Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 04:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Perhaps both the right wing and left wing have both lost their minds. Marc's argument is puzzling, but there's a kernel of inescapable truth within that no one can refute: The passenger was asked to deplane. At that point, the passenger's only legitimate response is to deplane and seek redress legally or through customer service. There is no basis on which he has a right to stay in his seat, refusing to deplane. You can make up whatever arguments you wish about how he could be due a windfall of cash in the aftermath of his deplaning, but not deplaning was simply not supportable on any legitimate basis.

The airline screwed up the PR majorly, but the fact that so many people are twisting that into their making a more substantive mistake is bewildering. It's okay to not like the way the industry operates, but to cast as a mistake an airline operating in accordance with industry standards is self-deception. It shields you, perhaps, from having to face the fact that it is the industry you're mad at, which is inevitably a much less gratifying target for your ire, especially since the laws that the industry operates under and the standards that the industry applies are all a reflection of how duplicitous voters are - saying they want consumer protections but not voting for legislators who will impose them - and a reflection of how cravenly opportunistic consumers are - rewarding the lowest cost provider and quick to punish providers who try to charge a little more for more humane terms and conditions.

I am disgusted with how badly the American public allowed itself to be manipulated into a rabid frenzy against the airline in this case, and in some cases even against the airport police. (That's one reason why I waited a few days before posting to this thread.) No the airline and the police aren't angels and the passenger isn't a demon, but the airline didn't do much wrong, aside from public relations, which hurt them not passengers; the police's inexpert handling reflects the municipality inadequately resourcing training for their officers; and in the end, regardless of the actual legal outcome, this incident was the fault of one man who simply felt he was more important than everyone and everything else, and who engaged in antisocial behavior thinking he could do so with impunity.
Have you ever tried to seek redress against an airline for what it's done by using it's "customer NO service" or by any other means? Didn't United's initial response give you some idea of how that goes?
All I can say is BAWWWW HAWWW HAWWWW that's a good one, so funny in fact I almost spit out my coffee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 04:39 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Not that I disagree with some of what you say or that I agree with that posters opinions (I don't) but given the posts you quote what exactly makes you believe that;
A. The person was speaking as a, or is a "Right Wing" person
B. Has anything to do with a "Right Wing run amok"
C. "Simply lost his/her mind"
D.Has anything at ALL to do with "these folk" governing?

I didn't see that anywhere in that person's post so it is possible the issues you attribute to the post are actually a manifestation of politically based hate or derangement on your side?
Yeah I asked the same question. In fact most of those she/he is disagreeing with are hard core liberals!

Old 04-12-2017, 04:39 PM

2,847 posts, read 4,520,659 times
if i was a bystander (sitter) in this situation, i think after they dragged the poor man off the plane, i think i'd have collected my things & left the plane. i'll find another way home & it WON'T be with your company

Old 04-12-2017, 04:49 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
This is just the latest nail in the United brand. As a somewhat frequent business traveler, United has always been my absolute last choice. Without exception, there is a major inconvenience every single time I fly United. Overbooked flights, delays (normally mechanical failures in my personal experience), cancellations, and without fail, lost luggage. I will never understand why this occurs so frequently with United. When flying through their main hubs, and with a 2 hour plus layover, why is it that United cannot seem to get luggage moved from aircraft A to aircraft B? How do the all other airlines manage to get it done, and usually in less time, layover wise?

The current market indicators point to a 5% drop in UAL shares, and around $1B lost. The United leadership is currently putting on a master class in how NOT to respond to this controversy.
Thankfully, I rarely fly UA. However, the above testimonial - coupled with the recent horrible incident & the pi$$-poor way they're handling this (i.e., bad mouthing the customer who was thrown off the plane) - makes it clear that this airline is excremental. I'm surprised they've stayed in business as long as they have.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 04-12-2017 at 05:13 PM..

Old 04-12-2017, 04:52 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
This thread has gotten so long that I don't even want to read it anymore. I have seen every possible argument on both sides, and I still think it is absolutely and utterly wrong for airlines to overbook. (Yeah, yeah, I know...this wasn't overbooking, it was to make room for employees. Even worse.)

The one thing I will say is that every single person who has spoken in defense of United is practically inviting airlines to go on treating them and every other passenger like crap. Why not just slap a big, fat "kick me" sign on your back?

Old 04-12-2017, 04:55 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
So simple, isn't it?

People keep saying this.

I'd just like to point out that he probably screamed when his face bashed against the arm rest. I guess he was not supposed to make a sound when that happened.

Note that he was not struggling as he was dragged down the aisle. Was he even fully conscious?

His behavior when he returned to the airplane saying he wanted to go home suggests he had a concussion.

I do not think we can unequivocally say he was acting like a toddler.

No dear, review the video. As soon as he perceived that force was going to be justifiably and correctly used against his blockade, he converted to a hysterical screeching ill-behaved child and started screaming like a banshee, probably thinking that would stop the force from being applied. But fortunately, the officers didn't put up with his crap and stopped his violent blockade and correctly removed him.

People need to understand that in a terroristic world, you are not to act out on an airplane. The airlines are totally reasonable in insisting that you shut the heck up and follow orders when you are on an airliner. Otherwise, just drive yourself to your destination and you can do what you want in your own car.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:57 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
This thread has gotten so long that I don't even want to read it anymore. I have seen every possible argument on both sides, and I still think it is absolutely and utterly wrong for airlines to overbook. (Yeah, yeah, I know...this wasn't overbooking, it was to make room for employees. Even worse.)

The one thing I will say is that every single person who has spoken in defense of United is practically inviting airlines to go on treating them and every other passenger like crap. Why not just slap a big, fat "kick me" sign on your back?
What happened to "the customer is always right (even when he's not)" What happened to customer service?

Some people have forgotten that, in numbers, they have power to change things. This incident can be such a motivator for change.

Airlines, like every other business, needs to remember that it is their customers who keep them in business.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
No dear, review the video. As soon as he perceived that force was going to be justifiably and correctly used against his blockade, he converted to a hysterical screeching ill-behaved child and started screaming like a banshee, probably thinking that would stop the force from being applied. But fortunately, the officers didn't put up with his crap and stopped his violent blockade and correctly removed him.

People need to understand that in a terroristic world, you are not to act out on an airplane. The airlines are totally reasonable in insisting that you shut the heck up and follow orders when you are on an airliner. Otherwise, just drive yourself to your destination and you can do what you want in your own car.
Even United Airlines disagrees with your assessment.

Their CEO was on the morning shows saying UA was wrong to drag a paying passenger off the plane.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

Everyone does that the minute they purchase a lottery ticket to a possible cattle slot called a seat on a (hopefully) fully functioning airplane that may or may not get to where it's going (on the same day) with all it's checked baggage...

Old 04-12-2017, 05:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Not that I disagree with some of what you say or that I agree with that posters opinions (I don't) but given the posts you quote what exactly makes you believe that;
A. The person was speaking as a, or is a "Right Wing" person
B. Has anything to do with a "Right Wing run amok"
C. "Simply lost his/her mind"
D.Has anything at ALL to do with "these folk" governing?

I didn't see that anywhere in that person's post so it is possible the issues you attribute to the post are actually a manifestation of politically based hate or derangement on your side?
I will give you D. Should not have said that...it is not relevant and may well not be true.

I will stick with the others as all being obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies