Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 06:47 PM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well, that's pretty simple.

It's true that people like cheap airfare, and are willing to forego amenities in exchange. But those same people still resent being treated like crap, and airlines have been treating people like crap for years.
Meh. I fly quite a bit. Being bumped sucks, it happens. I honestly do not see why it makes a huge difference whether it happens before or after boarding. If there was a market for more expensive, bump-free tickets, I suspect the airlines would have identified it. They're not dumb. (Well, there are bump-free tickets. Pay First Class or Business, and the airline will extend considerable effort to make sure you get where you're going.)

Quote:
I quit flying when I found out they were rationing oxygen. I mean really, what else do you need to know about their attitude toward the people that pay them??
That's new on me. You breathe compressed, partially recycled air - there's not some oxygen tank tucked away for the pilots to tinker with. (There is one, but it's the pilots' emergency supply. I think we can let them have that.) And the pilots breathe the cabin air, so... The oxygen percentage (partial pressure, fine) is perfectly adequate. The air is dry as heck, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 07:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,883,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As much as I dislike Trump, United is on their own on this one. Trump had nothing to do with that fiasco.
My hundreds of anti-Trump posts make it obvious that I do not support him. However, I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I hope United stock drops and stays dropped. That was unbelievable what they did on that plane.
United employs 86,000 people. If people boycott United and they need to lay off people, the CEOs won't be the ones who get hurt.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:08 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,274,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
My hundreds of anti-Trump posts make it obvious that I do not support him. However, I agree with you.

United employs 86,000 people. If people boycott United and they need to lay off people, the CEOs won't be the ones who get hurt.

No, the CEO will get hurt as well. Unfortunately if there is a big reaction to the stupidity of a few, including, I might add, the folks at this scene who made these decisions instead of upping the ante to get another person off, many employees who had nothing to do with this will be hurt as well. But such is life.

I personally hope the CEO gets canned . And I hope this doc gets rich off the stupid decisions and actions of these morons.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 PM

17,940 posts, read 27,373,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Imagine if this guy was a Muslim ... passengers would be clapping.
Do you find that Muslims are bullied a lot?

Old 04-11-2017, 07:21 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,877,517 times
The old guy going to be rich!!!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
How could this be?

People have already bought tickets and made plans.
Trip Cancellation & United Airlines Policy | USA Today

Old 04-11-2017, 07:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Meh. I fly quite a bit. Being bumped sucks, it happens. I honestly do not see why it makes a huge difference whether it happens before or after boarding. If there was a market for more expensive, bump-free tickets, I suspect the airlines would have identified it. They're not dumb. (Well, there are bump-free tickets. Pay First Class or Business, and the airline will extend considerable effort to make sure you get where you're going.)

Business Class does not 100% protect you. I got bumped once during a plane transfer as a BC traveler. They dumped me on another airline into cattle class. I made it to my destination, but my luggage arrived the following day. They didn't refund anything. Instead they sent me a voucher (I gave it to my wife and told her to go fly somewhere as to me the dollar amount was a joke).

Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,816,095 times
United Airlines sucks. I traveled with them one trip in 2013. They altered the itinerary several times. One was a cancelled flight replaced with a connection 30 minutes after landing that was altered due to the thirty minute rule of connections. Instead we had to wait two+ hours and take a puddle jumper from Bush in Houston to MCO in Orlando. Because we were traveling to Disney World, we effectively lost a day. Plus unlike the norm with Disney's Magical Express due to the nature of the puddle jumper, typical "overhead items" had to be stowed under so we had to use the baggage collection. Magical Express allows users to not just get free transportation to a Disney hotel but no worries on luggage being collected if they are tagged.

We complained, all we got were United vouchers. I pressed my mother to fight for money due to the inconvenience but she relented to the vouchers that we never actually used because we rarely travel by plane. Apparently, I was somewhat right based on what is going on here.

United is a hot mess of an airline. They suck. I don't think much of an airline is better, but they are the worst I've used. I loved Song but that was a folded Delta offshoot. Southwest is good but we didn't use it that time due to pricing. United was cheaper and I see why. Low quality of service. United didn't change in four years.

Based on the CEO's response he is out of touch and needs to be replaced by someone who has a heart and can realize the situation was wrong. Helping four employees on a full flight after all the passengers checked in and boarded was wrong. I get they are within their right to in an oversold situation but this wasn't an oversold issue. It was trying to cram crew into a packed flight.

I'm surprised the libertarians are fine with government guns being used to help the business when they are typically against the use of police to deboard these random picks for staffing needs. Instead we saw thug like police brutality. The doctor should be able to sue for his seat cost as well as the officers personally and win. There was no excuse for that police brutality.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:10 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,762,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
We often disagree, but you're probably right in this case.

Crying "just kill me" is a bit over-the-top. After seeing the way this doctor behaved, I certainly wouldn't want him touching me.

Another poster wrote that China is upset and I thought it was a joke, but it isn't. It's all over social media, which is ridiculous. The others who were randomly chosen weren't Asian, were they?
He likely was still disoriented after the assault. He might have had a concussion from the blow to the head they gave him when they threw him against the armrest.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,816,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
He likely was still disoriented after the assault. He might have had a concussion from the blow to the head they gave him when they threw him against the armrest.
Yep, he was assaulted in a case of police brutality. He could have been removed without the threat of assault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies