Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 01:42 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I just don't want to see immodest women popping out. Why is that so wrong?
It's not immodest. Modesty is much more than whether or not you are showing X amount of inches of flesh. You could be completely covered and still be immodest, for example, if the clothing was encrusted with diamonds. It's more about being moderate in behavior, living and yes, to an extent, clothing. Not showing off.

I get a bit uncomfortable with some people's choices in clothing sometimes. However, in almost all cases, women are not "Popping out" (which, just...no) to show off. They are not trying to be flashy, entice people, anything of the sort. THEY ARE FEEDING BABIES. The baby's head will cover it all or mostly. It's only a problem if you keep sitting there and staring.

There's lots of things in public that I may not like, but are legal. Smoking smell is gross. However, if I am in a place where it's legal, it's on me to move along faster, go somewhere else, etc or otherwise adjust. If I really want to work on it, I could go lobby someone in power to outlaw smoking everywhere.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:52 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Then you need to stay covered.
Rude.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
It's not immodest. Modesty is much more than whether or not you are showing X amount of inches of flesh. You could be completely covered and still be immodest, for example, if the clothing was encrusted with diamonds. It's more about being moderate in behavior, living and yes, to an extent, clothing. Not showing off.

I get a bit uncomfortable with some people's choices in clothing sometimes. However, in almost all cases, women are not "Popping out" (which, just...no) to show off. They are not trying to be flashy, entice people, anything of the sort. THEY ARE FEEDING BABIES. The baby's head will cover it all or mostly. It's only a problem if you keep sitting there and staring.

There's lots of things in public that I may not like, but are legal. Smoking smell is gross. However, if I am in a place where it's legal, it's on me to move along faster, go somewhere else, etc or otherwise adjust. If I really want to work on it, I could go lobby someone in power to outlaw smoking everywhere.
Babies shouldn't be around second hand smoke anyways. I'd gladly ban smoking in public places if women agreed to not breastfeed there in exchange.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:58 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
I don't owe anyone on this earth "modesty." As soon as we starting telling men that they need to consider being "modest," I'll consider listening to that point of view. Breastfeeding a child is not "immodest" or "indecent." No one should be butting their noses into the business of the mother feeding her child. Why make it harder on a parent trying to care for her child?

Don't stare at t*ts unless you're in a strip club. Pretty easy maxim to live by.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I don't owe anyone on this earth "modesty." As soon as we starting telling men that they need to consider being "modest," I'll consider listening to that point of view. Breastfeeding a child is not "immodest" or "indecent." No one should be butting their noses into the business of the mother feeding her child. Why make it harder on a parent trying to care for her child?

Don't stare at t*ts unless you're in a strip club. Pretty easy maxim to live by.
The odds of me looking at your "t*ts" for longer than .001 seconds is exactly nil. Don't whip them out in public though...mmm k?

Old 04-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The odds of me looking at your "t*ts" for longer than .001 seconds is exactly nil. Don't whip them out in public though...mmm k?
I certainly will if it's to breastfeed my child. And if someone gave me trouble for it, I'd whip them out and shake them around, do the hokey pokey and turn myself around and that's what it's all about.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
I suggest nursing mothers carry a mirror, and after their baby is positioned, shine it back at people that don't have the discipline for looking the other way.

If they all did this, then perhaps people with the mentality of westcobb, could be trained social skills. Most of us, know better so it's not likely that a mirror would be used, often, though.
Or why don't breastfeeding women find a private place to do so? Seems much simpler.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:34 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Why don't you ask the next woman you see breastfeeding in public, WestCobb? Let her know you are very sensitive and cannot handle it, and let her know you expect her and her hungry baby to accommodate your delicate sensibilities.

Let us know how that goes over.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:40 PM

I breastfed my wailing kid on a crowded plane when he was an infant. I guess I could have hauled buns up to the "private" cockpit or down into the cargo hold, but I chose to just try to help him right there where we were seated. It was like magic, too, how well it worked. Pop a nip into a gaping maw of a screaming infant and miracles occur. Quiet, sanity-saving miracles.

I could have strapped us to the wing and waited for William Shatner to notice us... there's something... on the WING... some... THING... but it seemed like a lot of work... and my "floppy boobs" might have gotten caught up in a wind gust. You just never can predict what might happen in these situations. Better to just stay in "plane" sight and do what Nature intended, is what I thought.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:47 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I certainly will if it's to breastfeed my child. And if someone gave me trouble for it, I'd whip them out and shake them around, do the hokey pokey and turn myself around and that's what it's all about.
No one wants to see that. Dial down the hysteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies