Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 03:34 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Most immigrants to those country "buy in" to America and they feel as though they belong here, can prosper here, and can be an "American", which means you are an immigrant to this country just like the rest of us.

In Europe many Muslims don't feel as though they are part of their respective country and they form their own enclave, where they do not assimilate to a culture where they feel unwelcome. I believe it is more the part of Europeans to mind their own business than it is hostility towards welcoming in these foreigners, at least in large part.

We don't have very many "terrorism" issues with homegrown Muslims, and even most refugees. The percentages are miniscule. And that is why it is so incredibly ignorant to want to demonize Muslims in this country and make them feel alienated, which will only create a future terrorism problem in America that does not exist presently.

Do conservatives understand this dynamic? I think that many do, but I don't have any idea what percentage. As long as immigrants feel welcome here they will be fine citizens of this country because they know how lucky they are to live in it, and appreciate it more than people born here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 03:36 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Most immigrants to those country "buy in" to America and they feel as though they belong here, can prosper here, and can be an "American", which means you are an immigrant to this country just like the rest of us.

In Europe many Muslims don't feel as though they are part of their respective country and they form their own enclave, where they do not assimilate to a culture where they feel unwelcome. I believe it is more the part of Europeans to mind their own business than it is hostility towards welcoming in these foreigners, at least in large part.

We don't have very many "terrorism" issues with homegrown Muslims, and even most refugees. The percentages are miniscule. And that is why it is so incredibly ignorant to want to demonize Muslims in this country and make them feel alienated, which will only create a future terrorism problem in America.

Do conservatives understand this dynamic? I think that many do, but I don't have any idea what percentage. As long as immigrants feel welcome here they will be fine citizens of this country because they know how lucky they are to live in it, and appreciate it more than people born here.
^ this is something I have tried to explain to many of the right but they don't seem to grasp the reasons why the US has had much less trouble with homegrown Islamic fundamentalism than in Europe.

It's not that they don't understand, they don't care. Many on the right live in a simplistic world where White = right and everyone else is a "leech", a "terrorist in the making", an "invader", a "criminal", etc

Old 04-14-2017, 03:41 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
I grew up with many Muslims, went to school with them...from kindergarten through 12th grade. Both middle-eastern Muslims and African Muslims. They're people just like everyone else. They were on my football team, a few muslim kids played in concert band with me my freshman year.

Most Americans that are not tolerant of Muslims are rural people that have never been around them. Many urban/suburban Americans that live in bigger cities are probably in close proximity to Muslims one way or another (sit next to them on the train, walk past them downtown, behind them in like at Starbucks, etc) and realize that most people are just people.

The rural Americans that want to "take their country back" and MAGA have probably never been around or talked to a Muslim person in their entire life. And they believe the crazy Muslim propaganda that conservative nut-job talk show hosts feed them.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:42 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Trump has created a scenario and atmosphere where everyone but us is bad. Muslims bad. Mexicans bad. Mid Easterners bad. etc, etc.

We know that is absolutely preposterous and biased as Hell, but he found a certain segment of our society who paint all people of one religion or nationality with the same broad brush. Just look at some of the comments on here, and you get a pretty good idea how this mindset works. They ignore the scientists, Doctors, professionals, American soldiers, and all other types that contribute to America and make it even better.

Trump spoke volumes when he said "They are sending their rapists, drug dealers, murderers, and, I ASSUME, some are good people !" You will notice he minimized the "good people" by putting them in the minority. Whatever their leader says, they believe.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Obviously.

American Muslims assimilate into our society. They intermarry with other religions. They're secular.

European Muslims are marginalized and denied any real opportunities beyond a simple sustensce living with the possible exception of Britain.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:51 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
yes, I think American Muslims are far different than European Muslims.

The vast majority of Muslim immigrants to the US are good skilled people and are well integrated.

Europe on the other hand can be reached by boat or even on foot, and their politically correct politicians are reluctant to deport even illegal ones who have committed serious crimes. They are also more welcoming of economic migrants and refugees - while not all of them are bad people, many are just not skilled and will likely end up angry and disenfranchised, leading to crime and extremism.

I don't worry about the American Muslims at all.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:55 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
You people.

Are all white people the same?
If so, shame on you.

Are all Christians the same?
If so, shame on you.

Are all blue-eyed people the same?
If so, shame on you.

This toddleresque need to label and categorize every single person based on arbitrary characteristics is just tiresome.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:58 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
So most of the Americans that don't like Muslims aren't putting all of them in the same "bad people" group????

Are you serious?!

Old 04-14-2017, 04:00 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
If the Muslims here were mainstream they wouldn't let their kids get radicalized.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
What I have tried to explain to the people on the left is it is because that we discriminate when allowing muslims to immigrate and they come in small enough numbers to make assimilation much more likely. We also place less burdens on employers. Employers in the USA can rid themselves of workers easier which means they can hire riskier candidates without being stuck with a mistake. Groups with high numbers of unemployed will commit more crimes.

I fully support the Muslim immigration policies and numbers that existed before the Syrian crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies