Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 12:35 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,011,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And we'd pay more for plane tickets. Margins on plane travel are ridiculously slim.

The actual contract - link below - makes it perfectly obvious that overbooking is a thing and that if it happens, United Airlines can deny you a seat for pretty much any reason.

The only thing he may be able to hang his hat on is that he was boarded and that asking him to leave doesn't constitute being "denied boarding". I rather doubt he'll win that one.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...age.aspx#sec25

Gotta confess, I'm surprised that no other passengers stepped up once they realized how distraught the guy was.

Notice how in your link it keeps talking about "denied boarding". As in not on the plane yet. No where does it state that you can be bumped once you are boarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 12:38 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
Quote:
And we'd pay more for plane tickets. Margins on plane travel are ridiculously slim.

The actual contract - link below - makes it perfectly obvious that overbooking is a thing and that if it happens, United Airlines can deny you a seat for pretty much any reason.

The only thing he may be able to hang his hat on is that he was boarded and that asking him to leave doesn't constitute being "denied boarding". I rather doubt he'll win that one.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...age.aspx#sec25
Rule 21 “Refusal of Transport” applies, not Rule 25 "Denied Boarding"

The “Refusal of Transport” list does not include overbooking.

"Rule 21, entitled “Refusal of Transport,” is very different because it clearly and expressly covers situations in which a passenger who has already boarded the plane can be removed... But nowhere in the list of some two dozen reasons is there anything about over booking, the need to free up seats, the need for seats to accommodate crew members to be used on a different flight etc....
This is very important because, under accepted legal principles, a law or rule which lists in detail several different factors must be read not to include other factors which were deliberately not included or listed

United Airlines Cites Wrong Rule For Illegally De-Boarding Passenger | Law News

Old 04-11-2017, 12:40 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Notice how in your link it keeps talking about "denied boarding". As in not on the plane yet. No where does it state that you can be bumped once you are boarded.
As I said, that's the only thing he may be able to hang his hat on, legally.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
If the guy really was a physician, I can see him not taking it. However, I'd think someone would have done it for $800. A husband and wife could have banked $1,600 in tickets. Folks used to do it, it's hard to believe things have changed that much. We might not be getting the full story.
I think when it comes to the news these days, we never get the entire story. (and this is not a political statement) It was only short flight, but they should have offered the maximum of $1,350 per person, since people were already seated.

I realize we're all outraged by what we saw on the video, but I thought the passenger was acting very strangely. Now the New York Post is reporting that he's been arrested on several charges.

I don't agree with bumping passengers or forcibly removing them, but maybe he saw a possible lawsuit in his future.

[url=http://nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/]Doctor dragged off flight was convicted of trading drugs for sex | New York Post[/url]

I know many people will say none of this is relevant, but other articles are reporting he's had 98 felony drug charges and exchanged drugs for sex!

Old 04-11-2017, 12:41 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,011,830 times
Quote:
As I said, that's the only thing he may be able to hang his hat on, legally.

And legally is all that matters in his situation.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:42 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Quote:
In my belief, United Airlines is incorrectly citing the wrong federal rule to justify its illegal request to force a passenger already boarded and seated to disembark in order so they could make room for crew members being flown to a new assignment.

Under a federal rule [14 CFR 253], commercial airlines are governed by a document known as a “Contract of Carriage†[COC], a legally binding contract which, among other things, protects the legal rights of passengers, and imposes legal duties upon carriers. United’s COC contains two distinct sections: Rule 21 entitled “Refusal of Transport,†and Rule 25 entitled “Denied Boarding Compensation.â€

United is incorrectly citing the denied boarding compensation rule in its COC, and the federal rule upon which it is based [14 CFR 250.5], to justify requiring a passenger who has already been permitted to board and taken a seat to involuntarily disembark.

But that rule, as its title and history clearly establish, applies only if an airline wishes to deny boarding to a passenger, not to remove a passenger who has already boarded an airplane.
I'm also glad more people are highlighting the nasty things United has done.

And all thanks to the heroic actions of this one unintentional hero.

I only wish the guy had been in the military or attending the funeral of someone killed in combat, then, maybe, the blind supporters on here would see the error of their thinking.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:45 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't agree with bumping passengers or forcibly removing them, but maybe he saw a possible lawsuit in his future.
No, he just wanted to get home and not wait another 22 hours for the next flight.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:47 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Are you intentionally being dense? Belligerence EQUALS staying in the seat and failing to leave private property when asked to do so.

Blocking and impeding private property IS ITSELF BELLIGERENCE. IT IS ITSELF INITIATING VIOLENCE. Get it through your skull already. You don't have to be screaming or acting like an idiot before being removed. The FAILURE TO MOVE AND LEAVE IS ITSELF BELLIGERENT AND VIOLENT.
The man was sitting in his seat. This is neither violent nor belligerent behavior.

As to getting something through a thick skull, here's something to send in: Capitalizing random does not convince others that your argument is correct.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:48 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I only wish the guy had been in the military or attending the funeral of someone killed in combat, then, maybe, the blind supporters on here would see the error of their thinking.
If you consider that heroic, then I know a handful of 2-6 year olds that would really move you to tears come bed time.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:48 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

For all we know the Dr. needed to go home to attend to a veteran, possibly perform a surgery or other vital procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies