Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 07:01 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times

Advertisements

In the wake of Trump, I think we need to take a serious look at a new amendment to the Constitution. I am sure Democrats would support this and Republicans would as well under a normal administration (they would oppose it under Trump).

A) Any candidate running for President of the United States must have either held a public office or served in the military at some point in their life prior to running for President. That public office can be a national level, state level, or municipal level office, but any candidate should have served at some point in their past. Any branch of military service would also suffice.

B) Presidential cabinet appointees must have either held a public office, served in the military, or worked in the private sector in a position that is related to the cabinet position they are being appointed to.

I believe this will safeguard us from ever having another President as incompetent and "in over his head" as this one. What do you think?

Last edited by bawac34618; 04-05-2017 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 07:16 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
I think it's a horrible idea.

Career politicians has been a proven failure IMHO.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:20 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Did you forget that ALL male citizens are obligated to serve?

Militia duty:
“AGE.... In the United States, at twenty-five, a man [citizen] may be elected a representative in congress;
at thirty, a senator; and
at thirty-five, he may be chosen president.
He is liable to serve in the militia from eighteen to forty- five inclusive, unless exempted for some particular reason.”
- - - From Bouvier’s Law dictionary, 1856 ed.

Title 10 USC Sec. 311. Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, CITIZENS of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

Title 50 USC Sec. 453. Registration (Selective Service)
(a)...it shall be the duty of every male CITIZEN of the United States, and every other male person RESIDING in the United States, who, on the day or days fixed for the first or any subsequent registration, is between the ages of eighteen and twenty-six, to present himself for and submit to registration at such time or times and place or places, and in such manner, as shall be determined by proclamation of the President and by rules and regulations prescribed hereunder.

Art. 1, Sec. 8, USCON (1789)
Congress shall have power ... To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;
Perhaps this should mean we must bar women from the executive branch for they are exempt from militia duty. That doesn't sound like equal obligations for equal rights, does it?

Old 04-05-2017, 07:23 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
I think the OP's statement is a compelling idea, and one that makes a lot of sense. I agree that Republicans would likely oppose it right now though.

Pedro- I don't think the OP is saying somebody would have to be a 'career politician'. Many of our Presidents held jobs in other industries (or served in the military) prior to holding public office in a capacity other than president.

Actually, has there been a President before #45 who didn't serve in the military or public office prior to the presidency? There probably has been but I can't think of one right now. They certainly haven't all been proven failures.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:25 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Yeah, let's only have turdloafish insiders running things!!!!!

Old 04-05-2017, 07:25 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
I like the constitution the way it is thank you. And I believe the era of the career politician is coming to an end.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:26 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
JetGraphics- while they're obligated to serve, and sign up for selective service, not everyone does serve in an active duty capacity, let alone get any military training at all.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:26 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
we don't need no more stinkin' career politicians. that's what got us into the mess that President Trump is trying to fix. And I would add that serving in Congress makes you permanently ineligible to serve as POTUS or Veep.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:28 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I think it's a horrible idea.

Career politicians has been a proven failure IMHO.
There is a big difference between being a career politician and having at least some small modicum of experience with public service.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:28 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,334 times
Horrible idea. All you would get are pandering career politicians or right-wing hawks.

The system worked just fine. The Democrats did this to themselves. If Bernie had not been cheated out of the nomination, Trump would never have been President. People wanted change and the Democrats ran a pandering status-quo candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies