Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Firstly, Israel is planning on entering into Gaza, evacuating large portions of the population and basically carpet bombing the place. In the meantime, they have shut off power, water, and electricity in effect collectively punishing all people living there, be they terrorist, suspected terrorist, civilian men, women, and children. Matters not that this is also terrorism in response to terrorism and is also a violation of the 4th article of the Geneva Convention.

Secondly, the PLO is no longer and hasn't been a viable organization for quite some time now. Hamas on the other hand has an interesting history. Israel at one time supported both politically and financially the Hamas organization as a means to splinter the then powerful PLO which was seen as a much greater threat. This was done because at the time Hamas was still small and less known, as no one could then foresee that it would one day be elected as the government of the Palestinian people. We call this, unintended consequences.
Blaming Israel because Hamas metastasized into the murderous tumor it has become is like blaming FDR for allying us with Stalin to destroy the Nazis.

The Israelis have every right to live in peace as a civilized nation engaged in things other than conducting wars and brainwashing its children into glorifying murder and suicide.

That the Palestinians are incapable of any activity other than revenge killing and the cultivation of ancient hatreds is not the fault of Israel, but of the other Arab states -- who have kept the Palestinians out of their countries and in a permanent condition of indigence, living in squalid camps as a festering sore of hatred to be used as proxy forces against the Israelis, whose only "crime" is to be Jewish and to have somehow survived the Holocaust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
It is in Hammas's hands to stop this bloodshed. If they carry on denying Israel should exist and bombing Israel, they cannot look suprised when Israel responds. If Israel was the big ogre that some people say they are, they could have finished the Palastinians off completely, years ago.
Well there are over a million people you are talking about so it take some time to dispose of them, be patient.

Gaza condition worse since 1967-Im so tired of that place.

Peace, like war cannot be waged by a single side.

As I have said previously, this is an issue that I feel should be handled in one of two ways. Either the United States stops funding ALL sides of this conflict or since we do fund all sides in this conflict, force a negotiated peace through the use of UN peacekeeping forces. Since Israel has rejected UN peacekeepers in Israel or the territories they occupy, then it would seem only the former solution is viable.

If you frequently read Israeli newspapers as I do, you will find there is in fact a great deal of debate on how to handle this situation. There are in fact many Israeli's who disagree with the Likud heavy handed approach, especially when they make comments such as this:

Images of horror in yeshiva to be distributed worldwide - Israel News, Ynetnews
Quote:
Israel decides to take advantage of Thursday's bloody terror attack in Jerusalem in order to launch aggressive campaign against Hamas
While it is unlikely that many here will be outraged at the use of a tragedy to, "take advantage" and launch an aggressive campaign, many people in Israel are. Keep in mind that the person who committed this horrible and terrorist act has already been killed. All that is left is revenge, and hence my point about this being a never ending perpetuating cycle of violence that I object to having to fund through my tax dollars.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:40 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
Default Follow-up article by AP

Israelis mourn 8 killed at seminary - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Israelis mourn 8 killed at seminary

By MATTI FRIEDMAN, Associated Press Writer

The attack came on the heels of an Israeli offensive on Gaza that Palestinian officials say killed more than 120. The campaign targeted militants who have been barraging southern Israel with rockets. Four Israelis have also been killed in fighting since last week.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:43 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
So, Israel is getting bombarded with rockets. As a response, Israel attacks military targets. In response to this, an Israeli school library full of innocents gets attacked. I still am having a hard time seeing how Israel is as much at fault as their opponents here.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
So, Israel is getting bombarded with rockets. As a response, Israel attacks military targets. In response to this, an Israeli school library full of innocents gets attacked. I still am having a hard time seeing how Israel is as much at fault as their opponents here.
You see the Palestinians are slightly darker and that tends to mean they are less to blame for their actions.

In a non-wise ass tone, Israel is not to blame. Israel was created out of a British territory and the fact that a tiny sliver of Middle East belong to some non-muslims is enough reason for many in the Middle East to hate them.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:42 PM

316 posts, read 596,179 times
Default Foolish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
You see the Palestinians are slightly darker and that tends to mean they are less to blame for their actions.

In a non-wise ass tone, Israel is not to blame. Israel was created out of a British territory and the fact that a tiny sliver of Middle East belong to some non-muslims is enough reason for many in the Middle East to hate them.
America was created out of Spanish, French and English land. Oh - and that land was created out of Native land... So I suppose if the Indians start to bomb American cities, French, Spanish, or Britian, they would be justified to have sane people comment?

Good Lord!

By the way - on who's authority are you establishing which land was owned by whom?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:44 PM

316 posts, read 596,179 times
Default Race??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
As I listened to the news this morning on NPR on my way to work, I can only say a prayer over and over for those kids whose only fault is to be born in the wrong race in the wrong place. I can only feel as a parent and have no other emotion over news like this. And I hear it all on the same morning with news that the 22-year old student body president of UNC Chapel Hill was murdered. My heart cries out for parents of any race, creed and color whose children become the victims of hate and anger and inhumanity.
I suppose you are part of the correct race? Superace - Masterace... which is it anyways??

I suppose you are above the fray. Tell me please oh great one... What is G-D planning next?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:51 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
America was created out of Spanish, French and English land. Oh - and that land was created out of Native land... So I suppose if the Indians start to bomb American cities, French, Spanish, or Britian, they would be justified to have sane people comment?

Good Lord!

By the way - on who's authority are you establishing which land was owned by whom?

Please let's not be biased and forget the Dutch, I happen to be very fond of New Amsterdam

And something I've asked in another thread with no attempt at being flip or humorous but: Doesn't it seem just a bit suapicious that the book claiming the Israelites are God's chosen people was written by the Israelites?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:53 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Please let's not be biased and forget the Dutch, I happen to be very fond of New Amsterdam

And something I've asked in another thread with no attempt at being flip or humorous but: Doesn't it seem just a bit suapicious that the book claiming the Israelites are God's chosen people was written by the Israelites?
About as odd as the Quran being written by Muslims.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
About as odd as the Quran being written by Muslims.

That's my point with just about any religion when their own book proclaims them to be the best, how meaningful is that to those of a different faith?

It's like a Ford salesman telling you a Ford's a great car, I'm a lot more convinced if a Chevy salesman tells me a Ford's a great car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies