Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:38 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times

Advertisements

The same thing happened to the Australian women's nation team, except they lost 7-0 when they played a bunch of 14-year-old boys. This was the same team that was making international news by complaining publicly about not being paid as much as the men's national team.

Sports are entertainment. Player's are compensated based on how much money they bring in. Anyone who can't understand that are either idiots or morally bankrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 11:40 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
It's very surprising that the ladies were able to score two times. Shame on the boys.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:46 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What's the point of this thread? So they lost to a boy's team. Sooooo?
The point is women's soccer is demanding equal pay when they provide an inferior product that people don't want to watch.

The point is that Sen. Warren is demanding some type of equal rights (pay?) for snicker......Women's Hockey Players (lol).

The point is Title 9 has created sports and opportunities for weak athletes who no one wants to watch....at the expense of American Men's Tennis, Golf, Soccer & possibly other American athletes for the past 25 years. (with the inevitable world wide results).

Edit - (just saw the post upthread) Oh yeah...and there's that Transgender issue people seem to be interested in these days, which seems to put a curve ball (or screw ball) into this gender & athletics thingy.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:05 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I didn't know you needed big muscles and a shaved head to shoot guns and missles from miles away and fly planes? Grenades too heavy for a woman? Gtfoh. If she is in shape and her fingers work she can shoot the enemy . All hands on deck soldier.....
Yep. Plus, if we allow more people to voluntarily enlist, we'll be less likely to end up resorting to resurrecting the draft, die to needing more bodies in the field.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:22 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What's the point of this thread?

So they lost to a boy's team. Sooooo?
It's a bunch of insecure boys who are using this to justify their sexism and transphobia. Anyone with half a brain knows that upon reaching puberty, boys are physically stronger and faster than girls. I mean, I'm an out of shape guy, and I could easily meet the push-up requirements for women without even trying.

But real men recognize that while women might not be as physically strong, they have every right to pursue their dreams and contribute to the world as much as men can. Immature boys tell them to get back to the kitchen.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:38 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I vote for Pedro. (sorry...had to do it. ). He is correct.

I could pick up a group of guys playing soccer in a local park on a Saturday morning and they could beat the US Woman's team.

Most Woman's athletics are a joke. (as is the current version of Title 9 as it relates to men's and women's athletics)

- No woman on the US Olympic Soccer team could even make the team for a Top 40 US men's college soccer team.
- No woman in the entire world could even make the team of a Top 40 US college men's Tennis team.
- No woman on an WNBA team....(or in the world) is good enough to play (or ride the bench) on ANY of the 64 teams that competed in NCAA tournament (March Madness) two - three weeks ago.

They can't pay people to attend a WNBA game. It's too painful to watch. The only women's tennis players I can watch (although I'd rather not) are Kerber and Radwanska (the rest are worse than weekend warrior hacks down at the local courts). Soccer is awful to watch even with world class men playing....why watch awful soccer....but at a SIGNIFICANTLY lower level of ability and talent.

& Softball? Besides people who know the players (or are parents of the players).....who on earth would ever willingly go to a girl's or woman's softball game? Do they even HAVE a pro league? I bet the 11 & 12 year old boys competing in Williamsport have a higher skill set than 90% of college softball players.
cool story bro, but has nothing to do with what i said.

I made the very clear point (i mean i thought it was damn clear) that the women's team was not there to "win" they were there to play an exhibition game. can a 14 year old boy's team win? Well it depends on the team. A top rated team of big players, playing a b or c international women's team has a great shot. But only a shot. It is not done and dusted. The USA does not play a physical game thus they are less suited to playing boys than some other women's teams.

Now lets be clear, you must likely assume i think they should be paid the same as men, to that, NOPE. NOT on your nellie. not a bit of it.

Male players don't get paid the same either. Higher level players in most sports are mostly paid based on demand for their services. That is how they should be paid. If women bring in the big bucks, they should paid more. I would be willing to bet Women get paid more to play beach vollyball than men.. i don't know, but feels like that would be the case.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:43 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
It's a bunch of insecure boys who are using this to justify their sexism and transphobia. Anyone with half a brain knows that upon reaching puberty, boys are physically stronger and faster than girls. I mean, I'm an out of shape guy, and I could easily meet the push-up requirements for women without even trying.

But real men recognize that while women might not be as physically strong, they have every right to pursue their dreams and contribute to the world as much as men can. Immature boys tell them to get back to the kitchen.
I agree I always support all the girls teams and go to some of the games at colleges in my area... you have to love them. and the summer Olympics would be really lame if it was all men or something.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:54 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
I'd like to walk through this one.
Quote:
It's a bunch of insecure boys who are using this to justify their sexism and transphobia.
Are you doing this?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
The first is your basic "it may be true but it's sexist to point it out." The "only misogynists would go around talking about this" meme.
---------------------------------
Quote:
...boys are physically stronger and faster than girls...
I would agree. But is it sexist to point it out, or talk about it in relation to a news story? Or can a reasonable person mention it?
Quote:
...while women might not be as physically strong, they have every right to pursue their dreams and contribute to the world as much as men can. Immature boys tell them to get back to the kitchen.
Who is saying that? I for one would never tell anyone that they can't do something. That goes against my worldview.

I guess what you are saying, though, reading between the lines of that last quoted line, is that you think money for men's and women's sports, for example, should be the result of efforts to ensure equal funding (by law), regardless of how much money men's and women's sports generate. Is this an accurate assessment?

Last edited by Nepenthe; 04-08-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 12:58 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Higher level players in most sports are mostly paid based on demand for their services. That is how they should be paid. If women bring in the big bucks, they should paid more.
You almost sound like a free-market capitalist there.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:59 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Just how good are the top woman athletes demanding equal pay with their male counterparts?

They went on to defeat Russia.

FC Dallas under-15 boys squad beat the U.S. Women's National Team in a scrimmage - CBSSports.com
I hope them boys get paid more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies