Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 07:56 AM

51,642 posts, read 25,774,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Not hardly. Whatever happened to Camp David? Isn't that where they usually make their agreements? (Or supposed to) Trumps salary doesn't come close to what he owes for security. He should man up and pay the Mara Lago security at least seeing that we are already paying for extra security in New York for his mailorder bride.
Some world leaders might find Camp David more appealing than a gilded private club..

Old 04-08-2017, 08:00 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,619,187 times
Exactly.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,979,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump donated his salary. Let's just call it even.
You really should put a [\sarcasm] tag around that, Ponderosa.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:13 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,748,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
So at the cost of another $3-4 million Donny is once again jetting off to his "Richy Rich" Florida hideaway under the guise of it being a better environment for his upcoming meeting with the President of China. Never mind that the dude doesn't even like or play golf, has closed down hundreds of golf courses in China, and has banned all 88 million of the Chinese communist party from playing golf. But since Donny doesn't do facts guess none of this matters.

To me this just reeks of him doing nothing more than promoting his brand and his club at our expense and dissing a foreign leader in the process. Is there anybody that thinks these talks could not have taken place at the WH or Camp David and achieve a similar result?

I don't get it but that just me.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/u...lary.html?_r=0

Old 04-08-2017, 08:22 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,149,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The donation of his salary barely offsets the cost of his entourage when he travels from the WH to jump on Air Force I at Andrews Air Force Base.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:23 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,782,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post

Lets see. Trump donates a portion of his salary to the park service and the rest to ?. He raises his membership at Mar-A-Lago to 200k a year was it? Wait a minute. All he needs is two more members to make his whole salary for a year? Hmmm that light bulb must have exploded over his head. I know I'll get the tax payers to pay for my monthly trips so I can woo new members. I'll make a fortune he must have thought. Lets call it the southern white house and maybe promise a dinner with the POTUS? Marketing at it's finest. Very smart. Very 1%. clap clap clap. He's brilliant.

Lets play a game. Which conflict of interest will make Trump richer at our expense. Is it Mar-A-Lago or Trump International in D.C.?

Well I know it won't be Trump Hotel in Azerbaijan. Oh wait, he did earn 2.5 mil. for being "a licensor." Is allowing Anar Mammadov the son of a powerful Azerbaijan oligarch with some possible ties to the Iran Islamic national guard a tad sketchy? Not for the right price I guess. Everything has a price. Too bad his trips to Mar-A-Lago are at our expense. Go Donnie Go. And I don't mean to Mar-A-Lago.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:33 AM

8,467 posts, read 6,869,662 times
Trump is basically a front man and promoter for his global business empire. Mar A Lago is just one example. To keep his loyal and unquestioning followers brainwashed into believing he is a legitimate President he delivers his " working for the common man" canned speeches and Twitter postings. All of the real work of being a President is delegated to others.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:43 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,218,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Very rarely did any of them entertain foreign leaders at their homes, this is like the 5th trip and it's not a residence, it's a club.
Aside from the money spent by secret service and Coast Guard he is directly benefitting from the publicity by increasing the value of his home and increased fees from the residents. Then there is the money being spent to maintain a permanent secret service presence in Manhattan.
This is very different than anything else we have seen. You cannot compare the secret service protection required today to 40 years ago, not even close. Go visit one of these areas on the next visit and you will see what's involved.
^^^and that's does not include the cost of the Secret Service for his 4 children, grandchildren and
his businesses:
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...travel/515874/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
How is it better than that ugly, institutional-looking old place in DC? Mar-a-Lago is everything that other place is NOT: exotic, ornate, FUN, beautiful... Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago Estate Facts and Pictures - Mar-a-Lago History And Photos

Mar-a-Lago's original owner, Marjorie Merriweather Post DONATED it (or, at least, attempted to), for use in precisely the way that it IS now being used, by THE FIRST DECENT PRESIDENT WE'VE HAD SINCE EISENHOWER. Post knew how well the estate worked for diplomatic functions. In fact, she WAS a diplomat, and a very smart lady.
I think this is a WONDERFUL way to deepen America's good relations with China.
^^^Are you serious - "that old ugly place?"
Marjorie M Post was generous to donate that property but have you read her biography?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think that he's doing this so he can be seen by Xi as sitting there surrounded by opulence, kind of like what Xi would see if he had a meeting with the Saudis.
Trump is more comfortable in dictatorial "splendor."
President (or King Trump) has a Louis XIV complex. Gold is the new orange.
Donald Trump's $100m New York City penthouse in pictures | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Doesn't this concern you that this is the exact thing Trump said he would not do -play golf all of the time and travel.
Come on. He's making his supporters look like chumps and they still defend him.

Trump: 'I would rarely leave the White House'
Real estate mogul and reality TV star Donald Trump (R) says he wouldn’t get out much if he wins the Oval Office next year.

“I would rarely leave the White House because there’s so much work to be done,” Trump, 69, tells ITK. "I would not be a president who took vacations. I would not be a president that takes time off.”

“You don’t have time to take time off,” Trump adds.

“Yes, I would live in the White House because it’s the appropriate thing to do,” he says.

“I would work. And I would make the country great again. That’s what you have to do.”

Trump: 'I would rarely leave the White House' | TheHill

“There’s no time for vacations,” Trump said as a stone-faced Chris Christie sat next to him. “We’re not going to be big on vacations.”

As Trump Takes 6th Golf Trip As President The Vow He Made To NEVER Take A Vacation Goes Viral (VIDEO) | Addicting Info | The Knowledge You Crave

"I don't ever think I'd see anything — I just wanna stay in the White House and work my ass off, make great deals, right?" he continued. "Who's gonna leave?"
https://mic.com/articles/172212/trum...ent#.o8VDjzlh5
^^^Shocking to see those videos again. If you look up the word liar in the dictionary, you'll
find a picture of President Trump.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,984,067 times
With regards to Trump's statement I would work all the time.

Trump believes he is working at Mar a Lago. But I can't imagine the cost of shipping all the staff required with regards to a state visit to Mara a Lago. This is unnecessary spending for sure.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:46 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,149,399 times
Default 80 Days Of Trump - $20 Million in Mar A Lago Expenses

So Donny has bupkus in the legislative achievements he promised the poorly educated, but he has managed to spend $20 million of our money on trips to his richy rich Florida hideaway - in just 80 days!

BO spent 97 million in 8 years on his personal travel and Donny at this rate will be at that number before Santa comes down the chimney in December.

Of course this doesn't even account for our paying for Melania to stay cloistered in her NY tower, or the expense of providing security for his two lame brain entitled sons, to travel the world on our dime, while they rake in the profits for their little crime family.

And today he comes out and announces he's back to the drawing board on a tax plan - guess he forgot how complicated it was!

In the words of his wall street and big business buddies, he is not a good value proposition for America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.