Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 07:02 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Trump is enforcing Obama's "red line".
Which was not approved by the congress!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Eyewitness says Syrian military anticipated U.S. raid

So did we warn Russia, and they warned Syria?

Warning: big ugly pic of trump on the link
From what I understand, its SOP to warn before airstrikes. But I could be wrong. I'll defer to someone who knows more than me about this sort of thing.

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
An Impeachable Offense - The Future of Freedom Foundation

Now I don't know how reliable a source this is, but Hornberger makes a good case.

"The Constitution is clear: The power to declare war lies with Congress, not the president. Like it or not, under our form of government the president is prohibited from waging war without a declaration of war from Congress." ...

"Prior violations of the Constitution do not operate as an implicit amendment of the Constitution. If Obama proceeds to carry out his threat to initiate war against Syria, he will be committing a grave constitutional offense."

"The Framers did not want President Obama or any other president to have the omnipotent, dictatorial authority to send the entire nation into war on his own initiative." ...

He makes a good case for why our Constitution is clear that the elected representatives of the American people determine whether there is sufficient justification for the United States to declare war on Syria.

I understand it, Congress is meeting today.
Showing how worthless a piece of paper is at dissuading despotic/criminal acts.

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's all the time they need in order to decide whether or not to deploy their missile defend system. They could have deployed it but chose not to.
Precisely. But good luck getting some folks to realize that.

It's both annoying and funny how confident some people are on C-D when you know for a fact that they're flat out wrong.

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Still waiting for proof that Assad even did anything. Could have been the Russians. Could have been an accident by the rebels (or on purpose to draw us in). I have read reports that say the rebels have access to gas.

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
........3. Question. Since I was very young when the Iran/Iraq war happened. How much outrage was there when Saddam Hussain used chemical weapons against Iranian forces?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halabja_chemical_attack
One needs to remember that we were in the Cold War then. How one responded to this or that had a much different weight hanging over their head than it is now.

The other thing, of course, is that Chemical Weapons were not outlawed then.....unlike now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemic...ons_Convention

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm not crazy about the intervention, but Obama's red line hasn't worked evidently. I'd prefer other countries would act too.

He's not the first President to order military action without Congress so it's not a given Trump needed Congressional approval, but if the OP could please explain:
  • President Bill Clinton in 1999 bombing Kosovo and
  • Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama bombing Libya in 2011.
Just for starters. Or is this more selective outrage?
Hillary Clinton has never been president.

You all are very obsessed with her.

I don't think that Trump's bombing is unconstitutional or worthy of impeachment BTW.

Personally, I think he did it to take the focus off of the Russian investigation. I do find it hypocritical considering his previous statements about not getting involved when Obama was president.

I don't want us involved in any sort of conflict like this. And FWIW, I don't think Trump and friends thought this out. Even though Obama was not perfect on foreign relations and I didn't like his actions either in the ME with drone strikes, I do think he never crossed his "red line" because he listened to Congress, people within his own party, and the American public at large in that a majority do not want to get involved in this conflict. So I never viewed him not getting involved as a negative on Obama and saw that as a plus. He also sought approval from Congress. I don't think Trump is as thoughtful as Obama in that he does not consider outcomes regarding these matters nor what the majority of Americans want.

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times
impeachable offense ?? that is what they have wanted in DC all along - Trump is now their BFF.

a false flag chemical weapon attack is a great excuse to spend some money on defense and create situations that require govt. to become important so it can remain in power. deep state is drinking whiskey and smoking cigars on a job well done.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:03 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Trump is enforcing Obama's "red line".
I knew it would be Obama's fault. I just knew it.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:03 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Eyewitness says Syrian military anticipated U.S. raid

Looks like they got more than 30 minutes based on what they were able to move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies