Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 04:24 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot. The right wing mantra 'Lets not invest in new technologies. Let the rest of the world do it.'

But hey- clean coal, right?
I'm for investing in sound technology. Obama apparently wasn't. His "investments" are a litany of failed projects at great expense to the taxpayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 04:44 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm for investing in sound technology. Obama apparently wasn't. His "investments" are a litany of failed projects at great expense to the taxpayer.
Oh, well I guess the AK 'Bridge to Nowhere' followed by the 'Road to Nowhere' showcases GOP 'prudence' with the checkbook. What- $800 million of taxpayer money, not private, into an utter debacle.

I'd rather invest money in trying (and failing) a new technology rather than padding a pandering GOP pocket.

You do realize this was mainly private money and a research 'grant', don't you?

Old 04-07-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Oh, well I guess the AK 'Bridge to Nowhere' followed by the 'Road to Nowhere' showcases GOP 'prudence' with the checkbook. What- $800 million of taxpayer money, not private, into an utter debacle.

I'd rather invest money in trying (and failing) a new technology rather than padding a pandering GOP pocket.

You do realize this was mainly private money and a research 'grant', don't you?
You get no argument from me. Those were pork projects supported by bad politicians on both sides. I'm against them.

But that has nothing to do with the argument in question.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:49 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:

Go for it! What could possibly go wrong with highways made out of glass!?!

Old 04-07-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
You get no argument from me. Those were pork projects supported by bad politicians on both sides. I'm against them.

But that has nothing to do with the argument in question.
That's right- you're against research into new technologies. Got it.

Maybe this a more balanced read for you. I read it prior to opening my mouth on the topic. I kinda like to know the backstory before I pass judgement.

Novel idea.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gre...Solar-Roadways

Last edited by Threerun; 04-07-2017 at 05:01 PM..

Old 04-07-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Go for it! What could possibly go wrong with highways made out of glass!?!
I don't know. We use it as an aggregate in road mix here. Also as a a substitute for winter road grit in lieu of corrosive salt.

https://www.pca.state.mn.us/waste/glass-road-aggregate

Recycled glass on the roads | Montana News | billingsgazette.com

Glass has many desirable properties and in a lot of cases is exceedingly durable.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:11 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Actually the investment funds he used, on the average did better then most commercial investments. Meanwhile the folks on the right point to the few failed, and cry victory, while ignoring the successes.

Its intellectually dishonest.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
That's right- you're against research into new technologies. Got it

I am absolutely for research. I've said many times on this forum that if the USA wants to get real about green energy then they need to dump all the money into hydrogen powered cars and thorum cycle nuclear reactors to generate the hydrogen and electricity.

This is the only technology that we have for the foreseeable future that could be conceivably developed to end our dependence on fossil fuels.

Obama's nonsense like this wasted years of effort in tech that doesn't work.

Hence you are proved wrong yet again.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually the investment funds he used, on the average did better then most commercial investments. Meanwhile the folks on the right point to the few failed, and cry victory, while ignoring the successes.

Its intellectually dishonest.
Go look up the history of DesignLine Bus company starting with Obama's visit to the plant and ending with a lawsuit against his former Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. And this is but one example of completely failure of vision and coherent industrial policy from the former community agitator.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I am absolutely for research. I've said many times on this forum that if the USA wants to get real about green energy then they need to dump all the money into hydrogen powered cars and thorum cycle nuclear reactors to generate the hydrogen and electricity.

This is the only technology that we have for the foreseeable future that could be conceivably developed to end our dependence on fossil fuels.

Obama's nonsense like this wasted years of effort in tech that doesn't work.

Hence you are proved wrong yet again.
According to you. 'WaldoKitty' the undisputed knowitall of emerging technologies. Right..

You've only proven you really don't understand how an SBIR project works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies