U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:07 AM

2,801 posts, read 1,839,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
For me, it wasn't until I started understanding how money works that I became conservative. It's just their policies made more sense afterward.
REALLY? Take away services from the needy to give tax breaks to the wealthy makes more sense ???

WHERE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 11:09 AM

39,392 posts, read 20,479,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
REALLY? Take away services from the needy to give tax breaks to the wealthy makes more sense ???

WHERE?
zzz, zzz, so you're saying that the capable needy would starve otherwise?

Old 04-09-2017, 11:11 AM

5,810 posts, read 2,355,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Actually the biggest reason is lack of self control and proper financial budget/planning and living way beyond means.

10 dollar starbucks everyday
15 dollar lunches at work and 20 dollar take away dinner after work
100 dollar gym membership
500 dollar a month fancy SUV
500 dollar a month just to cover minimum payment on credit card
200 dollar a month cable/tv bill

and on and on and on
I have to agree with you and the op. I drive a 1992 Toyota 4x4 E cab truck. It was the first and last vehicle I ever bought on credit and I will never do it again. I live modestly and now do most of my own cooking and eat out rarely. I do go to movies and events and spend money a friend or on the grandkids and I still manage to save an average of $1400 a month, every month.

The ex is 20k in the hole. LOL!!!!

I tried to explain the facts of Life to her but it was like explaining algebra to a kitten.

People really need to learn how to spend money.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:18 AM

9,791 posts, read 7,091,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Examples:

* Alimony payments
* Court fees, bail bonds, etc.
* Taxes
* Tow truck companies charging you $500+ to get your car back after accidentally parking in a non-parking zone
* Regulations of small businesses, penalties, etc.

The list goes on.

Then there's the huge number of random "fees" like Ticketmaster (a monopoly) charging you $30 in "service fees" on a $100 ticket. I guess we're all figuring out that this new internet economy isn't as cheap as we thought.

Another problem is the amount of price-fixing agreements I've seen. As an example, the nursing home industry basically has put an expensive floor on prices. I know of someone who was paying $2500/month for 24-hour care in a home run by Filipina nurses. When this was found out about, the Romanians who run the nursing home industry basically took over the home and doubled the price, to $5000/month. Because "that's what it's supposed to cost."
Well, let's see, if I were a low income wage earner I'd do my best to avoid some of these expenses by 1) staying on the right side of the law to avoid the court fees, bail bonds, 2) making sure I checked out where I parked to avoid parking in an illegal spot, 3) figure I could not afford a $100 ticket for anything so I'd save not only that $30 service fee but also the $100 for the ticket.

Although I have to agree with you that it costs more to be in a position where you can't pay your bills timely than if you can. Things like late penalties, reconnection fees, high interest rates on credit cards and other loans add to the costs of using these items. And once you're stuck in that "late payment" quagmire it can be even harder to work your way out. Which has always provided me with the motivation to do my best not to get there in the first place. Or take measures to work your way out as you are able, instead of just giving up.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:23 AM

503 posts, read 282,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Examples:

* Alimony payments
* Court fees, bail bonds, etc.
* Taxes
* Tow truck companies charging you $500+ to get your car back after accidentally parking in a non-parking zone
* Regulations of small businesses, penalties, etc.

The list goes on.

Then there's the huge number of random "fees" like Ticketmaster (a monopoly) charging you $30 in "service fees" on a $100 ticket. I guess we're all figuring out that this new internet economy isn't as cheap as we thought.

Another problem is the amount of price-fixing agreements I've seen. As an example, the nursing home industry basically has put an expensive floor on prices. I know of someone who was paying $2500/month for 24-hour care in a home run by Filipina nurses. When this was found out about, the Romanians who run the nursing home industry basically took over the home and doubled the price, to $5000/month. Because "that's what it's supposed to cost."
You have my empathy about "administration fees" but I don't think Americans are struggling because they can't pay a Ticketmaster service fee.

I think Americans are struggling because 1) they don't know how to manage money, 2) they try to live beyond their means, 3) simplicity has been largely abandoned in this country, 4) the necessity items that Americans do need (education, health care, transportation, etc) have been so outrageously overpriced that once in debt, always in debt.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:25 AM

19,048 posts, read 9,705,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
How is voting Republican going to make the stuff go away?
More freedom, more money in our pockets, less regulations, lower taxes, rule of law, less racism, fewer illegal immigrants to undercut Americans and fewer terrorists.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 04-09-2017 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-09-2017, 11:25 AM

1,225 posts, read 425,139 times
Credit is given out far too easily sometimes thus resulting in ridiculous credit card debt. Car loans and house loans are getting better with that, however I do remember back about 10 years ago working for an auto loaner who frivolously handed them out. We impounded a fully loaded Range Rover from a Walmart cashier

Old 04-09-2017, 11:28 AM

9,791 posts, read 7,091,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Maybe we should pay far more attention to the monopolization of the Health Care Industry then we have in the past. Drug company pricing is a good example as is corporate ownership of multiple hospitals in any given region.

Taxes are becoming a problem in our town because some corrupt local politicians are approving very dense housing that most of us moved here to avoid. Most of these units will cost the Town far more in service than they will ever pay in Taxes.
Uncontrolled prescription drug prices are a big part of the runaway cost of healthcare in this country. For this reason I hope that Trump and Bernie Sanders are able to work together and successfully find a way to get through the lobbying and vested interests of Big Pharma and Congressional members in their pockets, to be able to negotiate for the best prices that can be had.

Sanders will 'absolutely' work with Trump to lower prescription drug costs | TheHill

Old 04-09-2017, 11:31 AM

4,929 posts, read 3,421,971 times
Reading through these posts I have to wonder if the Feds gave Ted Kaczynski an internet connection. Weird.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:51 AM

19,048 posts, read 9,705,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Uncontrolled prescription drug prices are a big part of the runaway cost of healthcare in this country. For this reason I hope that Trump and Bernie Sanders are able to work together and successfully find a way to get through the lobbying and vested interests of Big Pharma and Congressional members in their pockets, to be able to negotiate for the best prices that can be had.

Sanders will 'absolutely' work with Trump to lower prescription drug costs | TheHill
Completely untrue. No such thing as runaway drug cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or