Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Agreed.

Everyone should pay more in taxes than they personally receive in benefits.

That way no one is paid to vote and no one is elected to steal on their behalf.
Or get rid of the government monopoly services, allow competition, pay for them directly, and cut out the middle man politicians...their job is really just to spend our money for us.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:20 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
small detail, you don't know what you are talking about.
Here's the definition

the taking of another person's property or services without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it.

Horrible ideas. Cut government spending, cut taxes. Problem solved.
You are not the rightful owner once it is taxed. Tell ya what. Go try to take the tax back. You do not have to like it. They force you to give it over? Yep law. Inconvenient thing. I wanted to beat the guy who was screwing my friends wife. The law is inconvenient to me also.

Otto the horrible.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:25 AM

5,224 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
You are not the rightful owner once it is taxed. Tell ya what. Go try to take the tax back. You do not have to like it. They force you to give it over? Yep law. Inconvenient thing. I wanted to beat the guy who was screwing my friends wife. The law is inconvenient to me also.

Otto the horrible.

Just because something is the law does not mean that it is the right thing.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:37 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
What would be fair in terms of tax burdens across income groups?
clearly we need a simpler tax code and a lot less loopholes.

we need to reduce the use of regressive taxation it keeps people poor and by definition impacts lower income people more.

We need to increase taxes on the wealthy and consider options to tax assets when both income and AMT fail to recoup some monies.

We need to fix inheritance taxes to prevent the various structures used to maintain generational wealth. One should not get "free pass" because someone related to you generation ago got lucky..

Both gates and Warren agree with this, and they stand to lose the most.

Mostly we need to stop believing the BS idea that you will ever be truly wealthy. YES YOU. the vast majority will never see themselves, their kids, their family become truly rich.

Thus why protect them and pay so much more for your services just because you want to pretend you will one day be truly wealthy.

Inheritance tax does not hit anyone who has less than 10 million net worth. anyone with enough money to be worried can avoid it with ease.

So if you like roads, healthcare, SS, schools etc.... push for increased taxes on the wealthy and a reduction of loopholes.

I use a lot of them and they are almost all geared to helping people who have more money than they need. From 401k mega backdoor rollovers to HSA, planned spending etc... there are means and ways to reduce tax but only for those who have plenty of spare cash.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:37 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Eliminate all income taxes and the IRS and move to the Fair Tax.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:59 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
You're free to leave the US anytime, there are lots of countries where you pay no taxes. Of course most of them have no infrastructure and are engulfed in civil war.
This is the straight up truth about taxes. It always makes me chuckle a little when people equate taxes with theft because those people still use roads, schools and parks. Plus, they usually have a support the troops bumper sticker. We would not want to live in a nation where taxation just up and disappears all of a sudden.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:02 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm waiting for "you consent by not moving" or "you receive services for it, so it's not really theft".
Quote:
“Who will build the roads?” is the question that belongs at the top of every libertarian drinking game. If we didn’t have forced labor, the argument runs, there would be no roads. There’d be a Sears store over there, and your house over here, and everyone involved would just be standing there scratching their heads.
- Tom Woods

Old 04-12-2017, 12:05 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Legalizing something doesn't change what it is.
Actually it does. Take killing. If I walked up to someone in the street and shot them, everyone would agree that his is murder. If they break into my home and threat my family and I shoot them, nearly everyone would agree it was an act of self defense. Most would agree that even if no direct threat was made, I would be in the right since they invaded my property and my privacy. The latter is debatable given that no threat to my life was made so taking theirs may have been disproportionately harsh. But this is why we have laws; to "end" (end in quotes because any law can be challenged for any reason, as the case should be in a republic) these debates.

Killing someone in the process of a home invasion is not murder. Taking someone's money as a means of paying for public expenses in not theft.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:06 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
What would be fair in terms of tax burdens across income groups?
Income taxes should be as far as how people are compensated.

If some CEO gets a 20M bonus which is say 20% of his pay and his employees don't for some reason? That's unfair and deserves a higher rate of taxation.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:10 PM

5,224 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
This is the straight up truth about taxes. It always makes me chuckle a little when people equate taxes with theft because those people still use roads, schools and parks. Plus, they usually have a support the troops bumper sticker. We would not want to live in a nation where taxation just up and disappears all of a sudden.
Why wouldn't you use those items? The money is being taken from you anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies