with American lawmakers and Jewish community leaders. The Obama administration would be less interested in what the Israelis were doing than in the actions of those who actually had the ability to block the deal—namely, Senate and House members.

If anyone has access to the WSJ article - please give it a read.

Seems like the Obama Administration took advantage of a loophole to spy on Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
It's practically absolute power. Total corruption

Old 04-05-2017, 02:31 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times

Seems like the Obama Administration took advantage of a loophole to spy on Americans.

I have access, read it then and re-read it today - along with another WSJ article that further describes the NSA/TeamObama spy methods. They were sweeping up Netanyahu's emails/calls even before he was elected Prime Minister, simply because he was in the opposition Party of Obama's choice for Israeli PM.

The President of Mexico and the PM of Germany both found out that TeamObama was collecting their phone calls and emails ..... neither was happy about it. TeamObama has a long history of this spy stuff, Susan Rice has a long history of LIES.

Why should we believe that the data collection on the Trump Campaign and Transisition was all just "an accident/incidental"..... dozens of times with a spreadsheet?

Bernie Sanders was a greater threat (so they believed) to Clinton than Trump was - none of them really believed that Trump had any chance at all.

I wonder what they collected on Bernie. I wonder how Bernie supporters will react if/when they find out that the US Spy Corporation was collecting data on them also. I bet we have lots more to learn.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

I have access, read it then and re-read it today - along with another WSJ article that further describes the NSA/TeamObama spy methods. They were sweeping up Netanyahu's emails/calls even before he was elected Prime Minister, simply because he was in the opposition Party of Obama's choice for Israeli PM.

The President of Mexico and the PM of Germany both found out that TeamObama was collecting their phone calls and emails ..... neither was happy about it. TeamObama has a long history of this spy stuff, Susan Rice has a long history of LIES.

Why should we believe that the data collection on the Trump Campaign and Transisition was all just "an accident/incidental"..... dozens of times with a spreadsheet?

Bernie Sanders was a greater threat (so they believed) to Clinton than Trump was - none of them really believed that Trump had any chance at all.

I wonder what they collected on Bernie. I wonder how Bernie supporters will react if/when they find out that the US Spy Corporation was collecting data on them also. I bet we have lots more to learn.
Okay.

I wonder what they collected on Bernie, too.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:02 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
This article is better, and it details how the Obama administration became comfortable with spying on it's enemies.

The Obama Administration Allegedly Spied on Pro-Israel Activists. Did They Do the Same to Trump? – Tablet Magazine

Old 04-05-2017, 03:03 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I'd wager it started during the 2012 elections with Romney. Worked so well they kept on for the next 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies