Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Because he doesn't have the ego that needs the title. He is doing more here at home and around the world.

So hate on him -- what have you done with your life.....(I'm not any better I'm here on this board).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
True but if you go in looking 45 you come out looking 65 so you will definitely need it.
Shoot, I'd delegate practically everything to the experts and essentially turn the Oval Office into a home theater.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:34 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
Gates is smarter than Trump, no question, but even though he's generous and seems very concerned about our country, it doesn't necessarily mean he would want the job as President. Even though he often gives speeches, he doesn't strike me as someone who constantly enjoys being in the spotlight as a president must do.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:42 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
he would probably win easily you have to admit
Gates has stunning ability to handle politics. He has grown a lot over the decades, gone is the hubris, gone is the massive ego

But Gates most likely wants to continue his Foundation free from the restraints of politics.

Gates with of course the contributions from buffet too, does amazing work, it is better for the world that he continues this. we need a great leader, but the world needs Gates even more.

the Gates foundation has been one of the greatest redistributors of wealth the world has ever seen. They are helping at a very basic level, and carefully spending monies only where it will have a strong impact. The foundation is not even a charity so that it can avoid wastage.

We need to leave them alone, let them do their work and give them help when they ask.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:44 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Shoot, I'd delegate practically everything to the experts and essentially turn the Oval Office into a home theater.
i think that is exactly what trump thought he could do. Trump has never run a truly complex business. Trump has run a brand and a real estate company. While hard and requiring experts, it is nothing compared to running a fortune 500 company nevermind governing

Old 04-06-2017, 06:34 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Probably for the same reason why other very powerful wealthy people never ran. The skill set is entirely different, as is the fire in the belly for the job.

Gates is busy changing the world in ways he wants to support. His thing now is fighting disease, and he has all the time and the money needed to do it well. Carnegie spent his time building libraries so Americans would not be illiterate any longer, and Rockefeller couldn't give his money to his causes fast enough to get it all committed before he died.

Those with that kind of vast wealth don't want to be President. They no longer need anything money provides and will never have any needs the rest of us have, so they are far better off doing what they want to accomplish.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Can you imagine jet planes and aircraft carriers being forced to run their battle systems on Windows?

we have to halt the war while it installs updates. lol
Having dealt much with that decision a few years ago it would not be a bad choice. At least equal to any other of the comparable.

In general the military stuff is abominable. Windows would be an improvement.

I don't know where the idea came from that DoD or the space agency had good software. They don't. Worst sufferer in the world from the backward compatibility problem.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
What is so special about a guy whose path to success was made by the theft of an operating system from Xerox?
Nonsense. You could perhaps make that charge against Jobs but not Gates. I was there. Gates was carried by IBM and was dragged into the windows stuff by the industry direction. And it took them years to do it even moderately well. Then again there are still people who are potent at command line Unix.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 PM

I would enjoy a Gates run for the Presidency. I knew him in the early days when he was a profane, mean, driven SOB. Great qualities sometimes in a President. But the years have softened him and rounded out his world view. A limit do-gooder of immense personal drive could be just what we need.

So far I see no one attractive on the left. So maybe. I might even volunteer if Gates made a run at it.

He was not ever lovable. But he was driven and capable. Got dealt a good hand and maximized it. What better credentials for a President.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:04 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
he would probably win easily you have to admit
He's one of the puppet masters pulling the strings from behind the curtain paying off politicians for his corporate interests. He's more effective in his current role.

And who's to suggest he gives a damn about the United States?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies