Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 07:15 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Passengers

Here's a little more of the way it went down by another passenger. Since they started looking for volunteers at the gate with an offer of $400 - they should have never let the passengers board until 4 volunteers were found or they did random picks before they boarded.

It may be an airlines right to bump - but there's also a right way and a wrong way to do it.
Just like there is a right and wrong way to deal with law enforcement officials. This dude was 100% wrong in his actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 07:15 AM

89,001 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't think they were technically overbooked. It sounds like they sold the seats, then found out they needed four employees in Kentucky. They should have hired a car rather than treat paying passengers this way. It's only four and a half hours by car.
Stopping the BS right now. Having lived in both Chicago and Louisville, and traveled between both frequently by car, it's a 5-6 hour drive from Chicago to Louisville, assuming one would have to stop to refuel, etc. And then add in the additional hour for the time zone change from Central to Eastern.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:16 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
I would love to be on the jury that decides the settlement. The headlines would read, "Doctor now owns airline".
Not if I were on the jury. He would not get one red cent. He knew he could be involuntarily bumped just like every other passenger and acted like a fool endangering himself and other passengers.

I would question his mental stability and if he should be seeing patients. How undignified for his age and status, if he really even is a doctor.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
People buy refundable tickets all of the time. I guess you do not fly much...

The guy refused to leave, and got a little bloodied because they had to use force; and the problem is?

This guy should have just left, as in comply with instructions. I fail to see what is so difficult about this.
So said Kim Jong Un.

That was the last flight out to the doctor's destination for the day and he needed to see patients the next morning. We are becoming North Korea. Except, in our situation, it is corporations who abuse us and the government is complacent.

Quote:
Insulation from state consumer protection laws, inefficient enforcement of federal law, and Congress’s refusal to pass a Passenger Rights Bill has allowed air carriers to cut services year after year without repercussions.
Quote:
There is no private right of action for violation of the DOT’s consumer protection regulations. So passengers cannot sue the airline themselves and instead must rely on the DOT to enforce the rules.
The Obligations of Airlines and the Rights of Passengers | Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division

Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
This is just the latest nail in the United brand. As a somewhat frequent business traveler, United has always been my absolute last choice. Without exception, there is a major inconvenience every single time I fly United. Overbooked flights, delays (normally mechanical failures in my personal experience), cancellations, and without fail, lost luggage. I will never understand why this occurs so frequently with United. When flying through their main hubs, and with a 2 hour plus layover, why is it that United cannot seem to get luggage moved from aircraft A to aircraft B? How do the all other airlines manage to get it done, and usually in less time, layover wise?

The current market indicators point to a 5% drop in UAL shares, and around $1B lost. The United leadership is currently putting on a master class in how NOT to respond to this controversy.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:26 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
NO- I'm not racist-I may be a fat white man/woman! They were- so why you calling me racists? Read the details--

"Then, she said, a manager came aboard the plane and said a computer would select four people to be taken off the flight."

"When no-one volunteered, a United manager came on the plane and announced passengers would be chosen at random.""He was kind of saying that he was being singled out because he's a Chinese man" when speaking to the manager, Mr Bridges said.

"Several factors come into play when an airline decides who to remove, including a "passenger’s fare class, itinerary, status of frequent flyer program membership, and the time in which the passenger presents him/herself for check-in without advanced seat assignment." Those with disabilities or children traveling alone are least likely to be asked to leave."

I am also very surprised they let a "DOCTOR" go- as they love them on planes for emergencies-?
Stop making excuses. You were using a racial slur against Chinese people. Your post was completely offensive. In fact, I think I will report it now.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I fully understand the story and what happened. Obviously United (and most other airlines) don't plan well, but it is within their rights to refuse service to someone, and when they call in the police to enforce those rights, there is nothing to be gained by clutching onto your seat, screaming like a maniac, and refusing their demands.
The service should be refused at the time the passenger attempts to purchase a ticket, not after he paid for a ticket and boarded the aircraft. People fly because they usually have important plans and a schedule to meet.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So said Kim Jong Un.

That was the last flight out to the doctor's destination for the day and he needed to see patients the next morning. We are becoming North Korea. Except, in our situation, it is corporations who abuse us and the government is complacent.

The Obligations of Airlines and the Rights of Passengers | Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division
You're arguing for more laws, the response should be no law and let consumers punish businesses who treat their customers to beat downs ( legal or not).
Airlines operate in a monopolistic state protected bubble, the wanton disregard for their own customers is but a symptom of the larger problem. Just as the state can beat and haul off the taxpayer on its whims so we now see it being done with one of its favored and protected businesses.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
More good news.

According to AP reports, video of the blood-soaked passenger is being circulated on China's microblogging service Weibo, and has sparked outrage "in China after a witness reported that the elderly man who was dragged off the aircraft may have been targeted because he was Chinese. ... The perceived prejudice against the man—and United’s lackluster response—drew condemnation and calls for a boycott of the airline."

United Video Sparks Outrage in China - The Daily Beast

Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The service should be refused at the time the passenger attempts to purchase a ticket, not after he paid for a ticket and boarded the aircraft. People fly because they usually have important plans and a schedule to meet.
Again, feel free to debate the policy, but that is for the courts to figure out. There is nothing good or right about what the passenger did.

As a Libertarian I'm constantly told how dangerous my views are because people claim I support anarchy, yet here we are with the majority of people on this board literally supporting anarchy in the case of this idiot passenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies